Can you change your appearance after the initial character customization?

+
Considering Geralt's beard actually grows in Witcher 3, yes, this should be in Cyberpunk 2077.
Barbers in Witcher 3 was a DLC though, and they released 16 of those, one or two at a time post game launch.

Glad I have a backlog out of this world so the devs can improve upon the game.

One of the reviewers (I forgot which publication) said that in the 50 hours they played, they didn't come across any kind of plastic surgeon, or other shop where you could alter your appearance. Although I do think one of the developers mentioned that you would be able to change your hair style somehow.

But, good news for PC players ... as @Kyros007 noticed, there is a save.dat file that is made with each save. The file is in binary format, but if you open it in a hex editor (such as the free Hexinator) and scroll to the bottom, you can see text references to each of the body customization options. I haven't taken the time to nail down the exact encoding, but I'm almost certain that the raw value for the slection is stored (e.g. when customizing your character, each item is either a color or a range of options from 1 to n). Adjusting these values in the save file should change your character's appearance.

I haven't tested this yet, and there may be some integrity checks that need to be noticed and addressed, but I don't think it will be long before a save editor is available.

Other things I saw when looking at the save file:
  • item data
  • weapons
  • stats (and what looks like a possible array with perk levels)

I think the text metadata file is just a read-only summary of the save data. I don't think it is ever read or used by the game when loading a save file, so I don't think making any changes to it will affect anything.

Hi Grimzecho,

Thank you!! I will check the files. If it works, maybe you have saved me the hassle to play the beginning of the story all over again.

Best regards
Mellmac

Yeah, I really hope they add a lot more customization and cyberware options as future patch or dlc. I mean, nobody expects total transference of table top options to game options because there are unlimited possibilities but there's just so much cool stuff completely left out. Here's the big fun list... (I mean, when I see retractable poison vampire teeth I just think of how fun it would be if they added the pounce bite animation from Vampire Bloodlines.. I think that's one of the coolest animations in video games.) They could "Sims" this game and just add goofy cyber stuff packs for years and years and I'd probably buy them because I'm stupid.

I remember when Dragon Age Inquisition didn't have any way of changing the appearance of your character until months after it's release.
Stuff like this happens, it's a shame though, people love customizing their characters, and sometimes you have to keep starting over until you are satisfied or wait until the developer adds a change appearance feature. It should be standard in any RPG.

Sadly you can't at least in that current state of the game, only thing you might could do would be to modify data and stuff over 3th party stuff but i dont think this should be the intended way.

Well this isn't good to hear.... Had same issue and ran through the customising menu a bit quick without realising that I'd missed alot of options, so ended up starting with minimal customising being done.... An update to go through this menu without restarting would be a winner....

Omg yes, there should definitely be a store or option to change appearance, hair style and such.
One of the first things I was looking for when exploring the map... :(

I went a bit overboard in hair colour, eyeshade & beard colour. I can live with most of what I chose but when I first saw myself in the mirror, I realized that a GREEN beard just looks horrible on me. An update that allows those sorts of cosmetic changes would be most welcome. I live in hope that my green beard does not chase the ladies away. lol.

This is seriously disappointing even skyrim can do it, you could even use the same character creation menu it'll be so easy too implement

It wasn't in at launch for Skyrim, just to point that out. But yeah, it's completely absurd it's not in the game. The character customization is super crap too. No white hair colour? SERIOUSLY?

Adding my name to the list of people wanting a barber/plastic surgeon ingame...at the bare minimum we need to be able to change our hair.

Also vehicle colours as well

I would love to see something added in the expansions or as free DLC so we can change our hair style/color, our eye design should be able to be changed at our home computer or a ripper doc
And it would be nice if we had the option to change look of our arms if we have replaced them, and the same with a few other cyberware though not ever thing would have to have an effect on our character.

Unfortunately, this is ANOTHER mechanic they just left out.

Not good CDPR.

They left out a lot of mechanics, and some feel very rushed and minimal effort (like the bounty system).

Yes, Night city is amazing and the main story is cool, but often times this doesn't feel like a game that was developed by a 500 person studio for 6 years with a 200+ million euro budget. I keep wondering where did those man-hours go.

This is the biggest disappointment for me so far. Character individuation is abysmal at this point (and shouldn't be in a AAA rpg) I loved Witcher and played every DLC, but I think this game is an entirely different animal and should have been released with a robust set of in-game character customization opportunities (barbers, plastic surgeons, tattoo artists, piercing studios, and so on and so forth). It just makes sense in the context of this world.

To me, this is the problem with first-person only games; developers shove these features to the back burner because "the player doesn't see themselves mostly anyway." In a third-person game these feature are absolutely necessary due to the 100% exposure of the toon.

My other issue is the limitations placed on gear due to the choice to attach stats to gear. My character looks pretty ridiculous most of the time as a result. Why couldn't they have just had the gear mods that we could switch in and out on the clothing items that we like? This would have been an easy way to ensure that players have choice. Other games have been doing this for a few years now. Seems like a no-brainer.

My fear is that these "choices" eventually show up, but behind a pay wall.

All this being said, I've had some very fun experiences in the game so far and see a lot of potential.

It wasn't in at launch for Skyrim, just to point that out. But yeah, it's completely absurd it's not in the game. The character customization is super crap too. No white hair colour? SERIOUSLY?
I am 2 months short of my 74th birthday and what hair I have left is definitely white.
If I could, I would have chosen white.

World where you can change your eyes and almost every part of your body including chunks of your brain.... Cant cut your hair or change the color of your eyes.

Genius.

Top Bottom