Cannot rebind many keyboard controls, particualrly bad if you're left handed

+
Cannot rebind many keyboard controls, particualrly bad if you're left handed

I figured I'd be able to set up Witcher 3 with largely the same control scheme as Witcher 2, I was wrong. Problem is I'm left handed, so I use the NUMPAD and arrow keys, most of which are locked in this game. What's worse is the movement keys are also locked so THEY CANNOT BE CHANGED AT ALL! WTF!?!The arrow keys are my typical "sprint, dodge and block" controls. The Enter button is my jump button. I was trying to find free buttons for these functions, which was forcing me to stretch over to the Delete and Insert keys, when I discovered I cannot even change my forward, backward and side to side controls. I want to destroy everything in arm's reach right now.I really did not expect this kind of neglect from CDProjekt RED. Since I cannot play the damn game until this gets patched, I hope it is made a priority.

totaly feel your pain man im stuck with a stupid control system and no way to change it.. its very console porty this scheme. buuulll shiiittttt

Clearly you need to correct your evil ways and have that left-handedness beaten out of you!

In all seriousness, however, this is a major issue. I can't stand it when games don't allow me to rebind all my keys. I use EDSF rather than WSAD because WSAD is dumb and should never be used (why would you use a control scheme right next to where your hand naturally rests on a keyboard, rather than on it?). To my dismay I couldn't rebind movement keys.

In the meantime, there's always "Autohotkey" to fix the developer's laziness. I say laziness because control schemes are, in the grand scheme of a game this large, a minuscule fix. Autohotkey can be set up to change any key to any other key and can be active only when The Witcher 3 is actually running. I'm just shocked that this game is *more* restrictive than the previous one (I suppose I should be happy they allow it in-game this time?).

Seriously bad form.

I feel your pain, you cant even rebind move forward.. etc many bind are locked ( map etc... ) I cant even play the game because i cant correctly rebind the keyboard keys.. F*** thoses games where devs only think it for that gamepad. Its VERY desapointing.

Yup... not being able to rebind to ESDF is pretty unfortunate but I guess as mentioned that is what Autohotkey is for until they fix this silly choice.

This is absolutely moronic on CDPRs account. What the actual fuck are they thinking?! My big hands simply don't work right crammed into WSAD. Seems you can edit the input.settings file but it makes no change whatsoever ingame. Waited so goddam long for this and now I cant play it for a lack of the most basic fucking PC options. I was ticked off enough when I saw all the locked buttons at the bottom of the list as it forced me to change most of the button bindings on my mouse, once I realized movement was locked to WSAD i became absolutely furious.

Forgot about AutoHotkey, had to use that when Dead Space came to PC. Hopefully this will get fixed some, but until then I'll have to brush up on how to make a AHK config.Not only was the hype immediately ruined, I took a weeks vacation in conjunction with this release. Should have known better.

---------- Updated at 07:42 PM ----------

So the hits just keep on coming. In Witcher 2 you could "Cast IGNI" or "Cast AARD", etc. to a button, and in so doing rarely ever have to pull up a menu. This made combat very fluid. in W3 you can no longer do this. You can only bind "Cast Sign" to a button, meaning you either HAVE TO pull up the menu each time you switch, or bind buttons to "equip" each sign (ie: Select INGI, select AARD), it doesn't cast them. We are going backwards here.In addition, there are separate buttons for stopping Geralt, stopping your horse and stopping your boat. Instead of just letting off the forward button. Same with diving and surfacing in the water. Instead of just using the same buttons as crouch and jump, like every other game, there are additional buttons.With all the extra time the Devs took, and going Gold early, I didn't expect to see this consolized BULLSH*T!!

Me, I'm pissed that the game comes with the same key bound to multiple functions (such as "E" to dismount from horse AND to interact with stuff) BUT you cannot bind a single key to multiple functions yourself! It will automatically unbind anything else with that key. The key bindings guy at CDPR should just get fired.

I'm also very disappointed about this. I have a one-handed gaming keyboard and some of the locked keys aren't on it... which sucks. I want to bind all of the various info screens (character, skills, journals, etc) to the various Function keys (F1, F2, etc) and free up those other keys for actions. Really sucks that I can't do that, as I've developed my own standard keybinding scheme over the years and I try to match it as best as possible from game to game.

Exact Same Issue - CANT REBIND MOVEMENT KEYS

This is absolutely moronic on CDPRs account. What the actual fuck are they thinking?! My big hands simply don't work right crammed into WSAD. Seems you can edit the input.settings file but it makes no change whatsoever ingame. Waited so goddam long for this and now I cant play it for a lack of the most basic fucking PC options. I was ticked off enough when I saw all the locked buttons at the bottom of the list as it forced me to change most of the button bindings on my mouse, once I realized movement was locked to WSAD i became absolutely furious.
WHAT THE HELL!?!? THIS IS PC, NOT CONSOLE. I don't want to play with my hand crammed into some ridiculous form just to play. Screw it, either they fix this or this is the last game from them I buy. If I have to edit the config file, fine, I'm ok with that. But even doing that doesn't work. Feels like a 3rd rate port.

I'm sure CDPR will address this in an upcoming patch, but for now our only work around is using AutoHotKey. I put my existing script below, hopefully it will prove useful for some of you. I bound what I could ingame. What I could not I added to the script. So far, so good. Occasionally a command "sticks" and I have to save and reload, but for the most part it lets me play the game with similar controls to what I have setup in Witcher 2.
Numpad2::s ;(backwards)Numpad4::a ;(strafe left)Numpad5::w ;(forward)Numpad6::d ;(strafe right)NumpadEnter::space ;(jump/surface)Left::LShift ;(sprint)Down::Alt ;(dodge/dive)Right::z ;(roll)Up::LControl ;(toggle walk/run)RContol::c ;(Counter)End::m ;(map)PgDn::i ;(inventory)PgUp::j ;(journal)Home::n ;(Meditate)Delete::b ;(Beastiary)Insert::k ;(Character)
The website has numerous tutorials, but here are a few quick tips for those who haven't used it. Open Notepad, paste the text above into it and edit what you want. Each line is a command; the first part of the command is the button you want to use, then double colons, then the button the game is using for that particular function. For example, I wanted NUMPAD 5 to be "forward", the game used "W" for forward so I used the command "Numpad5::w". An important thing to note is that when you save, you have to change the extenstion to ".ahk" put the whole title in quotations and then save. Again, for example "Witcher3.ahk".Hope this helps. It's the only thing that's made the game playable for me. I took the week off, so I wasn't about to get screwed by lazy development.

the sticky keys issue with modifiers like ctrl/alt/shift in autohotkey is probably related to #HotkeyModifierTimeout, if you search the help. basically set this to zero, if those are used as standard hotkeys, with single press. if they need to be held down, then you'll need to create separate send {LCtrl down} Keywait, Up send {LCtrl up}, etc... if they need to be used as actual modifiers to modify other actions, then a more complex solution is required.

---------- Updated at 06:41 AM ----------

you should rebind those in the game to something like F5, F6, etc... except F12 (steam screenshot), then rebind them in autohotkey is possible.

---------- Updated at 06:43 AM ----------

although setting that value to zero might cause you shift key not to work for say, chat properly, etc... so lol, yea, rebind to F# keys.

---------- Updated at 06:46 AM ----------

So the hits just keep on coming. In Witcher 2 you could "Cast IGNI" or "Cast AARD", etc. to a button, and in so doing rarely ever have to pull up a menu. This made combat very fluid. in W3 you can no longer do this. You can only bind "Cast Sign" to a button, meaning you either HAVE TO pull up the menu each time you switch

yes this is a problem... consolification...

---------- Updated at 06:48 AM ----------

although, in 'input.settings' file in my documents\witcher folder, there are actions for 'SelectAard', 'SelectYrden', etc... so you can bind them there.

---------- Updated at 06:49 AM ----------

something like: IK_J=(Action=SelectAard) ;o

---------- Updated at 06:51 AM ----------

actually, it looks like they are bound to 3,4,5,6,7 ;o Q can be held down as well from appearances.

Thanks for the AHK tips, I will look into that. As far as binding signs to keys, I noticed I could bind specific signs to key, but it only selects them, then you have to hit Q to cast them. In W2 you could go straight to casting the specific sign. They did this to make the function work on a controller, but for KB/M it is carpel tunnel inducing. I appreciate that you can use a controller on PC, but the KB/M controls need to be optimized FOR THE KB/M. This isn't something we should have to be telling CDPR, they know this already.

Regardless of my rant towards PC neglect, I appreciate your help. Thanks again.

They screwed over left handed mouse users as well. W3 ignores the system settings and swaps the buttons to how IT feels you should play.

As a lefty i'm really pissed off over this sine it essentially means i can't pay the game properly. My mouse won't work right and i cant rebind the buttons. And no i refuse to use a 3rd part bit of software to fix things, or go hunting through INI files, i shouldn't have to.

Certainly dosent help that GOG are refusing to honor their 30day refund policy for W3 and telling people to get stuffed and go see CRPR for a refund

Forgot about AutoHotkey, had to use that when Dead Space came to PC. Hopefully this will get fixed some, but until then I'll have to brush up on how to make a AHK config.Not only was the hype immediately ruined, I took a weeks vacation in conjunction with this release. Should have known better.

---------- Updated at 07:42 PM ----------

So the hits just keep on coming. In Witcher 2 you could "Cast IGNI" or "Cast AARD", etc. to a button, and in so doing rarely ever have to pull up a menu. This made combat very fluid. in W3 you can no longer do this. You can only bind "Cast Sign" to a button, meaning you either HAVE TO pull up the menu each time you switch, or bind buttons to "equip" each sign (ie: Select INGI, select AARD), it doesn't cast them. We are going backwards here.In addition, there are separate buttons for stopping Geralt, stopping your horse and stopping your boat. Instead of just letting off the forward button. Same with diving and surfacing in the water. Instead of just using the same buttons as crouch and jump, like every other game, there are additional buttons.With all the extra time the Devs took, and going Gold early, I didn't expect to see this consolized BULLSH*T!!

I actually opened a separate thread about it, requesting instant cast to be added, feel free to post you'd like it aswell, maybe together our voices will be heard :)

EDIT: Browsing through reddit, I stumbled upon this: http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/how-to-rebind-keys-in-witcher-3/
Maybe you can use it to rebind the movement keys aswell ? I hope it helps

Last edited:
I agree. The game in its current state is unplayable to me. Still can't believe CDPR pulled this console-port move on us. I don't want to use a 3rd party software to remedy a broken control scheme. Why do I have to fix their mess? I hope this is patched soon.

Last edited:
So disappointed! As someone with the use of only one hand, keyboard/mouse configs let me play. Unfortunately, this game does not allow you to change directional (W, S, A, D) bindings. No way I can play - $85 down the drain! I'm sure if you have 2 hands, it's fine.
Also tried editing ini file - still didn't work (unless I did something wrong in my editing)

Yeah, have to agree, this is absolutely inexcusable in this day and age. Seriously, what is CDPR thinking? Why would you ever put out a PC game without the ability to rebind ALL the keys. It honestly made me want to stop playing the game. I just switched to an xbox controller, which I didn't want to do. Does CDPR have a secret deal with Microsoft or something?

So, the cancer of porting console games is going to kill this franchise as well?

Honestly i loved the witcher 1&2, but if you are going to make a follow up of a game make the game better or at least as good. I don't mind graphics being worse due to a port, but i do really mind a game that has 20+ buttons and you can't really remap anything due to some keys being locked and the most important buttons being unbindable.

WASD is common but very bad when you have a big hand. I never quite understood why WASD became the standard. Any other 4 letter combo further to the right on a keyboard is better (I prefer TFGH for my hand, your ring finger rests on the bump on f and the numbers are still reachable with ease), and your pinky is free to hit more than one ther button).

I hope this gets fixed or i just wasted money on this game. I actually pre-ordered it on steam and didn't start it until today, I never pre order but i figured i spent so much time on witcher 2 that i at least would get my moneys worth even if it wasn't as good. But it turns out i can't even play this game due to the keybindings.

Please make every key bindable!

Top Bottom