Can someone explain GIGS, please.

+
Im wondering how deep the rabbit hole goes, and if its anything as deep as Mass effect was.
Do GIGS have any influence in any way to the story, such as dialog choices, or effect relationships with characters or factions.
Is there and special content, such as items, etc that are unlocked via gigs?
Are they, or is any gig dependent on story or side quest progression, eg, missable if you did/did not complete (X) quest?

Please leave out any spoilers. cheers.

Edit, there are one-off special items to be collected for free from certain gigs, such as an iconic car among others.

Last edited:

msxyz

Forum regular
Think Witcher's contracts where the Smartphone / NPCD database link replaces the wooden board

Salfin

Forum regular
Gigs are generally straight forward merc jobs, often with a little narrative written into each one, mostly through the briefing, messages, and enviroment. I can't think of any that influence the story or relationships. Which is a boon in the sense that you can feel pretty free in picking them up or refusing them. And doing them how you want to without worrying about how it affects everything else. They're actually nice when you want to put the story missions on hold for a bit, and just live out that fantasy of being a merc solo in Night City. If you go into it looking for main story content you may be dissapointed though.

My only wish is that there was a bit more of a mechanic of hanging around at Afterlife and picking up these jobs. Maybe hire a netrunner or something to help you knock out the security for a specific job. Could add to the story of each one a bit AND you could wheel and deal on prices.

Last edited:
Doing fixer jobs can affect how you interact with them during main missions (but in a miniscule way).

I feel like gigs were originally meant to have a bigger role as far as V's progressing to becoming a Legend of Night City, but because of the cruch and hasty release, they were put on the back burner.

Is it just me or is it weird that we undermine the gang the fixer is associated with. Like Wakako and Ibarra mainly, Wakako refers to Tyger Claws a few times as 'her boys'. Wouldn't it make more sense for her to be sending us on missions into enemy territory? All you ever do for her is raid Tyger Claw dens. Same with Ibarra and the Valentinos.

I mean how many times would a gang like Tyger Claws put up with this shit before they think 'hey, wakako is behind all this bad shit'.

So NCPD quests and Gigs are side content and don't impact the story at all. It's kind of annoying at points when you meet someone you already know and have high-rep with and in the Gig they treat you like they don't even know you and treat you like doggie-dodo only to turn around and treat you like a friend again. They're there for money and occasionally decent gear. The big difference is who gives them to you, a fixer or the NCPD.

Side missions may or may not effect the story as a whole, but tend to be longer more indepth quests, which introduce you to various characters. Money overall tends to be lower then gigs (on a one to one basis) simply due to there's a lot of filler content missions in side missions, but tends to spike higher at then end (I've seen side gigs give me 10s of thousands of eddies, while side gigs you'll be lucky to break a thousand per gig sometimes). They tend to be given to you by the people themselves, and are more side hussles for friends and friends-of-friends. They are optional in the grand scheme of things, but may have impacts (small ones) on what ending quests are available to you.

Main quests are basically the storyline you have to do to finish the game.
Post automatically merged:

Is it just me or is it weird that we undermine the gang the fixer is associated with. Like Wakako and Ibarra mainly, Wakako refers to Tyger Claws a few times as 'her boys'. Wouldn't it make more sense for her to be sending us on missions into enemy territory? All you ever do for her is raid Tyger Claw dens. Same with Ibarra and the Valentinos.

I mean how many times would a gang like Tyger Claws put up with this shit before they think 'hey, wakako is behind all this bad shit'.

Why? You're a deniable asset, and just like all people in positions of power, they'll use you to lower the standing of a rival while raising their own. Wakako and Ibarra aren't sending you after their people, they're sending you after a rivals people, making money off the contract, while also lowering the standing and power of a rival. Win-win.

Top Bottom