Can you change your appearance after the initial character customization?

+
Hi all people trying to make it in Night City,

I have played for about 5 hours and now I'm starting to dislike the appearance of my character. Do you guys have any idea if I can change my hair, makeup or piercings?

If the case is that you can not change the original character customization, it would be greatly appreciated if CD Project Red could add this in the next update.

A great option would also be to see your character in game before you start the story or at least have the same appearance as in the game. My character dose not look the same in game as in the appearance customization window.

Best regards
Mellmac

Last edited:

I have played for about 5 hours and now I'm starting to dislike the appearance of my character. Do you guys have any idea if I can change my hair, makeup or piercings?

If the case is that you can not change the original character customization, it would be greatly appreciated if CD Project Red could add this in the next update.

A great option would also be to see your character in game before you start the story or at least have the same appearance as in the game. My character dose not look the same in game as in the appearance customization window.

Best regards
Mellmac
I faced the same problem. After seeing myself in a mirror (at the start of the street kid path) I realised that my skin colour was significantly whiter than it was in the character creator. While I don't have anything against it, I'm not white so I don't want my V to be either.

I did a quick Google search and I couldn't see anyone mentioning it so I just started the game again.

There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to change it tho. You can practically swap out body parts so why not change how you look. Do it in a wardrobe/ closet at Vs or a Doctors.

You can open the json file in a save folder of your choosing(as in, whichever auto save or manual save you want to edit) and you can switch genders that way if you want, along with perk points or is it skills? w.e along with your level, etc and other stuff but of course the resulting character will be the opposite female version of your male one or vice versa, to edit individual characteristics of the body, I see no way to do so, there is another and much bigger save file that is a DAT type file but I have no idea how to open it, it's not text based so using Notepad only gives you a bunch of NULLs.

You can open the json file in a save folder of your choosing(as in, whichever auto save or manual save you want to edit) and you can switch genders that way if you want, along with perk points or is it skills? w.e along with your level, etc and other stuff but of course the resulting character will be the opposite female version of your male one or vice versa, to edit individual characteristics of the body, I see no way to do so, there is another and much bigger save file that is a DAT type file but I have no idea how to open it, it's not text based so using Notepad only gives you a bunch of NULLs.
I tried this to swap the gender of my V and nothing has changed? Does GOG default to your cloud saves or something?

Best regards
Mellmac
Unfortunately, this is ANOTHER mechanic they just left out.

Not good CDPR.

The entire character creation visualizer (in both the beginning menu and the inventory screen) needs massive reworks. It's so blurry, hard to adjust your camera, and has a fixed lighting scene that probably won't represent most scenarios! At least, it should be rendered with a white sun light/neutral ambient lighting in the character creator so the player gets a good idea of what they're actually making their character look like.

Oh man, this is really bad! I don't want to start from scratch just to change my hairstyle or looks! In a world when my spine can be changed, how is it I can't get a new face or even hairstyle?!
Post automatically merged:

We could even have a character editor standalone before incorporating it in-game, it's such an easy thing and lacking it really matters!

Oh man, this is really bad! I don't want to start from scratch just to change my hairstyle or looks! In a world when my spine can be changed, how is it I can't get a new face or even hairstyle?!
Post automatically merged:

We could even have a character editor standalone before incorporating it in-game, it's such an easy thing and lacking it really matters!
I wouldn't restart my game. Just wait until CDPR add a way... I'm not saying it's cool we have to wait, but I'm sure it won't be that long

One of the reviewers (I forgot which publication) said that in the 50 hours they played, they didn't come across any kind of plastic surgeon, or other shop where you could alter your appearance. Although I do think one of the developers mentioned that you would be able to change your hair style somehow.

But, good news for PC players ... as @Kyros007 noticed, there is a save.dat file that is made with each save. The file is in binary format, but if you open it in a hex editor (such as the free Hexinator) and scroll to the bottom, you can see text references to each of the body customization options. I haven't taken the time to nail down the exact encoding, but I'm almost certain that the raw value for the slection is stored (e.g. when customizing your character, each item is either a color or a range of options from 1 to n). Adjusting these values in the save file should change your character's appearance.

I haven't tested this yet, and there may be some integrity checks that need to be noticed and addressed, but I don't think it will be long before a save editor is available.

Other things I saw when looking at the save file:
  • item data
  • weapons
  • stats (and what looks like a possible array with perk levels)

I think the text metadata file is just a read-only summary of the save data. I don't think it is ever read or used by the game when loading a save file, so I don't think making any changes to it will affect anything.

One of the reviewers (I forgot which publication) said that in the 50 hours they played, they didn't come across any kind of plastic surgeon, or other shop where you could alter your appearance. Although I do think one of the developers mentioned that you would be able to change your hair style somehow.

But, good news for PC players ... as @Kyros007 noticed, there is a save.dat file that is made with each save. The file is in binary format, but if you open it in a hex editor (such as the free Hexinator) and scroll to the bottom, you can see text references to each of the body customization options. I haven't taken the time to nail down the exact encoding, but I'm almost certain that the raw value for the slection is stored (e.g. when customizing your character, each item is either a color or a range of options from 1 to n). Adjusting these values in the save file should change your character's appearance.

I haven't tested this yet, and there may be some integrity checks that need to be noticed and addressed, but I don't think it will be long before a save editor is available.

Other things I saw when looking at the save file:
  • item data
  • weapons
  • stats (and what looks like a possible array with perk levels)

I think the text metadata file is just a read-only summary of the save data. I don't think it is ever read or used by the game when loading a save file, so I don't think making any changes to it will affect anything.
So I guess PC users can use MODs and console gamers are screwed...!

Its always been like that with only this gen (xbox one, p4) finally receiving limited mod support in bethesda titles, very limited on PlayStation part, if you want mods PC will always be the place for it.

That being said i can easily see a "barber" or some sort of "surgeon" being added in an hell of a surprised if it wasn't, i'd be more bothered by the lack of these features if it was TP an i was seeing my char alot in cutscenes but its not and i dont, the most i see of my char is when im in inventory an even though they look pretty bad lol it aint bothering me that much because its all FP

Personally im loving the game however I wish there were more long hairstyles for the male character, also i would have liked beanies i.e the headwear to be an option for your character to wear i feel like if its out there in the streets and you see pedestrians wearing them then i believe your character should be able to aswell, the clothing is great so far, It just bugs me when you see a pedestrian wearing an item that you can't get I.e beanies, those flurecent hooded jackets that look like they came from altered carbon cant get them either this isnt an attack as I said I love the game just they are my two gripes other then that amazing work and im loving it

Last edited:
That's funny because I feel like I want to restart the game since the scars I chose in the character creator weren't what I was expecting. when I got in game and looked at my hands it was not what I wanted at all. I guess the lighting in the character creator should be tweaked to a level closer to actual gameplay.

I had to restart 3 times due to this haha. There are things in this game i would have thought for SURE they would have implemented and barber shop is one of them. Also dual keybindings etc but no :(

Top Bottom