Can we please nerf the Mahakam Guard ?

+
What is this madness? 4 provision card that casually plays for 10 or 11 points??
Tis like Bear Witcher Mentor only a 4 provision version!

The simplest solution is to put a cap (maximum value limit on deploy) on how high then can get, lets say 8 power for Mahakam Guard and 10 for Bear Witcher Mentor.
I mean like playing 2 Guards in a row and BAM 10 + 11 points for 4 provisions?!!? make it gold too. :]

It was always OP but I kept my mouth shut cuz I was among the very few using it cuz Dwarves weren't popular, but now they are so the time for justice is nigh. =)

Last edited:

Mi_V

Forum regular
No, just like NR scytheman, he requires setup, weak in short round. ST dwarf archetype is still weak compare to other factions. Most dwarf gold cards are expensive: Zoltan warrior, Munro (and easy to brick).

It's not weak, lmao. :D I mean if you mean anything below Tear 0 = weak then okay.
And I would like to add that denying a boost for the Scythman is easier then full on killing a dwarf for the Guard. Also simply throwing down a Dwarf is easier then putting down any unit and then boosting it and making sure it's boost doesn't get removed.

Last edited:
Scythman is 4 base power (compared to 3) and has a much easier condition (boost rather than dwarfs) to meet, plus you can play them 3 times (twice off of deck and a 3rd from leader, technically you could also use it with reinforcements). Guard is a payoff card that loses value if you put anything besides a dwarf on your row (like a spy or a drawrven chariot.)

I can only imagine what its like being a dev for this game, as soon as a previously non-meta deck is slightly viable there are constant posts like these asking for the archetypes to be nerfed.

See no reason to nerf this guard. Mahakam Forge is still away from Tier 1 but a fun deck. They need that such bronze units to trade off their other mediocre cards.

If we are strictly looking at the card only without context, it is powerful, but OK. High payoff value in long rounds, terrible in short rounds.

But - as the general rule of thumb - we should never look at cards without context and the actual deck they play in. If we take the whole dwarf archetype, Mahakam Guard is exclusively played in dwarven decks and serves a vital purpose by contributing to the overall (fair) power level of the build as a row finisher. If you'd nerf it for any reason, you'd have to buff a few cards by approximately the same amount to make up for the total loss in points.

If we are strictly looking at the card only without context, it is powerful, but OK. High payoff value in long rounds, terrible in short rounds.

But - as the general rule of thumb - we should never look at cards without context and the actual deck they play in. If we take the whole dwarf archetype, Mahakam Guard is exclusively played in dwarven decks and serves a vital purpose by contributing to the overall (fair) power level of the build as a row finisher. If you'd nerf it for any reason, you'd have to buff a few cards by approximately the same amount to make up for the total loss in points.

Further remarks: The big challenge when you go for dwarfs (dependent on your deck choice) is how to fill your ranged row as
Dennis Cranmer and Zoltan: Scoundrel both like to Range Boost as unit 9 and Mahakam Guard also wants to be played as last card. I personally dropped both Dennis and Zoltan: Scoundrel from my dwarf deck as I changed my dwarf strategy.

You did well. There are definitely better options for a dwarf deck than those two.

Hehe, before the Leader patch they were definitely not a bad option. Basic value driver was one boosted range row (of course vulnerable to Yrden).
Of course after the patch playing around with armour makes more sense for Broover Buff and more value from Berserker

First of all, i dont whant to mahakam guard be nerfed, i have just said they, now, are better than Scythman

Scythman is 4 base power (compared to 3) and has a much easier condition (boost rather than dwarfs) to meet, plus you can play them 3 times (twice off of deck and a 3rd from leader, technically you could also use it with reinforcements). Guard is a payoff card that loses value if you put anything besides a dwarf on your row (like a spy or a drawrven chariot.)

I can only imagine what its like being a dev for this game, as soon as a previously non-meta deck is slightly viable there are constant posts like these asking for the archetypes to be nerfed.

Even Scythman now beeing 4 points, his deploy abillity has suffer a huge nerf. Its easier put dwarfs in a row than put units and buff the units. So the 1 power point doesnt change the fact that mahakam guards are better than scythman.

With guards you just need to put 8 dwarfs in a row and put him to get his maximum value (11 points), and lets be honest, in dwarfs deck, 90% of the cards are dwarfs. With Schytman you need to put 8 cards in a row and buff them all and pray for your opponent doesnt make damage on the cards and take the buff out, for than you have his maximum value (12 points)

But well, i agree that in a particulary match with spies maybe scythman is better, but only in that case

Even Scythman now beeing 4 points, his deploy abillity has suffer a huge nerf. Its easier put dwarfs in a row than put units and buff the units. So the 1 power point doesnt change the fact that mahakam guards are better than scythman.

With guards you just need to put 8 dwarfs in a row and put him to get his maximum value (11 points), and lets be honest, in dwarfs deck, 90% of the cards are dwarfs. With Schytman you need to put 8 cards in a row and buff them all and pray for your opponent doesnt make damage on the cards and take the buff out, for than you have his maximum value (12 points)
Again, they are only better if you see the card only without context and the decks/builds they support.

It is easy to put 9 dwarves in a row, which takes usually 6-9 turns, depending on spawning/thinning cards used. Fairly straightforward.
If you check in which decks Scythemen are used, you'll see it is just as easy to provide the same amount of boosted bodies as putting dwarves in a row - NR Witchers is a good example for this. Most of the time, units already hit the board buffed, they tend to spawn new units, not to mention the Witcher Trio generating an immediate +3 boost to the counter.

Another important difference is, that while Mahakam Guard is a standalone unit, Scytheman is a Leader ability as well, meaning you can utilize it 3 times instead of 2. This effect was of course a lot more powerful before the row lock nerf.

I'd say both of these cards are fine now and are at a reasonably similar power level in their respective environment.

Top Bottom