Can't beat Kayran, please help!

+
Can't beat Kayran, please help!

Hello everyone,

I am not new to The Witcher 2 but for some reason I cannot manage to defeat the Kayran in Chapter One. I understand the strategy perfectly, but I keep dying towards the end.

I start by trapping the tentacles of the Keyran and chopping them off. When I chop off three of the tentacles, I then climb onto the other tentacle as the Kayran is swinging it across the screen. I keep stabbing it, but then the Kayran simply slams Geralt into the statue and I die.

I have seen youtube videos where Geralt jumps off the tentacle before it hits the statue but I don't know how to do this. I keep pressing all different buttons and directions but I cannot jump off, I just die as I slam into the statue.

I have seen youtube videos of the fight where Gerald jumps off and then the huge stone structure falls on top of the Kayran, basically the end of the fight. I can't get to that point.

What am I doing wrong? I did play this part before (several months ago) and managed to advance. I don't remember how I did it though.

I am using an Xbox controller to play this time.

Please help me.

JacobRodefeld said:
I start by trapping the tentacles of the Keyran and chopping them off. When I chop off three of the tentacles, I then climb onto the other tentacle as the Kayran is swinging it across the screen. I keep stabbing it, but then the Kayran simply slams Geralt into the statue and I die.

It's a quick time event, you need to hit the button to climb onto the tentacle and fill the bar (from memory, with a controller it's X) and then when it's full, wait until a second button flashes on screen and press that (from memory, it's Y). That will let Geralt jump off and you can finish the fight.

(It's either X & Y, or A & B - either way, stop pressing the first one as soon as the bar is filled and get ready to press the second).

If it's still problematic, you can turn difficult QTEs off in the menu.

slimgrin said:
Turn off the QTE's in the menu, they add nothing to the game anyway.

Don't know why someone voted this down, but I just voted it up. I do support disabling difficult QTE's, they are simply annoying and as stated add nothing of value.

My idea of combat in a computer role-playing game is that it should be based around, precisely, role-playing. This usually means giving it a heavier emphasis on strategy, tactics and decision making, and not simply quickly pressing buttons. The Witcher 2 blends in action/reflex-based combat with role-playing elements, so in this case you have to actually dodge, block, attack and reposition in real time while you also execute a tactical plan. It works well. QTE's add nothing to this, so like Slimgrin said, simply turn them off if they are bugging you.

For myself it wasn`t just fill the bar and wait . The QTE bar needs to be filled completely and disappear before moving on to the next phase of the battle . If your system is close to minimum specs then lowering the screen resolution should help in this regard .

GillesLapointe said:
Hi slimgrin!
What is QTEs ?
i am french from Canada and i don't know what it means. thanks
Gilles.

QTE = "Quick Time Event". It's a game mechanic where you have to do some action (usually click a mouse button or a key) in a limited time following a signal.

TW2 has three kinds of these; you encountered them already in the Prologue:

* Click-once. For example, the QTE to dodge the dragon while crossing the bridge with Roche and Foltest. These are controlled by the "Difficult QTEs" setting in the Options menu. Turning this off turns these off: you always dodge the dragon, you always mount the Kayran's tentacle.

* Click-to-fill. For example, the QTE to aim the ballista or open the monastery gate. These are not controlled by the "Difficult QTEs" setting. The QTE to chop the Kayran's tentacle is one of them, and it seems to be the one that is most messed up.

* Fistfighting.

I'm stuck with this as well, have been for over a week, I just can't summon the enthusiasm to concentrate on this wholly unenjoyable sequence. I've managed to sever two tentacles once, but the other 100 or so attempts I've only managed one or none. I need a way past this.

In DA2 there equally enjoyable and annoying battle with a stone atronach or something that was like this, you had to go through specific moves to survive scripted actions by the monster or it would kill you. In DA2 the solution was to turn the difficulty down to minimum to get past it and you also had the benefit of pause to make sure you had the right moves.

How do you do that in this game? - I don't seem to able to turn the difficulty down. The alternative would be a means to make Geralt invulnerable for the duration via a console command. Any way to do that?

Gregorovitch said:
I'm stuck with this as well, have been for over a week, I just can't summon the enthusiasm to concentrate on this wholly unenjoyable sequence. I've managed to sever two tentacles once, but the other 100 or so attempts I've only managed one or none. I need a way past this.

In DA2 there equally enjoyable and annoying battle with a stone atronach or something that was like this, you had to go through specific moves to survive scripted actions by the monster or it would kill you. In DA2 the solution was to turn the difficulty down to minimum to get past it and you also had the benefit of pause to make sure you had the right moves.

How do you do that in this game? - I don't seem to able to turn the difficulty down. The alternative would be a means to make Geralt invulnerable for the duration via a console command. Any way to do that?

If you're on Insane or Dark, your difficulty level is locked (I think you can downgrade from Dark, though I've never done so). If you're on Easy, you can't go lower.

My recipe for cutting tentacles is this.

* Don't bother with the Kayran Trap. It's slow, and unless your timing is exquisite, Geralt will get bashed trying to set it. All it does is what Yrden would do anyway.

* Get the third Vigor point in the training tree beforehand. Being able to cast another Quen at the right time is a lifesaver, especially on Dark (unless you are very good at dodging tentacles).

* After a few false starts, you'll find out where you can set Yrden to catch the first two tentacles. Cast Quen, head for the first point, cast Yrden, dodge away. When the tentacle comes down, hack it with strong strokes. Repeat for the second tentacle. If you get hurt, run to the base of the bridge; there's a (usually) safe spot there where you can regenerate.

* Then you have to run across the Kayran to the remaining tentacles. You only need to cut one of these. Cast Quen and run like the devil is after you. Watch where the tentacles come down, cast Yrden at one of those points, and do what you learned to do on the other side.

After you have cut three tentacles, you get into the tentacle ride sequence.

I'm on hard but I can't see how to turn it down to easy for this, or if that would actually make a difference. I know the principle of how to do it, it's just I'm no good at this sort of thing and I really don't like it so the chances of me being able to perform all the necessary parts to get past this nuisance episode are pretty much zero.

It's my fault really: I enjoyed TW1 so much that didn't bother checking up too much on this game before buying it so I didn't realise there was all this arcade style stuff in it.

Gregorovitch said:
I'm on hard but I can't see how to turn it down to easy for this, or if that would actually make a difference. I know the principle of how to do it, it's just I'm no good at this sort of thing and I really don't like it so the chances of me being able to perform all the necessary parts to get past this nuisance episode are pretty much zero.

It's my fault really: I enjoyed TW1 so much that didn't bother checking up too much on this game before buying it so I didn't realise there was all this arcade style stuff in it.

Difficulty is in the in-game options menu. You have to have the game loaded, then ESC to get to the menu. You can go between Easy and Hard whenever you want. You won't get hammered so quickly on Easy.

GuyN said:
QTE = "Quick Time Event". It's a game mechanic where you have to do some action (usually click a mouse button or a key) in a limited time following a signal.

TW2 has three kinds of these; you encountered them already in the Prologue:

* Click-once. For example, the QTE to dodge the dragon while crossing the bridge with Roche and Foltest. These are controlled by the "Difficult QTEs" setting in the Options menu. Turning this off turns these off: you always dodge the dragon, you always mount the Kayran's tentacle.

* Click-to-fill. For example, the QTE to aim the ballista or open the monastery gate. These are not controlled by the "Difficult QTEs" setting. The QTE to chop the Kayran's tentacle is one of them, and it seems to be the one that is most messed up.

* Fistfighting.
Thank you very much Slimgrin.
Gilles.

Thank you so much, I am a late player (2021) Turning of those QTE worked, I was fighting the beast forever without succes, now I am trough ;)

Top Bottom