“Can’t Counter Attack/Parry” Issue – *Solution!

+
“Can’t Counter Attack/Parry” Issue – *Solution!

Hey guys! :D

I’ve been meaning to post this for a little while now, but I’ve seen a small Achievement/Trophy “blocking” Issue with this reported in various areas online with no obvious answer.

It’s not really a bug as such; I would say it’s more of a general mechanical issue, it’s actually quite hard to distinguish in this case because I’m not sure if it’s intended or not.

I encountered this problem myself when trying to get the “Kaer Morhen Trained” and the subsequent “What Was That?” Achievements /Trophies due to being unable to use the counterattack ability and I have found, what seems to be, a solution to quite a common problem with this, so thought I would share. :)

Some of you may have come across this problem yourself or asked the question “How do I counter attack/I can’t Parry” etc.

The majority of players will respond to this question with a howling crescendo of “Git Gud!” stating that the Counterattack needs to be effectively timed, which it does and I thought the same thing!

I must have tried this about 50 times over and over, thinking my timing was out, until I managed to figure it out.

Most online top hit video tutorials for these Achievements/Trophies state the easiest way to get this is with the lone guard at the “White Orchard” Village – This is where the problem is!

I am at the level cap of 100 so all of my guards are automatically level capped at 105, White Orchard guards included.

Not only could I not counter, but could neither block, parry or counter any single armed combat moves from them and this includes my Quen Shield being broken instantly in the process if it is charged, no matter what I do to try and block those massive hits.

Despite the timing needed to execute this, the counter attack move has a pretty broad window in actioning it; there is no “magic spot” where you need to hammer that button down. The human foe simply needs to be swinging a single armed attack like a short sword, or club in your general direction at any point. (No double armed weapons such as axes/hammers Etc.)

Put simply, the issue is not with you if you are hitting that button, it’s the fact you are unable to use any defensive mechanics against Human foes that are a higher level than you.

The only defensive move that I could do was, the timed deflected arrow ability, aimed to hit the archer who loosed the arrow, regardless of level ratio.

This is not a massive problem for a lot of players, but some have reported this issue and it can be a little frustrating for them to seemingly be unable to use these moves, with no big answer, so here is short guide on how to overcome it:
  1. Make sure you have the “Counterattack” ability unlocked and placed in the correlating area where you assign abilities - It’s in the red/Combat Skill section under the “Defence” section of your Skill Tree.
  2. Locate a random Bandit Camp - Any will do, just as long as you are a higher level than them, you may want to find a fairly similar level to you if you are trying to get the “What Was That?” Achievement/Trophy since they could be killed on the first blow, but still make sure they are still slightly lower than you, Toussaint Fallen Knights, Velen (Devil’s Pit) or the respawning Pirate Bandits on the Faroe Isles are usually around the 60+ margin if you are at the level cap of 100.)
  3. Clear out all Bandits, but leave a single archer - Archers carry single handed swords, so this is the safest bet to attack them, just move up to them as close as you can for them to replace their arrows and switch to using their sword.
  4. Carry out the steps to acquire the Achievement/Trophy – You should be able to unlock these now you can action the “counterattack” ability with a fair amount of ease and you will see what I mean on how easy it actually is to counter and parry.
*Please do let me know if this helps those of you who have this issue, I tested this for myself at it works perfectly for me, but I’m keen to see if this works for anyone else.

Thanks!

Spoons

Top Bottom