Can't belive they cut out the humanity cost from the game

+
Would love to see it in the game too. Would be an awesome way to balance everything up too. This game desperately needs to re implement the mechanics it initially had, shown in videos, demos, trailers...

I mean, THAT game, the one they shown in gameplay demos and trailers was MUCH better in EVERY single aspect. They shouldn't release anything subpar to that, and just waited until they could make all of that same experience a reality for the end user, hell even the interface was better and more detailed.

I watch the preview demos and gameplay videos and its all so heartbreaking man, everything was much much better in those videos. Released game is like a discount version of that game.

Last edited:
I've read it was cut because it was deemed offensive to people that need prosthetics IRL, ie. it doesn't make them any less human. I think that mecanic was removed in the newest edition of the TTRPG, too. Also, once you go into cyberpsychosis it's game over, so no point in including that system I guess.

It one of the most interesting mechanic of the CP2020 game!

Real lost opportunity to make a nuanced game. I know it would have been difficult, but, if they wanted to TRUELY make a statement and explore topics such as what does it mean to be human they could have done a lot. Is that not the purpose of SCI-FI? I honestly think its one of the reasons the game at times feels without consequence and hollow.

Just chop all your parts off and replace them. Easy as clicking a menu, no one cares, you can barely tell the visual difference, and it has no effect. If anything the lack of consequence is a statement in and of itself, but I don't think a good or particularly thoughtful one.

And I think as far as real criticism of this game, this is one of the core areas where the game lacks, and yet few reviews seem to pay it any mind.

Last edited:
It was said to NOT be in the game since long ago (pretty early).
It's mostly due to gameplay reasons because:
- it doesn't make any sense gameplay-wise (how would you even implement it? several psycho-stages?)
- nor is it any fun when your humanity reaches lower levels (or zero)
Technically the lower you go, the less control you have left. Surely it would be kinda like Johnny taking over, but you don't get to play and watch what happens, without your consent every now and then (similar to very few instances already in the game)
and when it reaches zero - Game Over. Congratulations.

The only thing I'd see this implementes would be as balancing reason down to a min of 30-40 and you have to chose which cybernetics you wanna install. Also on a Roleplaying level it would make sense to grow colder emotionally. But with a fully voiced huge game like that? No fucking way.

No, even though it's just my own opinion, it was very wise to not implement this.

Real lost opportunity to make a nuanced game. I know it would have been difficult, but, if they wanted to TRUELY make a statement and explore topics such as what does it mean to be human they could have done a lot. I honestly think its one of the reasons the game at times feels without consequence and hollow.

Just chop all your parts off and replace them. Easy as clicking a menu, no one cares, you can barely tell the visual difference, and it has no effect. If anything the lack of consequence is a statement in and of itself, but I don't think a good or particularly thoughtful one.

And I think as far as real criticism of this game, this is one of the core areas where the game lacks, and yet few reviews seem to pay it any mind.

i grew up watching GITS SAC and watching motoko go diving in an attempt to be born again as a human has had a profound impact on me. despite all the other myriads of sci fi and cyberpunk influences that have come along since then, this idea of what makes a human a human has always been at the forefront of what the genre means to me. i would have loved to play as a cyborg who has voluntarily cast aside his humanity in order to achieve cybernetic perfection. it's depressing to think what the game could have been

- it doesn't make any sense gameplay-wise (how would you even implement it? several psycho-stages?)
Technically the lower you go, the less control you have left. Surely it would be kinda like Johnny taking over, but you don't get to play and watch what happens, without your consent every now and then (similar to very few instances already in the game)

The only thing I'd see this implementes would be as balancing reason down to a min of 30-40 and you have to chose which cybernetics you wanna install. Also on a Roleplaying level it would make sense to grow colder emotionally. But with a fully voiced huge game like that? No fucking way.

No, even though it's just my own opinion, it was very wise to not implement this.
They could have balanced and connected to the pointless cyberpsycho quest.
After all the main point of it is to bring all of them alive to be treated.
May be some time after the end of it they will find a "cure" and help you that way.

It could be very straightforwardly implemented:

Imagine 3 stages of humanity like in the original RPG. 3, 2, 1.

At stage 3 you are mostly human. You canhave a cyberdeck, opticks, grip and a few other spaces for cyberware.

At stage 2 you have your arms removed, gain access to things like mantis blades and more syberware options. You gain a few unique dialogue options and reactions. And maybe some relationship limitations.

At stage 1 you are a machine almost entirely. Remove your legs and can have leg modifications and everything else. Overlay the spoken voice lines with a robotic monotone, no new recording needing. A few new lines/reactions and limited relationships ship. People are generally afraid of you or see you as a threat, even the joy toys want nothing to do with you.

They could have made one of the ending end as a cyberpsycho, if you go to humanity 1 and then depending on a few choices. Boom now thats covered. This makes a robust system thats pretty basic. Because let's be honest a lot of the cyberware is lackluster anyway.

In this way its mostly a role-playing thing with fewer lines needing to be added. Its not THAT hard.

Last edited:
They could have balanced and connected to the pointless cyberpsycho quest.
After all the main point of it is to bring all of them alive to be treated.
May be some time after the end of it they will find a "cure" and help you that way.

I don't mind finding a cure for the cyberpsychosis and wanted to explore this quest further.
But you have to deal a lot of the game with your own "cyberpsychosis" with Johnny, so to dump another distracting element on top of that would just be too much.
Maybe... this questline will come back later and it is somehting that might actually help with your status (after the current game) while trying to find a "cure"? mhh....

At stage 3 you are mostly human. You canhave a cyberdeck, opticks, grip and a few other spaces for cyberware.

At stage 2 you have your arms removed, gain access to things like mantis blades and more syberware options. You gain a few unique dialogue options and reactions. And maybe some relationship limitations.

At stage 1 you are a machine almost entirely. Remove your legs and can have leg modifications and everything else. Overlay the spoken voice lines with a robotic monotone, no new recording needing. A few new lines/reactions and limited relationships ship. People are generally afraid of you or see you as a threat, even the joy toys want nothing to do with you.

In this way its mostly a role-playing thing with fewer lines needing to be added. Its not THAT hard.
Exactly this. If they had some sort of relationship consequences in the game besides whether you're male or female, this kind of thing would have worked well.

Lower humanity could relate to Maelstrom gang more, NCPD less (attack on site?)
Romances could be different.
Options for responses in dialogue with other quests.
Less humanity and more tech means more netrunner perks, or tech perks in general.
There are tons of ways it could have been played out if the underlying systems were in place.

They could have made one of the ending end as a cyberpsycho, if you go to humanity 1 and then depending on a few choices. Boom now thats covered.

I see your points and it's just more detailed but kind of the same as what I said. And I still don't think it would fit the gameplay (and narrative) very well. It sounds like a completely different lifepath added on the side, when they haven't even really fully embraced implementing the ones who are in the game right now.

I see your points and it's just more detailed but kind of the same as what I said. And I still don't think it would fit the gameplay (and narrative) very well. It sounds like a completely different lifepath added on the side, when they haven't even really fully embraced implementing the ones who are in the game right now.

I agree, if they had a system like this in place there might be some different design decisions, and you would want to build around the relic and such.

I just dont understand artistically why they would walk away from the central theme of the genre. But, I think you make a good point, they left a lot on the cutting room floor.

But hey it has raytracing. That most of the players probably can't turn on.

Sorry for the cynicism. ;)

Top Bottom