Can we please stop the 'it was promised' nonsense?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see almost endless posts and even articles of people accusing CDPR of "promising" this or that, of things that never ended up in the game.

Look I get it. You are DISAPPOINTED or even feel a partial bait and switch. But saying it was "promised" is disingenuous at best. If you can find a source of a dev literally promising a feature or something along the lines of "..and this will be in the game no matter what" then you have a argument to be made. Otherwise you are putting words in their mouth and making assumptions and using said assumptions as 'fact'.

Yes there are some things in the 2 yr old trailer they didn't make the cut. Or comments made in articles almost as old that didn't materialize. And stating how that is disappointing to you is of course fine. But saying you were "promised" any of that is, frankly, silly. You WERE NOT.

I find it peculiar that games go though this cycle most EVERY major release yes they don't retain the lessons learned and act as if this is somehow new or completely unprecedented with the memory of a gold fish.

If you have been a gamer for any length of time you have been though this a dozen+ of times. Early trailer drops, comments are made a year+ before release, game drops, some of the things shown or said are changed, removed. It happens. THAT is game dev 101. Do you have to like it? No. But if you want to be part of this hobby you need to come to terms with it rather then go off the handle every time it happens acting like it is some great sin no one has ever done before or as if you never seen this before. It is NOT going to change that is the reality of it and the predictable replies of 'well if I make noise they will change'. Suuuure. Go talk to the fans of Daikatana or Star Fleet Command (game was released without its heralded, core feature MP aspect.. and wasn't announced until the day of release) back in the day and let me know how much their angst and angry postings changed the industry. I'll wait.

It seems to me some people are confusing their own disappointment with some fictional "promise" so they have a way to vent their anger. Again, I get it. The game is good but could have been better. I actually agree with most of the issues people raise. But when I saw those trailers and interviews I NEVER treated ANY of it as written in stone. I treated is the on the white board goals and the end result can change. If you took it as a "promise" I would suggest that was a error on your part. CDPR made the error of under-staffing the project vs the goals they laid out and ideas they said they wanted to be in the game. However people screaming about "promise" this and "promise" that made the fatal error of not taking vertical slices, or comments of games a year+ out as a wish list, not a "promise" and putting far more weight in them then they should have. That is on you, not them.

So no, nothing was promised to you, at all. But you are more then entitled however to be critical of what was delivered vs what was suggested the game will be.

I think you're speaking to a dead topic. Between the self-imposed radio silence following the last-gen consoles lawsuits and then the externally imposed cut-out via the hack, there isn't any progress at all to report. The reality is that whatever was going to be delivered post 1.2, which would materially speak to "pre-launch expectations" vs. "Day 1 Delivery" is now totally in the winds. I think we'll be very lucky to see anything happen past 1.2 in 2021. That roadmap is going to change, drastically, if they ever manage to get reorganized long enough to update it with some solid time frames, not just a cross-hatched segment covering the remaining months of the year.

I woud say that CDP went too far with marketing and it backfired so I understand a bit of frustration from people who waited so long. I`m extremely happy with this game but I`m not an average gamer (didnt played anything for couple years).

Still, I find if quite funny that people go so viral and angry over a product that cost them by average 50EUR, while they also had an option to refund. I pay way more per year for books, movies or hardware which doesnt meet my expectation and I dont storm anyones board with complains.

It is true the game was heavily marketed, promoted and sold on features that are not in the game. It's not just features. The scope of the game itself is so much less than what we were led to believe. And we were led to believe that why and by who? Because CDPR very deliberately wanted people to believe those things to drive sales. That you need to quibble about the use of the word "promise" doesn't change that. CDPR definitely sold a product by misleading it's customers. That is a fact. Why try to say it's not?

I woud say that CDP went too far with marketing and it backfired so I understand a bit of frustration from people who waited so long. I`m extremely happy with this game but I`m not an average gamer (didnt played anything for couple years).

Still, I find if quite funny that people go so viral and angry over a product that cost them by average 50EUR, while they also had an option to refund. I pay way more per year for books, movies or hardware which doesnt meet my expectation and I dont storm anyones board with complains.

I have said before on many occasions, they let the marketing snowball to the point it became a Frankenstein monster and lost all hope of reeling in expectations (what they should have done). In fact they, by intent it seems, let the community actively make assumptions and let those morph into 'fact' or the aforementioned 'promises'. As someone who has dealth with several notable dev houses and their community\PR mgt team over the years it baffles me how they just let it get so out of control and let such misinformation take root without doing anything to stop it. Hopefully a valuable lesson on their part was learned from doing that.

But I agree, it wasn't by accident, its was the plan by the PR team to let expectations run wild as that will help sales. And it did work in fairness but at a cost. We, and them, just have to wait and see if that cost was worth it long term. TBD

Let people talk about the promises, if they are talking CP is trend, the problem will be when people stop talking and this become just a sad event that will be remembered when something bad happens.

its was the plan by the PR team to let expectations run wild

It's far more disingenuous for you to make the assertion that the community pulled these expectations out of thin air. They were deliberately led to believe a lot of these things with dishonest marketing which is about as close to "promised" as you can get without someone from the company explicitly stating that "x" feature will definitely be in the final game. You are pretty much trying to argue semantics at that point.

Marketing for Cyberpunk was too long, wild, aggresive and succesfull.
I was almost sure there will be huge drama after release. CDPR they make their game their own way and you can't expect big leap between W3 and CP2077 in terms of design choices.
If they baited many GTA fans to play this game, they should know better how it will end (after playing game 400 hours i feel for GTA boys :D:D:D, because it's nothing like GTA, maybe cars).

Guess it doesn't matter now. Whatever the case, the game is mediocre and didn't live up to the massive hype, and now has less players than the Witcher 3 on Steam, and not much more than Skyrim Special Edition.
It's SP game.

Guest 3847602

It's far more disingenuous for you to make the assertion that the community pulled these expectations out of thin air.
Some expectations are pulled out of thin air, though:
CDPR never promised third person perspective.
CDPR never promised possibility of V using flying cars. They explicitly denied it on several occasions.
CDPR never promised possibility of V joining factions. They explicitly denied it on several occasions.
CDPR never promised mini-games.
CDPR never promised Cyberpunk to be a sandbox game.
It's not difficult to find people who are disappointed about any of these things. Mostly because they wanted features they really liked in GTA or Skyrim.

I have said before on many occasions, they let the marketing snowball to the point it became a Frankenstein monster and lost all hope of reeling in expectations (what they should have done). In fact they, by intent it seems, let the community actively make assumptions and let those morph into 'fact' or the aforementioned 'promises'. As someone who has dealth with several notable dev houses and their community\PR mgt team over the years it baffles me how they just let it get so out of control and let such misinformation take root without doing anything to stop it. Hopefully a valuable lesson on their part was learned from doing that.

But I agree, it wasn't by accident, its was the plan by the PR team to let expectations run wild as that will help sales. And it did work in fairness but at a cost. We, and them, just have to wait and see if that cost was worth it long term. TBD
Youre contradicting your own post here. Marketing went full yolo and youre suprised why people were dissapointed? Even there are plenty interviews from developers which hyped game themselfs, what is disigenous is blame fans due to games poor state

Some expectations are pulled out of thin air, though:
CDPR never promised third person perspective.
CDPR never promised possibility of V using flying cars. They explicitly denied it on several occasions.
CDPR never promised possibility of V joining factions. They explicitly denied it on several occasions.
CDPR never promised mini-games.
CDPR never promised Cyberpunk to be a sandbox game.
It's not difficult to find people who are disappointed about any of these things. Mostly because they wanted features they really liked in GTA or Skyrim.
I think features mentioned here were like taken for granted, game with big factions and without being able mostly interact with them... Who would have thought?

DC9V

Forum veteran
I was almost sure...
Sorry for being a dick but you can't be almost sure. You're either sure, or you're not. ...Just say'n. :p

I wish I could add something more meaningful to this topic but I'm really tired of it.
Good luck to those that are trying to have a civil conversation. Cya!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom