Cannot install The Witcher 3

+

Okay, so I bought the Witcher 3 yesterday. When I start the installation in installs until content0/textures.cache (or something like this, my memories not the best) and then an error report pops up "installation failed: code 10 file read error" So I've browsed all of the other forums for the fix. On one such forum a user recommended to check the HDD for errors and reboot, So I did. The test came back fine. Tried the install, same thing.

Another forum recommended to copy all the files from the discs on to the computer then running the install from there. The computer copies everything but won't copy Setup_the_witcher3_wild_hunt-2.bin. It sticks at 0kb/s and tells me 1 item: 0kb left at 99%. So I tried to download the second 3.9 GB file off of GOG 'setup_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_2.0.0.40-2.bin' thinking it might have been that file, took me two hours.

Start the installation off of the files left on my computer from the first disc (excluding Setup_the_witcher3_wild_hunt-2.bin) and it runs fine until it gets back to content/0/textures.cache then It asks me for the 'Setup_the_witcher3_wild_hunt-2.bin' file I click on the other file and nothing... it says it needs the file to continue. Then I thought to myself "You should have renamed the file, you Idiot" so I rename the File off of GOG to the file that would have been on the disc and run it from the setup I copied on my computer, I then get an 'installation failed with code 3: Checksum error'

Seems to me as if they rushed these discs in manufacturing and they have errors on them or corrupted files or something.

I've tried disabling Windows defender, doesn't help. I have extremely slow internet connection and Refuse to download off of GOG; I also wouldn't have bought the game if I would have known this, This is ridiculous. I shouldn't have to jump through so many hoops to get a disc version of a game to work. If nobody here can solve it I'm going to have to persist endlessly in demanding a refund because at this point I've pretty much just threw $50 out of the window.

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble, but it appears that the disk is faulty so yes, you probably should return it to the store where you got it and ask them to replace it. The files at Gog are for a later version of the game (Patched to 1.10), which is why you can't "mix and match".

Depends on your local legislation regarding software purchases. This will vary by region, but consumer legislation often protects the buyer in the case of defective product - if it cannot be installed from the installation media I would certainly try to obtain a swap or refund if your consumer law even comes close to making that a right.

Installation Failed: Code 10 file read error.

I took the CD back to the store I bought it from. The New disc still gets same file error. I'm sick of this.

---------- Updated at 05:33 PM ----------

Thanks for re-opening. I shouldn't have closed it. I couldn't figure out how to re-open it. I want anyone who's encountering similar problems as me to know how I fixed it if I do.

---------- Updated at 06:10 PM ----------

For some reason Setup_the_witcher3_wild_hunt-1 shows 0 kb and won't copy (the other disc I had did this with Setup_the_witcher3_wild_hunt-2 if I remember correctly.

---------- Updated at 07:44 PM ----------

I traded it for fallout 4. The Walmart people were displeased but granted me my second return. Sorry, But I've tried everything.

Attachments

• error.png
    error.png
    53.5 KB · Views: 222
  • error2.png
    error2.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Top Bottom