Can we tone down or turn off the coloured trails for the sword swings?

+
Can we tone down or turn off the coloured trails for the sword swings?

I know they serve as visual feedback for light and strong attacks but can we at least have the option to tone them down or completely turn them off please? Sorry for posting this in a separate thread, I don't know what's the right category to post this.

Ultimate answer to problems like these: mods. Hopefully REDKit gets pushed out ASAP so that the modding community is engaged quickly and develops nicely. Even if it reached half the size of Skyrim modding, hell even 25%, it would be a massive success. 25% going off by nexus numbers would be 10k mods.

The trails seem to have been reduced from previous footage, but it is also my opinion that it would be nice not to have them at all. A few other effects annoy me too, such as the new affect for Axii.

Yep, I'll also remove them if I get the option. Kinda like how I'd remove the halo around an Axii'ed person's head. There are some effects I can understand, such as that subtle red glow that represents your counter window (which you can turn off, but I'm not sure I'll be brave enough to - depends how shitty I am without it), and to a lesser degree I can understand that Axii halo since it's a visual prompt that helps you choose your targets (though I think it was clear enough in the 35 min demo where the bandit staggered). The sword lines, though, I'm not really sure what they serve. Maybe just an aesthetic choice of CDPR? I guess so.

Yep, I'll also remove them if I get the option. Kinda like how I'd remove the halo around an Axii'ed person's head. There are some effects I can understand, such as that subtle red glow that represents your counter window (which you can turn off, but I'm not sure I'll be brave enough to - depends how shitty I am without it), and to a lesser degree I can understand that Axii halo since it's a visual prompt that helps you choose your targets (though I think it was clear enough in the 35 min demo where the bandit staggered). The sword lines, though, I'm not really sure what they serve. Maybe just an aesthetic choice of CDPR? I guess so.

If nights were darker those sword trails would look cool if they were an afterglow of the light of runes on a blade, but since we're yet to see a cloudy night without a moon, an since Geralt naturally sees better in low-light enviroment, it would probably be better to remove that effect entirely. *adds to mod list*

Hey guys, I asked Miles on Twitter specifically about this, if you can turn them off, and he said, and I quote:

"I don't think you can. Serves as visual feedback for whether you used a fast or strong attack."

So no, but I am sure some people will create mods.

Yep, CDPR really ought to listen to you, you know what you're talking about. ;) The new Axii effect looks so cheese.. that I don't even want to use it in the game. The sword trails, I brought that up years ago. I never liked those either, I'm fucked and stuck with consoles, until a PC falls into my lap lol..

Last edited:
I feel the same way about the new aard effect.

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/5-06-2015/PSX2fx.gif

Wish they got rid of the blue forcefield effect and kept it as a simple explosion of air and dust/particles like the 35 minute gameplay.

Someone should make a "immersive FX" mod in which axii and yierden and aard effects are "toned" and so are the weapon streaks.

I don't really know why they think we need visual feedback on whether we made a light or heavy swing. I mean, I did just fine in AC1 without arcadey effects. I could tell by..what button I pushed and how the enemies reacted, lol. You should be able to tell based on Geralt's movements and exertion if ll else fails.

Last edited:
I don't really know why they think we need visual feedback on whether we made a light or heavy swing. I mean, I did just fine in AC1 without arcadey effects. I could tell by..what button I pushed and how the enemies reacted, lol. You should be able to tell based on Geralt's movements and exertion if ll else fails.
Yeah, dude. AC1 for life. That combat had a very realistic vibe.

I also don't see the need for feedback on what type of attack I used. I don't need to react to it. I know what I've done. If it were applied to enemy attacks, like a red glow to unblockable attacks, it'd be justified. But for my own attacks, in a single player game, it doesn't make much sense. And I'd like to point out I'm really not against this kind of effects. I think the ones in Soul Calibur are very useful for gameplay and also look pretty good.

And I haven't noticed the red glow for the counter window thingy. Can someone tell where it is? Is it everywhere (and I still missed it)? I usually play without this kind of stuff. Batman and SoM are so much better without counter prompts.

I don't like them either. That said, I honestly haven't made conscious note of them until seeing this thread pop up and looking at the newest trailer. So, for me, its one of those things that I'll probably overlook while playing.

Hey guys, I asked Miles on Twitter specifically about this, if you can turn them off, and he said, and I quote:

"I don't think you can. Serves as visual feedback for whether you used a fast or strong attack."

So no, but I am sure some people will create mods.

Dear Miles,

We're not mentally handicapped. We can tell if we used a fast or strong attack because we're the ones who pressed the button. There is no legitimate player need for visual feedback after the fact. It's purely stylistic.

Sincerely,

PC & console gamers alike.

Top Bottom