Can't get over 60 - 65 FPS no matter what resolution or settings on PC

+
Want to say thank you @jeffb0918 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In-Place upgrade fixed my issue. 2560x1440p@144hz was stuck at 75-78fps, after uninstalling all ASUS software, running CCleaner, and doing the In-place upgrade got me up to 130+! (Mostly medium settings, NO RTX, DLSS Quality)

F**K ASUS SOFTWARE!

Thanks again, hope this helps others!

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 16GB 3200Mhz DDR4, 1TB WD SN850 NVME, 2080 Super

I had FPS capped at 68-70, regardless of the graphics settings. On a 3090.
However, i managed to fix it without having to do windows upgrades and other weird crap.

The culprit is ASUS AI Suite 3, or rather, a setting that it configures and then forgets to revert when uninstalled. gg ASUS, you dumbasses.
The reason the in-place windows upgrade works is because it reverts that setting to default.

Anyway, the fix is much simpler:

1. Uninstall AI Suite 3
2. Reboot
3. start a cmd as administrator and run:
bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock
4. Reboot
5. Enjoy high FPS again

Cheers

EDIT: Come to think about it, this setting is not dependent on AI Suite 3 per se.
So, even if you don't have (or ever had) AI Suite 3, give this a try. Maybe it'll help.

Not sure why CP cares about this, other games don't seem to have this issue. Maybe if someone from the CDPR team ever sees this, they might look into it.
Damm. Holy shit!! 2 days trying to troubleshoot this and you saved my life! Thank you so much!

So I have a very weird problem. I had to reinstall Windows 10 for unrelated reasons. Reinstalled Windows 10, fully updated, current NVidia drivers, current Chipset drivers (pretty much all as before) and reinstalled Cyberpunk 2077.

However, when I was able to get around 100FPS in most areas of the game at RayTracing Ultra settings with 100% GPU Utilization and 50% CPU, now it caps at pretty much exactly 60 (60-65FPS) with only 70%/20% GPU/CPU. I have no G-Sync/V-Sync or FPS Limit set. This is very obviously no Performance issue but some kind of cap.

Specs:
Windows 10
RTX 3080 Ti
AMD Ryzen 5900X

Anybody got an idea on how to fix this or where this comes from all of a sudden? Because 60FPS is nice, but I'd like to go back to the buttery smooth 100FPS I had for 40 hours before the reinstall.

EDIT: Oh yeah, also, my monitor is still set to 144Hz in the NVidia control panel.

Sounds like a bottleneck. Guessing theres some missing driver/fix you hade previously. SMT fix used to be popular with AMD cpus for Cp2077. Or theres something limiting you to 60-65 fps since the usage has gone down aswell.

I definitely did not have the SMT fix. I just intalled Cyberpunk like a month ago and it just worked perfectly. Now it doesn't. In both cases also Version 1.23 (I bought the game relatively recently).

Hmm weird. Seeing your cpu usage went down too seems to indicate that theres either a framelock or the cpu cant keep up with feeding the data too the gpu. No mods? Tested starting a new character to see if its allways that fps? Using what DLSS setting? Resolution?

Resolution is 2560x1440, same as I had it before. I tried different DLSS settings, no change other than that my usage sometimes went even lower than those 70%.

Other games and benchmarks also don't seem to suffer the same issue. In smaller games I still get the usual 150+ frames uncapped that I used to. It seems only CP 2077 is having problems.

Then there must be something limiting your fps ingame. Tried disabeling every Overlay? Any other program you use that might be limiting fps? If you dont se an increase with changing DLSS settings something is really weird. Using shadowplays replay? Have you tryed to repair the game install?

Same problem here, yesterday it was working fine and today my gpu usage won't go above 70%. I think the latest windows update (KB5005033) is the cause.
Just tested and i get over 60-65 when i can achive it. i play at 4k tho so need ultra performance DLSS to get it. Just checked and i have that update installed. Could be something affected by that update tho i guess.

Last edited:
Little update: Sine this Installation of Windows 10 wasn't old anyway, I decided to reinstall completely again, also trying out multiple different drivers.

No change in Cyberpunk 2077.

I tried running Resident Evil Village with Max Raytracing and 3DMark and they both have no problem loading my card to 90+%, so it's some serious weirdness going on with Cyberpunk 2077 only. RE8 even hits 144FPS outside of combat, so yeah, the card should be in tip top shape.

(The new NVidia drivers are all known for being unstable and buggy, so I wouldn't rule out that it's some f' up on the driver end that only impacts certain games, but I have no way to tell, because the same driver version used to run just fine but who knows).

Have you submitted a bug report?

I will, since I think I can't find a solution.
Post automatically merged:

I want to add one more thing - I have found a few users over on the NVidia Boards reporting a very similar problem as mine (GPU does not go past 70%) for Cyberpunk 2077 and Horizon Zero Dawn. The only strange thing is that the issue persists even after I DDU and downgraded to an older NVidia version.

But this smells like it might be an NVidia problem after all. Will submit a Bug Report though to CD P Red as well.

Last edited:
What about fresh Windows installation (without updates) as well as stock GPU drivers (provided on CD)?
I wonder if the issue would still persist...

However I believe it's better to have 60-65 FPS with less GPU usage than 100 FPS and 100% GPU usage. There shouldn't be any noticeable difference past 60 fps until reaching like 120+

What about fresh Windows installation (without updates) as well as stock GPU drivers (provided on CD)?
I wonder if the issue would still persist...

However I believe it's better to have 60-65 FPS with less GPU usage than 100 FPS and 100% GPU usage. There shouldn't be any noticeable difference past 60 fps until reaching like 120+
You are no entirely wrong, however any sudden change in system behavior is a bad thing in my opinion.

And I do feel that 90 is smoother than 60. It's because I am used to having 144 in most other games.

Guest 3847602

This is unbelievable. I just started the game from the .exe directly and now I'm getting 99% gpu usage.
Sometimes the game's process keeps running in the background after you exit to desktop. Open the task manager and check if that's the case.

Incredible find Ceasr. Starting cyberpunk.exe directly from the install directory fixes the problem for me. Now getting 98-99% GPU utilization. Launching from EPIC games and going thru the REDLauncher causes me to peak at 60% utilzation and loose nearly half my framerate.

This all started on Thur August 12 for me. Game worked fine before then. Reverting windows patches, trying different versions of nvidia's driver, and even a complete reinstall of windows did not fix the problem. Tried all sorts of other random changes as well.

I just filed a bug report, referencing this thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom