Can't do finishers on some enemies

+

iCake

Forum veteran
Can't do finishers on some enemies

Hello all.

First, I must say that last I played this game was several months ago and now I decided to return to it. I got a brand new GOTY edition and started playing it enjoying it as if playing for the first time. Still do, but I noticed a bug that was never present in previous versions of the game. I, for some reason, can't pull off a finisher on sirens and echidnas, harpies work out all right though.

In a nutshell, a finisher button appears over a knocked down AND out enemy, I press it, Geralt starts a sequence animation, either running to finish off a distant enemy or slowly getting into the right position to do away with a close baddy. The problem is he seems to bump into an invisible wall that seperates him from this perfect position. He tries to get there for a brief moment, realizes he can't and then just do a normal attack.

It's not a big deal, but a bit dissapointing to have this in a supposedly complete game. More so since that wasn't an issue way back when. I've spent like at least 10 hours on Skellige already, fight off a great many sirens and still have to see at least one finisher on them.

Playing on Xbox One if it makes any difference.

This sometimes happens with knocked-down enemies as well, like Drowners that have been thoroughly Aarded. The "Finish off" prompt appears, but Geralt only does a normal attack rather than finishing off the enemy.

I've disabled the game's soft lock mechanism entirely, so Geralt doesn't leap to attack distant enemies, but he still doesn't want to do finishers on some enemies. I do seem to recall those Skellige pests being extremely difficult to get finishers on.

And for the record I'm playing the GOTY version on GOG.

iCake

Forum veteran
RidiculousName

It's true that finishers didn't always work flawlessly, still don't, but I don't remember them being outright impossible. Back in the day I'd blow the Hornwall Horn and leisurely finish those pesky sirens off with a single lethal move, now I have to chop at them for a while.

isnt there an option to do finishers automatically? you ca activate it and geralt just dos the animation and you don't need to press a key to do it,

For what it's worth, I managed to get manual finishers working fairly well for a bit, but then an update seemed to make it very difficult to pull them off again. And I've never had the "prompt" appear above enemies' heads.

When I use Automatic Finishers, I get them all the time. It creates a really cinematic experience. Plus, once you have the pattern down as to when they will occur, it becomes pretty easy to "pull them off at will". One of my favorite things to do is beat-up carefully on a bunch of junk mobs, drop a Samum bomb, then see how many finishers I can get in-a-row before they all recover.

So I've given up on manual finishers altogether.

Top Bottom