Can we please stop the 'it was promised' nonsense?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh boy. :facepalm:

Is that really the standard of excellence we are going for? "More shit works than is broken"?!?

Yeah, you are right, more than 50% of the game works well and as designed. What a resounding tour de force for CDPR.
There's one thing being disappointed with product and other thing having issue with people who liked the game. Statistics per achievement data and Steam user score really highlight that what you subjectively feel are big issues, aren't that for quite large number of players. It does far better than Wasteland 3 and the Outerworlds in terms in player engagement.

I recall after the Witcher that was okay, I pre-ordered the Witcher 2. Then I didn't had time to play it and after couple of years when it was enhanced edition I got back to it. I really didn't like it, played it like 6 hours, but I could also tell that it wasn't designed for my demographic. Things like that, they happen and I moved on and haven't touched swords stuff since that.

I see you mentioned that you have played games for like 40 years. I have some history as well and to put things in perspective, do you remember why we had these things called Trainers during 8-bit era?

If you have been a gamer for any length of time you have been though this a dozen+ of times. Early trailer drops, comments are made a year+ before release, game drops, some of the things shown or said are changed, removed. It happens. THAT is game dev 101. Do you have to like it? No. But if you want to be part of this hobby you need to come to terms with it rather then go off the handle every time it happens acting like it is some great sin no one has ever done before or as if you never seen this before. It is NOT going to change that is the reality of it and the predictable replies of 'well if I make noise they will change'. Suuuure. Go talk to the fans of Daikatana or Star Fleet Command (game was released without its heralded, core feature MP aspect.. and wasn't announced until the day of release) back in the day and let me know how much their angst and angry postings changed the industry. I'll wait.
I completely disagree, its not an issue with the players, but with the industry in that case.

Players shouldn't be encourage to just accept it, but rather the gaming industry should be made aware to not do it then.

If a company released a trailer and lots of content up until release telling you all the cool things you could do and how there were no major issues at all, basically just showing off the most insane things ever and at no point were backing off in regards to this. And then when the game release, nothing like it were in the game, not even the graphics were the same.

What would be the point of trailers then? If you can't trust what the companies are saying, then they should stop making trailers and marketing stuff all together.

You might think that what CDPR did is fine, other don't.. but would you accept it, if a company did as I wrote above? And if not and some other person came telling you to just accept it, because that is just how it is?

If there are no rules in regards to these things, which is basically what you are saying, then this whole industry is in dire need of help.

Respectfully, it's really not about the hype. Even if it nobody heard a word of CP before, it would still disappoint on many levels once people discovered stuff like zero AI, fake stats, no endgame, broken mechanics, no balance... After all CP is a story driven city based open world looter shooter. Except the "story" and "city" parts, it is simply a horrible game in every aspect of this genre.
Oh, but hype absolutely gave that a stronger punch. It wouldn't be outrage otherwise, it'd just be disappointment.

Achievement data for game completion from Xbox:

Wasteland 3: 3,03%
The Outer Worlds: 16,15%
Cyberpunk 2077: 25,09%

Percentage hasn't changed since 1.06. There's also PSN Trophies page that actually show quite similar completion percentage than Xbox.

These numbers tell us that:
1. Game was not in any sort of unplayable mess.
2. Players felt game far more engaging than other, though short games despite perk issues and such.

For a start, using achievement completion rates to make a point about how many people played/are playing a game is not exactly accurate. Second, CP2077 is seen as a AAA blockbuster title, but you are comparing it to a niche CRPG that is ill suited to consoles and has performance issues (Wasteland 3) and an Obsidian game that despite being heralded as a "fallout killer" by some of Obsidian's very loyal fans, it was a modest release and a modest game with fewer people playing it than the internet would have you believe (The Outer Worlds). Just look at the official forum for said game, not even been a single post this year. I enjoyed both games, but they have faults. However, neither is such a cobbled together, Frankenstein's monster of a game that has all style and no substance and where a clear effort was made both in the pre-release and the game itself to fooling the customer into believing the hype had been delivered upon.

For a start, using achievement completion rates to make a point about how many people played/are playing a game is not exactly accurate. Second, CP2077 is seen as a AAA blockbuster title, but you are comparing it to a niche CRPG that is ill suited to consoles and has performance issues (Wasteland 3) and an Obsidian game that despite being heralded as a "fallout killer" by some of Obsidian's very loyal fans, it was a modest release and a modest game with fewer people playing it than the internet would have you believe (The Outer Worlds). Just look at the official forum for said game, not even been a single post this year. I enjoyed both games, but they have faults.
These are the stats we have. It's though notable that both games are quite short, in terms of not overstaying their welcome, yet still didn't managed to keep players engaged like CP 2077 did.

However, neither is such a cobbled together, Frankenstein's monster of a game that has all style and no substance and where a clear effort was made both in the pre-release and the game itself to fooling the customer into believing the hype had been delivered upon.
That's all subjective to put it nicely. Support for CP2077 was way better than for Wasteland 3. On Xbox we had to wait 3 weeks for patch to make it playable past certain point. There were a lot and far more serious issues than with CP 2077.

The Outer Worlds is really great game in terms of its topics and writing and while I personally take that over graphic presentation any day, I'm not sure if everyone in Obsidian fanbase really understood it.

And this fooled to believe in hype is again this people managing to follow hype and yet somehow managed to miss what was said in official channels. You talk like this is some sort of universal phenomena when it wasn't. Most people didn't refund, really huge percentage went and completed game instead.

hat's all subjective to put it nicely. Support for CP2077 was way better than for Wasteland 3. On Xbox we had to wait 3 weeks for patch to make it playable past certain point. There were a lot and far more serious issues than with CP 2077.

The Outer Worlds is really great game in terms of its topics and writing and while I personally take that over graphic presentation any day, I'm not sure if everyone in Obsidian fanbase really understood it.

And this fooled to believe in hype is again this people managing to follow hype and yet somehow managed to miss what was said in official channels. You talk like this is some sort of universal phenomena when it wasn't. Most people didn't refund, really huge percentage went and completed game instead.

I also have an Xbox and have played both games. Wasteland 3 crashed a lot and the general performance could do with a lot of improvement, but it didn't have so many missing or broken features or clear gouges left where content had been stripped out (it clearly does have cut content, but in CP2077, the evidence for the culling is everywhere you look), to say it had/has more issues than CP2077 is seriously stretching things for the purposes of defending CP2077. You seem to miss the point that a lot of people who are very unhappy with the game didn't refund because they are hoping things are improved as promised. They did buy the game to play it in the first place, after all. The mental gymnastics being done to dump the blame for the poor state of this game on anyone other than the company that made it is utterly baffling.

Last edited:
I also have an Xbox and have played both games. Wasteland 3 crashed a lot and the general performance could do with a lot of improvement, but it didn't have so many missing or broken features our clear gouges left where content had been stripped out (it clearly does have cut content, but in CP2077, the evidence for the culling is everywhere you look), to say it had/has more issues than CP2077 is seriously stretching things for the purposes of defending CP2077.
No it's not and I'm not actually defending CDPR, though it may appear to you that way. I really don't give a damn who makes the product, as long it's something that I like.

And Wasteland 3 was unplayable due crash and save corruption bug at HQ in certain part of game.

You seem to miss the point that a lot of people who are very unhappy with the game didn't refund because they are hoping things are improved as promised. They did buy the game to play it in the first place, after all. The mental gymnastics being done to dump the blame for the poor state of this game on anyone other than the company that made it is utterly baffling.
You are making assumptions on behalf of other people based on your whim. What kind of mind goes such lengths and for whatever agenda, I don't care actually.

What was promised has been covered in two dedicated topics, one for 2018 and other for 2019 trailer, press material and such. This cut content claim has been falling apart since.

You are making assumptions on behalf of other people based on your whim. What kind of mind goes such lengths and for whatever agenda, I don't care actually.

With the greatest of respect, so have yourself and others who have been defending this game as well, so it seems odd that you see it that way. The facts are that this game is in a shocking state whatever platform you play on and doesn't even come close to matching the perfectly reasonable expectations I had of the game based on its description by its creators, yet there seems to be some who are trying to shift the narrative and suggest that many of the issues are in the minds of the customers and it is them with the problem. That is just plain gaslighting.

Is there really so many people still complaning? I thought the most went already further, without looking back. CDPR is still good for a bad -hm- example. But 2 months ago i was furios 4x the day. No, I look 2-3 times the week in the forum and say nothing.

Second, CP2077 is seen as a AAA blockbuster title, but you are comparing it to a niche CRPG that is ill suited to consoles and has performance issues (Wasteland 3) and an Obsidian game that despite being heralded as a "fallout killer" by some of Obsidian's very loyal fans, it was a modest release and a modest game with fewer people playing it than the internet would have you believe (The Outer Worlds).
I didn't play Outer Worlds bc it is englisch. After a workday (like today with 10h), I'm really not in the mood to "think" english in a RPG or something similar. Every sentence that I write here already hurts :giveup: and I don't care if I confuse then/than again.
And if you got no need for english in work or private, just forget a story-game. People won't play it. Although they "must" like in GTA or RDR, but OW is not in this class.
CP2077 as "Triple A" is full translated, in many languages. At least that went ok.

So, this may be another reason why Outer Worlds (or other games without x languages) got less playthroughs.

With the greatest of respect, so have yourself and others who have been defending this game as well, so it seems odd that you see it that way. The facts are that this game is in a shocking state whatever platform you play on and doesn't even come close to matching the perfectly reasonable expectations I had of the game based on its description by its creators, yet there seems to be some who are trying to shift the narrative and suggest that many of the issues are in the minds of the customers and it is them with the problem. That is just plain gaslighting.
I got statistics to back my claims, you have opinions.

Before 1.1 I had 100% completion for every district in game, after 1.1 one NCPD mission popped up in Pacifica and I got 100% completion for Pacifica after completing that. So what is this shocking state?

And this never ending, perfectly reasonable expectations that end up always being something else very abstract or about content that was not promised to begin with.

Always shifting goal posts, low IQ drain without endgame.

Realistically, certain perks and certain cyberware glitches will be fixed, but they are not going to write a new story for you and I don't want them to because I liked the one we got. Certain mission scripts will be examined and improved, but they are not going to re-create major NPC's that are huge part of this game to suit your taste, and I hope not because I like them the way they are. So why are you here really?

This is one of these post-modern issues. In general people, we do spot patterns and outliers, more or less. But then what is happening in social media and technology that encourages or is even built (facebook) on these information and confirmation bubbles, consequently there's a lot people don't see.
Then there's why to get involved to begin with as certain element has long history of not being able to solve their issues regardless of circumstances anyway. What there would be to gain from discussing with people like that? Say I know about Qanon via mainstream media and it's good to know about something like that and we discuss about these things within our family, but getting further involved? What would that serve?

And it really goes even further, there are lot of people like me who simply usually don't get involved with any of these as private persons. For me writing here, this is exception. Usual social media stuff is, I can actually cover that all and even put my face to company photo, when it comes with a job, work related things. There might be a lot of discussion about this and that but something like what you are referring to just isn't a factor on professional side of things.

So yeah, a lot of people, me included can be also more or less naive about what kind of motives there are at play.
Post automatically merged:

Achievement data for game completion from Xbox:

Cyberpunk 2077: 25,09%

But I assume that ignores the fact that the achievements are pretty easy to get in CP'77 compared to most games. Even I had 100% by the time I was half way through my second playthru... and it usually takes me months, even years in some cases, to get everything.

But I assume that ignores the fact that the achievements are pretty easy to get in CP'77 compared to most games. Even I had 100% by the time I was half way through my second playthru... and it usually takes me months, even years in some cases, to get everything.
Achievement selection is about completing the campaign. Wasteland 3 and the Outer Worlds hardly classify as difficult to complete.

Achievement selection is about completing the campaign. Wasteland 3 and the Outer Worlds hardly classify as difficult to complete.
I've never played them, so I wouldn't know. I was comparing to games I have played. ESO for example, I've had that since day 1, and I still don't have all the achievements.

I've never played them, so I wouldn't know. I was comparing to games I have played. ESO for example, I've had that since day 1, and I still don't have all the achievements.
Again, data is about completing the campaign, not having all the achievements. I don't have all and I don't have any intention to get them all.

I completely disagree, its not an issue with the players, but with the industry in that case.

Players shouldn't be encourage to just accept it, but rather the gaming industry should be made aware to not do it then.

I agree. It's like seeing a woman stumbling out of an alley beat up and wearing one shoe, and saying to her: "Well dear, you shouldn't have dressed so provacatively."

This is not an issue the players created. How many times are we going to blame the victim here? This is an industry that preys on expectations even more than used car salesmen.

I'm genuinely starting to believe even the marketing team had no clue how to market the game. Marketing Team: So guys what is this game, RPG, Action, Deus Ex light, GTA, Story, Adventure, linear, non linear, Open World, Sandbox how should we market it? Developers: We don't have a clue, sorry.

I don't think the developers deliberately lied about anything, they just didn't have a clue that features or mechanics or core elements like actual branching dialogue would be cut every 2 years when the lead comes in and scraps almost everything they have worked on these past years. Oh, Keanu is on board lets rewrite the whole mainstory and everything revolves around Johnny now.

It was a way too ambitious project for a team and especially managment with no clear plan or focus. Game development is hard and stuff gets cut and rewritten etc and with a less ambitious project this is difficult but manageable. This game was mismanaged from left to right but we made Witcher 3 we will manage! The famous "BioWare magic" the arrogance befell CDPR too now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom