Can you swim?

+
Will there be any water? Because if there will be no water, there is no need to add swimming.

Define "water".

Good god NO! I wouldn't touch the open water in Night City. I mean, you'd have to burn your clothes afterwards and take a chemical shower just to get rid of the toxins and that's if you don't get any in your mouth. Yuck!

Burn your skin too... unless the "water" already took care of that. :p

In the late 90s i went to Santa Monica beach.
The sand reminded me of crushed concrete and i went in the water only up to my waist. Just felt dirty. Maybe Australia's beaches have spoiled me but i didn't think it would be that bad.

I've heard stories of New Jersey's beaches. Is Night City on par or worse?

More like sail: Special breast plate and water jets in my boots. With a special mask I could sail around like a submarine too.

Will there be any water? Because if there will be no water, there is no need to add swimming.

There is a fair amount of water according to the gameplay demo and the metro map seen in the E3 trailer, I think the area around Orbital Air Space Center could be like (artificial?) islands on the sea. The question is whether there is any point jumping into the canals or sea, if there is anything useful there. Maybe there are some fixer's caches hidden underwater. :)

In any case, swimming was already possible in The Witcher 3, I doubt it would be removed completely when the protagonist's movement abilities are otherwise being expanded.

lols it would be asinine if you had cyber-arm and had too keep it covered cause it was raining outside. straight up that was never a feature in the game. EMP grenades would mess you up tho . you go from being bad ass too all sorts of disabled .. how else do you think the Inquisitors managed too almost whip out a whole booster gang full of cyber psychos in one night. but that aside. I think swimming should be in the game. Night city is water front property and If I want too go on a boat and transport cargo that way .. well shit there might come a point in time you will need too swim unless your a total borged out cyber psycho well then your just SOL. unless you can breath underwater.

Sure, why not? It was in the Witcher 3, and unless they decide to unrealistically make invisible walls preventing you from entering the water, there is water in the game that the player can enter. Canals, ponds, and maybe even a lake or two. It may be a city, but water still exists - even in the dark future.

Only CDPR can say for sure, but I'm going to go with "yes" because it just makes sense.

Sure, why not? It was in the Witcher 3, and unless they decide to unrealistically make invisible walls preventing you from entering the water, there is water in the game that the player can enter. Canals, ponds, and maybe even a lake or two. It may be a city, but water still exists - even in the dark future.

Only CDPR can say for sure, but I'm going to go with "yes" because it just makes sense.

I'm all for the swimming part, now the question is, will we get some swim wear too? I mean...when you aren't being chased...or what ever. :unsure:

Last edited:
You be able to swim for multiple reasons:
▪For one they did it in the Witcher 3 plus they really need to improve that system.
▪They could really make the underwater world beautiful thanks to next generation hardware.
▪it could be use for stealth.
▪To explore new areas.
▪To get away from enemies.

You be able to swim for multiple reasons:
▪For one they did it in the Witcher 3 plus they really need to improve that system.
▪They could really make the underwater world beautiful thanks to next generation hardware.
▪it could be use for stealth.
▪To explore new areas.
▪To get away from enemies.

I must admit exploring via boat in Witcher 3 was something I really enjoyed, even if I wished there was some way to repair the damn things :LOL:

I must admit exploring via boat in Witcher 3 was something I really enjoyed, even if I wished there was some way to repair the damn things :LOL:

Yep, and I found out the 'damn things' will sink, imagine that. But, I do enjoy swimming too. Besides, skinny dipping is always good. :D

Last edited:
So, from 2020 at least, Firestorm:Stormfront rules on swimming and cyberware:

Not a problem for a short shallow swim, but cyberware isn't waterproofed to any real extent and leakage will occur. You can pay for waterproofing, of course.

V will have some cyber, so I'd say that although a short swim -might- be in the game, nothing extensive is very likely.

But who knows? CDPR could easily disregard the water effect on cyberwear.

I think it should be a thing but also highly toxic and acidic requiring preventative measures (skin suit) or post-exposure treatment (damage and defense penalties).

there is water in the game that the player can enter. Canals, ponds, and maybe even a lake or two. It may be a city, but water still exists - even in the dark future.

On the picture below, there is a river or large canal running around an island on which the skyscrapers on the left are (probably the city center district). And if the metro map is to be believed, it opens up into a wider watery area in the distance to the center and right, a bridge can be seen over that behind the car. The sea should be farther away in the same direction, although it is not visible because of all the buildings. It is speculation, but I think these might be on islands or shallow water in a bay or flooded coastal area, and there are bridges and train lines crossing over the water. So, it looks like there are interesting places to explore, I wonder if swimming could allow for alternate ways of entering areas or buildings.
shot0026.jpg
Another question is what happens if the player manages to fall into water with the car, assuming that is possible at all.

Not sure how beautiful it would be with all the pollution, maybe if it is possible to leave the boundaries of the city and explore the sea, but that seems doubtful. The canals in the gameplay demo looked uglier than most water (other than in swampy areas) in TW3.

So, from 2020 at least, Firestorm:Stormfront rules on swimming and cyberware:

Not a problem for a short shallow swim, but cyberware isn't waterproofed to any real extent and leakage will occur. You can pay for waterproofing, of course.

If cyberware isn't water proof and you can't afford to get it water proofed, that means taking a shower is out of the question which leads to a lot of smelly dirty people. Just sayin....:eek: Then again, risking a shower could be an electrifying experience. :mad: Great fun!

If cyberware isn't water proof and you can't afford to get it water proofed, that means taking a shower is out of the question which leads to a lot of smelly dirty people. Just sayin....:eek: Then again, risking a shower could be an electrifying experience. :mad: Great fun!

Isn't waterproofed to any real extent. Kind of the key bit there. Book specifically says a short shallow swim is fine. Also thunderstorms.

Top Bottom