Can V be a monster?

+
There is that, but also... One of the biggest things humans have used their imagination for throughout history, is how to make other people suffer, whether they are adversaries or rejects or what ever. And it echoes today still. We don't have coliseums anymore where tigers maul the gladiators, but violence and suffering interests people still, sometimes to unhealthy lengths but nonetheless. People tend to prefer story settings that are dark and where people are miserable and get hurt (physically and/or mentally); people tend to relate better to the bad guys in stories, how evil and cruel and insidious they are - rather than to the altruism of the hero. I.e. every Bond film is defined by how "good" their villain is.

Perhaps that is so that there'd be a point of reference so we could actually feel "good" when there's reason to, that joy doesn't come for granted. I dunno, I'm not a psychologist, but there is a logic to be found there.
People are just complicated. And as much as human society waevolving through war and violence and suffering, people went to great length to reduce that suffering without rejecting the violence and war. In fiction great villians, those who are praised more than the hero tend to be those who use cunning insted of violence, or a violence in a cunning way, and only if their violence is a meaning to and end. We fall for "baddies" with a cause. They are just interesting characters. They are flawed and complicated and multidimensional. Heroes are usually bland, 2d robots. As for condemning abuse more than murder. Killing can sometimes be justified. Abuse almost never.

And another thing. Some people are only waiting for the opportunity to blame video games for the mess they create. So don't give them ammo. People are mostly in terms with video games being more or less violent. But really cringe and sick stuff? No go. And not just sales wise. Sales wise, the more sick and fucked up stuff may even be better, but do we really need to rape kids with their mother corpses, not really I think...

In fiction great villians, those who are praised more than the hero tend to be those who use cunning insted of violence, or a violence in a cunning way, and only if their violence is a meaning to and end. We fall for "baddies" with a cause. They are just interesting characters. They are flawed and complicated and multidimensional.

Like Pinhead and the cenobites? I get your point though.

As for condemning abuse more than murder. Killing can sometimes be justified. Abuse almost never.

Ohhh, that door opens both ways. Abuse can also be justified (in a same manner as killing a "bad person" would end his hurting of others) if it leads to better and possibly even more moral behavior (what ever the moral context might be).

And another thing. Some people are only waiting for the opportunity to blame video games for the mess they create. So don't give them ammo. People are mostly in terms with video games being more or less violent. But really cringe and sick stuff? No go. And not just sales wise. Sales wise, the more sick and fucked up stuff may even be better, but do we really need to rape kids with their mother corpses, not really I think...
What gives them ammo is catering to what they say.

What gives them ammo is catering to what they say.
And they say "games are sick for sick fucks". So the best way to prove that games are not sick and for sick fuck is not include sick content for sick fuck. You can still mame a dark, mature game with vilence, sex, difficult themes without resorting to letting player rape and eat infants.

We don't need graphic depiction of sex, it can be done more subtle.
Okay. I'm just saying if you add rape, torture, child abuse, etc. to the game, it's going to get an AO rating and possibly a ban. As such, CDPR will not do it. You asked if V "can" be a monster. I'm telling you she probably can't, not in the way you want.

Okay. I'm just saying if you add rape, torture, child abuse, etc. to the game, it's going to get an AO rating and possibly a ban. As such, CDPR will not do it. You asked if V "can" be a monster. I'm telling you she probably can't, not in the way you want.
Neither Fallout or Vampire: The Masquerade got AO ratings. Even GTAV with gruesome torture and Modern Warfare with it's mass murder of civilans in airport didn't get AO ratings.

All I can say is no matter what the game is rated kids will play it as Mommy/Daddy will buy it to shut the kid up. Then have a freakout on what the kid is playing. Remember Mortal Kombat when it was resleased for home play, Parents were like my kid is killing people in this game never once actually noticing the games title.

And they say "games are sick for sick fucks". So the best way to prove that games are not sick and for sick fuck is not include sick content for sick fuck. You can still mame a dark, mature game with vilence, sex, difficult themes without resorting to letting player rape and eat infants.
They say a lot of stupid shit, doesn't mean authors should oblige and sacrifice vision. Nobody is suggesting rape or eating of infants.

Agreed. But that's just how our world is, for some reason. I get squeamish when thinking about, say, child abuse, but mowing down pedestrians in GTA doesn't bother me (of course, I wouldn't do either of these things in real life).

idk , I never felt remorseful walloping the kids in Skyrim. Just depends how realistic the depiction/annoying the character

Well.
If CDPR presents Night City, and it's law enforcement, realistically you might want to be ready to meet the SWAT (or CSWAT depending on your augmentations) team up close and personal.
Not the first time you do something (they're not that efficient), or the second, or probably even the fifth ... but eventually you will be on their radar.

Maybe someone will send you flowers ... but I doubt it if you're that big a scumbag.

Interesting Idea, I would love to have more freedom, kill NPCs, maybe even Quest Givers.
Enslave people if you think it will make you rich quicker but there are consequences. Less people might deal with you or outright hunt you.

Top Bottom