Cannibalism?

+
oh i didnt know that..................i dont know why but now i am hungry...............i will go and eat someone something......
Yep. If you look back even in relatively recent history, there have been a number of instances of cannibalism as a means of survival, where people had to eat others in their group who had died in order to survive until rescue. None of them were prosecuted, because it's not illegal. Granted, in some cases, they were often socially ostracized, because cannibalism isn't considered :Socially" acceptable behavior, but it's not technically illegal. Where the big "cannibal" trials come in, such as Jeffery Dalmer and John Wayne Casey, is not because they ate people. It was the fact that they were serial killers. They simply happened to eat their victims after murdering them. Their trials were murder trials, not cannibalism trials. Cannibalism was not even on the list of charges against them. It was simply the motive for their killing spree, not a crime in and of itself.

It's illegal in Canada - human remains rules. Specific handling of human remains required. Eating a person is very much against the law.

Probably the same in the U.S.

...just reiterating that I don't think cannibalism would add anything worthwhile to the game, by way of narrative or game mechanics.

Like, if there were some kind of side-quest where you could get a day-job in a call-center cube farm somewhere, and answer calls.

It COULD be in the game... but I don't think it'd add anything of value.

Tastee Ghoul! Flavour Your Friends Today!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_(role-playing_game)

There were a -lot- of Dark Future PnP games in the 90s. This was one of the more interesting.

Kaebus2196

I figured that there are some laws against it, since it is defiling of a corpse. Similar to necrophilia or the sorts. I mean if you see a dead person on the street, you can't just go take the body to do with what you want.

In Sweden there is not neccesarily a law against cannibalism... but usually things like this tend to fall under crimes like aggravated assault, manslaughter, murder, or something in Swedish called "Brott mot Griftefriden" ("Crimes against the Grifte-peace/the peace").

I am not sure how to translate the last word there... because I do not know what "Grifte" means, and I can not find any partcicular translations on the word. It might be a really old Swedish word, it might be another languages... old or not... word. To an extent it makes me think of the Swedish word "Gräva", which means "Dig" or "To dig"... but I might be compleatly wrong on that.

Anyway... this "Brott mot Griftefriden" law basicly says something like this:

"Whoever unlawfully moves, harms or "skymfligen"(*1) treats corpses or the deceased's ashes, open grave or otherwise do harm or mischief on the coffin, urn, grave, tomb or other place of rest of the deceased, is convicted of crimes against griftefrid to a fine or imprisonment not exceeding two years."
(*1): due to not really finding a good translation of this word I found some several synonyms to "Skymfligen" to give a basic idea of what it means: insultingly, offensively, disgracefully, sacrilegiously, heinously, dishonorably, etc. A "skymf" in Sweden means that something is an affront, insult, offence, and other such words.

So basicly it is a law that states that everything that has got to do with the deceased, be it's actual body, or it's remains, or the things surrounding it as in graves, coffins, urns, buildings, gravestones, etc, needs to be treated with repect and not be desecrated etc. There are probably exeptions of course, like autopsys, or if the person is an organ doner, and/or if they donated their body for science and such things. But I would asume there are very strict rules surrounding such things, so as to not break the "Griftefriden" law. This law does also cover things like ancient burial sites etc, so I would asume there are also certain kinds of exeptions for things like legal archeology etc.

I think that much depends on the tone of the game.

If it becomes some kind of caricature or some kind of commentary on decadence. OK.

But remember that Fallout did it twice (or maybe thrice).
And that Skyrim did it at least once.

The shock factor is gone and so only solid writing and acting will do.

They could push social liberalism to an extreme.

"Why wouldn't you be able to eat human beings if it's consensual? The state has no business telling me what's good for me or my body!"

Perhaps they could even make a musical about it.

Top Bottom