Can't figure out performance issues

+
So I started playing for the first time today after picking up the game on some steam sale or something a couple of months ago and I can't even play the combat tutorial because of massive fps drops and lags when any combat happens

(me attacking, me getting attacked, me parrying, me counter-attacking, me activating any spells. the only time it doesn't happen is if I dodge or roll)

This happens even at the lowest possible settings and resolution, I have read through forum posts and things for an hour and have tried a lot of things.

PC Specs
I5 8600k
16gb RAM
RTX 2080
750 Seasonic Focus plus 80plus gold
game installed on samsung 860 pro

Notes: have two monitors, one is g-sync and both have same problem
I'm just fed up at this point, any help from someone who had similar issues would be appreciated.

Maybe this existing thread can help you:

Also it‘s best to close all background applications with some sort of overlay. For example, things like MSI afterburner, fraps, uplay...

And it‘s usually best to avoid underclocking and overclocking.

Can you confirm if your game utilizes the right videocard ? msi afterburner will help you with that.

Also use DDU and restart before reinstalling your graphics drivers.

Does this only happen for witcher 3 ?

Can you confirm if your game utilizes the right videocard ? msi afterburner will help you with that.

^ That was going to be my first suggestion, as well. Sounds like the game may be utilzing your on-board video instead of the 2080. Is this a custom-built rig?

Head to your Nvidia Control Panel ---> Manage 3D settings ---> Game-specific settings for witcher3.exe ---> CUDA GPUs ---> and manually select the RTX 2080. Also, hit the Power Settings option (still in Manage 3D settings) and ensure it's set to "Prefer Maximum Performance".

Top Bottom