Can we thank Adam Smasher?

+
Because he is willing to sacrifice people left and right, to get to his end goals. People are just resources to him. Human resources. Which is to say, Johnny may spew anti-corpo rhetoric, but in practice he's like a one man mega-corp.
It's like the big man himself - Max Mike - said in the old trailer. Cyberpunk is not about saving the world, it's about saving yourself. It's about survival in a society that has reached a dead end.
Cyberpunk is not a heroic tale of triumph against an evil empire, like in Star Wars or some other saccarine Disney property. It's an accurate portrayal of neo-feudal society and the power of the average peasant/punk or group of peasants/punks to change that; None whatsoever.
What's compelling about cyberpunk, is that however bad things get, life goes on. It's ultimately about human tenacity and will to survive. And the ability for people to carve out a little piece of joy, out of a shitty situation.
The thing about human tenacity is that some will do anything to save themselves, but some will do anything to save the world. I just hope Cyberpunk2077 gives V that chance in some way.
There is a vast diffrence between trying and succeeding.
The thing about human tenacity is that even if failure is 100% guaranteed, they will try anyway. And then against all odds, sometimes they will succeed somehow anyway. This is the story of humanity, and it has repeated itself since the beginning of time.

Last edited:
There is a vast diffrence between trying and succeeding.

There's a reason the road to hell is paved with "Good" intentions. Many fools believe they're trying to "save the world" very arrogantly. Work on helping people in small ways. That's the only real way to help. Every single time a human gets arrogant enough to spout "trying to save the world" it always ends badly in real life. We humans are small creatures who think we are titans keeping hubris, like that we see in Johnny, in check is important. As his path would end up "destroying the world" with his short-sighted "good intentions"

There's a reason the road to hell is paved with "Good" intentions. Many fools believe they're trying to "save the world" very arrogantly. Work on helping people in small ways. That's the only real way to help. Every single time a human gets arrogant enough to spout "trying to save the world" it always ends badly in real life. We humans are small creatures who think we are titans keeping hubris, like that we see in Johnny, in check is important. As his path would end up "destroying the world" with his short-sighted "good intentions"
This is also true, but it's also important to acknowledge that fact that there are many different both good and bad human beings of all kinds from all places, throughout every part of history with their own ideas and definitions of what saving the world means to them.

You say that the road to hell is paved with good intentions, but what is the stairway to heaven paved with? Bad intentions?

Obviously the things that people do have consequences often in unexpected ways, because in a general sense, humanity is not God (not to bring religion into this out of nowhere, just saying in a general sense not tied to any specific religion) Also YES, there have been many times that individual human beings have attempted to save the world and had it result in very bad things (often times we must question the true hidden motives in many historical examples that I can not and will not name to avoid bringing up politics that are inevitably tied to those discussions) But this does not in any way mean that just because bad examples exist, that automatically good examples somehow can not also exist. For every hero, there is a villain, For every villain, there is a hero.

But this is also has some very big exceptions to the rule, as life is not so simple. Yes it is good to help people in small ways, but helping people in small ways is exactly that, small ways to help people. Sometimes small things can create a large effect, like atoms in the nuke in arasaka tower, but sometimes large things must be done to create a large change, like saving Night City from Arasaka, like when Johnny Silverhand nuked Arasaka Tower, and got killed by Adam Smasher.

I find it very suspicious and convenient how so very often throughout history, the hero, and many of the good little normal ordinary people in every day society are often told that the road to hell is paved with good intentions, that they should only do small things, and stay in their little bubble. What I find most suspicious and convenient about these things is that you never hear anyone saying this to any of the super villains throughout history or ancient mythology or religion (which I wont get into), or even modern day issues (which I will also NOT get into...) The strangest thing to me is that advice like this is always focused towards the good little normal ordinary people from every day life, almost as if Arasaka wants to teach them "stay where you are, do not try to change anything" because they want to be the big fish, and keep Night City under their control so to speak, for example.

Cyberpunk2077 seems (to me at least) to be the story of a person who did not fall for that advice. V.

You kinda get what I'm saying? This goes so much deeper, and it's so much more complicated than it appears on the surface.
( I'm not being mean to you, I understand that it is difficult to convey tone over plain text on the internet. I am only using metaphors and examples to aid in my expression of ideas and concepts to facilitate communication and understanding )
All in all, please take this all in a nice way, because I mean it in a nice way. :D

If someone killed hitler to try and stop ww2 does it make the actions "morally worse" if the person who tried to kill hitler was a total, complete irredeemable dick?

Hey jonny might be a total asshole. But its entirely possible his cause and reasons were just.

i wouldnt thank the person who stopped someone doing something I aggree with just because that guy was a dick.

Is it? It's hardly different from reality. An idiot can destabilize a highly sophisticated and functioning society with a little charisma to get the ignorant and unthinking to join their cause. Of course I have no reason to see said idiot as a hero while still enjoying a game he's a part of. Keeping corruption in check that's heroic. Punishing villains that's heroic. Trying to topple society killing many million and inevitably leading to slavery and destitution of millions more. That's not heroic. However like I said I can enjoy the game even with a false hero. Morgan Blackhand is the only real hero I know of in this game.
The New United States fills the void, don’t know if it would be better than the Mega Corps but it certainly would not be worse.

The New United States fills the void, don’t know if it would be better than the Mega Corps but it certainly would not be worse.

That too is short sighted. Though I like where your heads at. When the businesses all collapse you still have to deal with the very basic necessity "The means of production" The megacorps as an organization provide a stable economy which also means a stable means of production. When you destroy that it would need to be built back up and it would be built back up at the point of a gun. When the economy becomes destablized the currency is worth nothing as well. So blood would be shed in mass for the resources that currently exist. Now if the New United States were to expand and offer opportunity to new entrepreneurs, which is what you would need, it could begin building that infrastructure. However those new entrepreneurs would either be puppets or quickly become puppets of the megacorps. So we're back to square one.

Top Bottom