Can we please Nerf Sniper Rifles?

+
Just a side question for people who defend sniper rifles and CP77 balance in general: do you think it's okay that the final boss fight - the culmination of the story when the hero meets his nemesis - can be ended in a fraction of a second with one shot?
I missed this one. For myself, weapon balance really isn't an issue to me as I play for enjoyment, getting lost in the game environment for awhile. I do know and have met some folks that take (any) games way to seriously. I can use Division and D2 as an example and I tend to avoid them. I can say that Division and D2 did teach me a lot about weapon balance, but it occurs to me that weapon balance would be far more important in that game environment since you can play with other players. I have never thought much about it since I prefer single player games. I tend to stay away from multiplayer games.

Regarding the ending when you meet Smasher, I really did expect more then that. I was completely amazed that I was able to take him down so fast with just a katana, did not expect that. I figured this would be a knock down drag out battle that would take a while, the fight I had with Oda was more challenging then Smasher. I have no idea if you could one shot him using a sniper rifle (or any other weapon), say the 'O'five, Overwatch or even just a legendary Grad. I only played that far with my first game and I'll never go up against Smasher again as I won't go past the 'point of no return' after that ending I had, that's just me.

Interesting questions.

the total uninhibited god mode, player noninteractivity, and general - imo - painfully trivial gameplay given as default on the hardest difficulty in CP77.
Okay, honestly at the beginning in very hard, I take 3-4 balls (or even less) and I am dead so I really do not see where is the "god mode" of which you speak. Yes at the end, I could feel more powerful, but I do all for that (guns/clothes mods/cyberwares/QH). But even with that, I can die pretty easily in open combat.

In short, if your "balancing" is :
it takes 10 times more bullets to kill an enemy ("bullet's sponge") and less to kill me, no thank you... without me (it's not BD3).

I kill with one or two bullets and vice versa, that's perfectly fine with me :)
(and seriously, how you can remain discreet with a gun with a silencer if you need 10 bullets to kill and the first bullet, you are spotted...)

Last edited:
as i said, if this insane damage makes you happy, nerf some other mechanics, like the bullet production for the sniper rifles.
use blue item parts to build the sniper bullets instead of grey ones and the bullet production output should be cut in half or even decrease more-

this makes at least the bullets a bit more expensive. 5 bullets cost 50 blue item parts. this would probably be a way. it would at least reduce Sniper Rifle Rampage in the early game.

and another thing that might work too: disable sniper bullets going thru walls if you farther away than 30 - 50 meters. or give the bullets "chances to pierce thru walls" depending on the distance. like 10 meters away = 100% to pierce the wall, 100 meters away = 10% to pierce the wall.

those two things, more expensive bullets + ending this insane shoot everything thru walls from the other side of town mechanics would put Sniper Rifles in a position that wouldnt make any other weapon completely obsolete.

Just a side question for people who defend sniper rifles and CP77 balance in general: do you think it's okay that the final boss fight - the culmination of the story when the hero meets his nemesis - can be ended in a fraction of a second with one shot?

Took him out in with my Katana in a fraction of a second of attacks! And I worked extremely hard for that by grinding up my skills and weapons before I got to the end. That was my plan, make the end boss a slice of cake because I earned it. So no the Sniper rifles are no more powerful than any other weapon if you combine all the factors (ammo availability, shots per second, reload time, hit damage and accuracy, range efficiency and geometry).

I am very happy that theses days most players hate bullet sponge mechanics, that was not the case 20 years ago, God help me...

Last edited:
Took him out in with my Katana in a fraction of a SECOND of attacks! And I worked extremely hard for that by grinding up amy skills and weapons before I got to the end. That was my plan, make the end boss a slice of cake because I EARNED it. So no the Sniper rifles are no more powerful than any other weapon if you combine all the factors (ammo availability, shots per second, reload time, hit damage and accuracy, range efficiency and geometry).

I am very happy that theses days most players hate bullet sponge mechanics, that was not the case 20 years ago, God help me...
no one wants bullet sponges and no one wants to destroy your highly so called earned endgame kill.
i just want to end godlike 200 meter distance one shoot kills thru 5 walls after 5 minutes of gameplay.

no one wants bullet sponges and no one wants to destroy your highly so called earned endgame kill.
i just want to end godlike 200 meter distance one shoot kills thru 5 walls after 5 minutes of gameplay.
Like many have saying previously :
It's a solo game, if you don't like it, don't do it. No need to force those who like it to no to use it...
It's like the "money glitch" with the painting, if CDPR had not corrected it in 1.2, that wouldn't have bothered me, I wasn't using it... but those who wanted to do it, could do it. it bothered no one other than them.

Many "it", but it's simply as that :)

Honestly, what you're suggesting is to force everyone to play in a way, because you think it's better. A little selfish for my taste, no ?

Last edited:
Like many have saying previously :
It's a solo game, if you don't like it, don't do it. No need to force those who like it to no to use it...
It's like the "money glitch" with the painting, if CDPR had not corrected it in 1.2, that wouldn't have bothered me, I wasn't using it... but those who wanted to do it, could do it. it bothered no one other than them.

Many "it", but it's simply as that :)

Honestly, what you're suggesting is to force everyone to play in a way, because you think it's better. A little selfish for my taste, no ?

i dont want to force you to play some way. in fact im a sniper player myself. i think 95% of my kills are made with snipers.
i like snipers. i just find it too easy and not satisfying enough to play them, cause they are too OP in any kind of way.
and thats the problem, i like to play as a sniper, but sniper play is just plain boring cause its too easy.

but gunplay in this game is balanced real bad for nearly any kind of weapon, the only thing that is balanced somehow okayish are non power-type shotguns. everything else is poorly and awefully balanced, which makes my "Singleplayer"-immersion just plain boring.

By the way, I'm not criticizing here, I am genuinely interested as I study games academically and I wrote my master thesis on popular culture in games and how people receive it across different cultures. if you love the game so much (and you surely do for you wouldn't be defending it if there were no emotions involved) why in the world would you rush through it without doing any side content or attempting at developing your character?

Last part, that's what I do on every other later play-through. I don't rush the game, and gear up to the max as soon as possible and take my time.

so you really think its a good idea to make a 250 DPS weapon deal 20,000 Damage and also make it possible to shoot thru like 6 walls in the head of a guy that is already marked by your cyberware?

i tell you how every fight works in town:
stand on a bridge > shoot in the head of 10 enemies that are like one mile away and behind 200 walls > profit!!???!
i don't think you need to nerf the sniper rifle category, in fact just dont use them, or if you want to still use them theres a mod that escalates enemy level with your weapon level and damage, also you can make it harder if you dont put any point into any kind of thing that uses bullets e.g. (go melee and use snipers)

but gunplay in this game is balanced real bad for nearly any kind of weapon, the only thing that is balanced somehow okayish are non power-type shotguns. everything else is poorly and awefully balanced, which makes my "Singleplayer"-immersion just plain boring.
I think your answer illustrates quite well what I said previously :(
I can understand that it's a shame that you feel it like that, but it would force anyone who finds it funny, to comply with your view of things.

Anyway, I don't think and I hope that CDPR doesn't change anything in terms of weapons in the future. Except if a multiplayer mode appears, but which, for me, will be completely separate from the Solo mode.

and another thing that might work too: disable sniper bullets going thru walls if you farther away than 30 - 50 meters. or give the bullets "chances to pierce thru walls" depending on the distance. like 10 meters away = 100% to pierce the wall, 100 meters away = 10% to pierce the wall.
I compare the sniper rifles in this game with the Barrett sniper rifle, so was looking for some footage of the Barrett's capability to shoot through walls. Seems footage is kinda scarce, but found this of another rifle. Check out its penetrating force. Keep in mind that, although guessing, the Barrett seems far more superior and advanced compared to these.

Last edited:
I'm french, so the fire arms... I'm total ignorant in this domain :)
But Barrett seems pretty powerful (Barrett sound like a Cyberpunk Grad).
In any case, a wall of concrete don't stop the bullet (that's for sure) :)

ya1

Forum regular
Okay, honestly at the beginning in very hard, I take 3-4 balls (or even less) and I am dead so I really do not see where is the "god mode" of which you speak. Yes at the end, I could feel more powerful, but I do all for that (guns/clothes mods/cyberwares/QH). But even with that, I can die pretty easily in open combat.

Okay. Yeah, you die from two bullets unless you stack armor. But... when are you ever forced to "open combat" aka tanking dmg? The triviality of CP77 combat stems from

1) the VERY limited AI that never really forces you to adapt any strategies that put you in danger. It's shooting ducks, mostly. One-shotting. They are very static, as if they WANTED to line up for headshots. They totally don't react to grenades, tech weapons, being pinned down by a sniper, AoE effects, etc. Also, AI in CP has big problems traversing the environment. In many encounters, all it takes is cross the street, and they can't follow you. (But honestly except the first few levels you never have to do that unless you play naked, in a normal game you just kill everyone before they blink).

2) Very slow animations and low aggression. Between the time you are noticed to the time when you are in danger, you usually have ages. You can one-shot 3-5 guys before you see any bullets (or 10-20 on Sandevistan). Once you start one-shotting, you end encounters faster than you can loot them.

3) They overdid the lower-aggression-when-not-looked-at trick. Many games do that, but CP overdid it so much. When you turn your back to them to get to the next cover, their aggression is like halved. You can do that always. This can carry you through the game even when playing naked (no perks, attributes, cybers). Also, stun locks are overdone - but again this is only relevant when you gimp your offense on purpose. If you don't you just one-shoot everything.

4) Armor. It is in fact a percentage dmg reduction scaling up linearly with flat armor. 1000 armor = about 12% dmg redux (this is why first half of the game armor is pretty much useless, and then quite suddenly you get immortal). With cold blood you can get immortality. 7500-8500 armor gets you there, as depending on level difference modifiers it should stack to 99% dmg reduction. Who designed it? I don't know.

5) Fantasy mechanics. Sandevistan and Quickhacking. This is what I mean by total noninteractivity. Once you get to Street Cred 20 to buy QianT MK4 from Fingers, you're god mode (but other Sandevistans also get you there). You can get 16s slow mo with 4s downtime - so virtually permanent slow mo where enemies can't act. You basically freeze the world, legit, as a default game mechanics, no cheats. Quickhacks? Once you get the cheap Raven (upgraded later to Netwatch), golden Ping and Contagion, you clear whole levels with two clicks of a mouse, in total safety. Does anyone with some experience in gaming really think this is not broken?

I really like this game for how it looks and feels but these things are totally ruining it. CDPR desperately needs experienced gameplay and AI devs (or/and management who will actually let them finish their work). This is imo amateur hour.

Also, some of those things might have changed aka gotten ninja fixed. They did that to a few things. This info is mostly from 1.1.

Last edited:
Like I said previously (and also many other players) and for the last time :
If you don't like a feature/item (like armor +7000, Legendary Sandevistan or overpowered sniper rifles...), don't use them and let those who like use them... nothing to add...
We will see if CDPR want to change something, obviously I really think and I bet on "no" :)

I don't use sniper rifles cause... not my style, but nerfing them is no fun. Use a weaker version if you don't wanna one shot people. Whenever you see snipers in movies and stuff they are almost always one shotting people. Your distance us your biggest ally with a sniper weapon which is why when you shoot em your supposed to quickly finish them off. Don't have to worry about your target trying to get away or look for you if you one shotted them.

as i said, if this insane damage makes you happy, nerf some other mechanics, like the bullet production for the sniper rifles. this makes at least the bullets a bit more expensive. 5 bullets cost 50 blue item parts. this would probably be a way. it would at least reduce Sniper Rifle Rampage in the early game.
If something could/would be done I don't mind this. hell, I'd be perfectly okay with this in all honesty.
Next to this ofcourse if any of my previously suggested things were to be used in a sort of "balance pack" for the snipers I'd pretty much be okay.

To recap:
- Sniper Rifle bullets are higher grade shells and require more rare materials to craft them. (btw, I would like differently grade shells in a way... but I'm getting ahead of myself :p )
- Scopes have greater magnification by default, like 150% of what it is now. and allow a level of zoom between the 125% / 175% <-- numbers can be different.
- Scopes of the type {E305 Prospecta and HPO Mk.77 Kanone Max} no longer have the ability to highlight enemies through walls. Additionally All Nekomata Sniper Rifles and SPT32 Grad Sniper Rifles (as well as Iconic variants) have a secondary mod slot in which they can insert the Cyberware mod that highlights enemies behind objects (the one that is also used for kiroshi optics.
Fallback option: this second modslot is only available for sniper rifles of these types when grade rare or higher.

I'm french, so the fire arms... I'm total ignorant in this domain :)
But Barrett seems pretty powerful (Barrett sound like a Cyberpunk Grad).
In any case, a wall of concrete don't stop the bullet (that's for sure) :)
I think what many people forget, is that weapons like the SPT32 Grad (Equivalent to an M82/ M107/ BFG-50 I believe) are anti-materiel; designed to fire (12.7mm calibre) rounds that deal damage against armoured vehicles.

Keeping this in mind, it should come as no surprise that they deal the amount of damage that they do against soft tissue/ body armour/ mechs.

GTA is exactly the same; anybody using the Heavy Sniper/ MK II Heavy Sniper will kill another player with full health/ full armour in one hit, (two at most, if it's a body shot and/ or the target is protected). Given that the SPT32 Grad has a huge magazine that only holds four rounds, logically, if a firearm can fire these (massive) rounds, then they should be dealing about the amount of damage that they do in-game against soft tissue/ body armour and mechs. The painful reload times and very limited ammo capacity are good balancing factors in my humble opinion.

TLDR; to my mind, the current system seems physically and logically accurate, so we can just leave well enough alone :)

The only thing that I would like is photo mode poses for sniper rifles being fired from a laid-flat (using the tripod legs) and stood upright position.

I think what many people forget, is that weapons like the SPT32 Grad (Equivalent to an M82/ M107/ BFG-50 I believe) are anti-materiel; designed to fire (12.7mm calibre) rounds that deal damage against armoured vehicles.
Exactly why I referred to it from the start as a 'portable tankgun'
I am not the most well versed in rifles, but I do know tanks and armoured fighting vehicles :)

Keeping this in mind, it should come as no surprise that they deal the amount of damage that they do against soft tissue/ body armour/ mechs.
Even if a bulletproof vest could stop a bullet of this size shooting at over 800m/s, the energy generated by the impact would certainly be sufficient to kill instantly from cardiac arrest or cause fatal internal damages.

Top Bottom