Can't launch the game

+
I was playing fine not even 10 minutes ago, I noticed the console button wouldn't work. I went out (sometimes hotkeys glitch and get fixed by restarting) and when I wanted to launch the game again the play button only greys out for a second and then becomes pink again. I checked NMM, and Cyberengine tweaks was disabled (I didn't do it). I activated it. Still no launch. I deactivated all my 4 mods. Still no launch. I validated files. No luck.

There are some players which can't launch the game too, even with the new version of CET
There are some "fix" too, but I can't be sure^^
On the comment on CET nexus page :
For people who can't even start the game after clicking "Play" button in REDlauncher with game version 1.61:
1. Update all your mods to newest version.
2. Disable the following mods:
cybercmd, Mod Settings, Input Loader and all the mods which require them.

Or you can wait for the updates for cybercmd, Mod Settings and Input Loader.

Well I guess I could do without CET, although I do like it a lot. It allows me to change car colors (with another mod). Why are all V's cars so dull? Most are dark grey or brown, or look dirty or rusted. I also respec perks and attributes sometimes to experiment, another mod, and then there's that essential make Judy romanceable console line.
The strange thing is that the game wouldn't launch even with all mods disabled.

Turns out the problem was indeed caused by CET. There is a new version for 1.61. Apparently, CET makes changes in game files, therefore simply disabling it doesn't fix the problem. Supposedly the problem could be fixed by just updating CET, but I don't regret reinstalling if messed up files can be involved. Maybe I'll give up on mods entirely and just drive in boring dark grey cars, and forget about Judy. But I'm NOT romancing Panam. Or River. Or Kerry.

If the mods are well updated for 1.61, it should work fine :)
Most often, if you played a modded game, whatever the game, it's better avoid to install a new game update directly. There are great chances that at best, you'll encounter issues, at worst, it will "broke" the game.
So better to be sure that all of the mods you're using are updated and compatible before installing an update (so disabling the auto-update option in your launcher).

OK I reinstalled and started a new game. No mods for now. But I found a problem, I think I have all my graphics settings like before, but when I come out of menu for a few seconds everything looks horrible, glare and glitches. Feels something like the performance bug they just fixed, but now graphical...
Glare.jpg

Indeed, it look horrible :(
It happen each time you exit the menu ?
You tried to set your graphic settings to default, quit and relaunch the game ?
If you use Steam cloud, which I assume also save your game settings... try set your graphic settings to default after disabling Steam Cloud (if there is something corrupted in the settings, Steam will resinstall the same "corrupted" file again).

I use GoG which also has a cloud. I'll try that you suggest. The problem seems to happen mostly if I look at the map. It doesn't happen so much if I go into inventory, main menu, or character.
I love this game but it is a technical PITA. But, I must add, other than that glitch going out of map menu, the game overall looks pretty well. Graphics are improved somehow.

Last edited:
I love this game but it is a technical PITA. But, I must add, other than that glitch going out of map menu, the game overall looks pretty well. Graphics are improved somehow.
But you can't blame CDPR for issues/bugs due to mods (which you use "at your own risks") :)
If it doesn't work, I could also suggest to make a clean install of your drivers, which is one of the first things to do when encountering vissual issues.

NVIDIA
I. Download the latest drivers using the following link: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
II. Download Display Driver Uninstaller and run it to remove previous versions of drivers.
III. Clean install drivers that you've downloaded in step 1.
AMD
I. Uninstall your graphics drivers using the AMD Cleanup Utility software.
II. Download and clean install the latest drivers from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support

If you’re on GoG click on the button next to the “Play” button (looks like 2 setting sliders in a box) and go to “manage installation” and select “verify/repair” and it will fix/replace any missing or corrupt game files. Takes about 2-3min. Update any mods you have INCLUDING cyber engine tweaks for 1.61, The cyber engine tweaks for 1.6 did not allow my game to launch until I updated. Red4ext also appeared to hinder the game from launching until I updated it.

@Caralampio
You wouldn't happen to have been using the FSR mod and/or the eye adaptation mod right? If you intend to use the mod implementation of FSR then you need the updated dll files. The eye adaptation mod doesn't have a compatible version for 1.61 yet.

For anyone getting crash on splash with mods: If you are using Red4ext you should try disabling the overlay. Had this problem in a previous version don't know if fixed yet.

@Caralampio
You wouldn't happen to have been using the FSR mod and/or the eye adaptation mod right? If you intend to use the mod implementation of FSR then you need the updated dll files. The eye adaptation mod doesn't have a compatible version for 1.61 yet.

For anyone getting crash on splash with mods: If you are using Red4ext you should try disabling the overlay. Had this problem in a previous version don't know if fixed yet.
As I said a few posts above, I'm currently in a new game, without mods and just reinstalled.
On further observation, the problem absolutely only happens after going to the Map, not in any other tab or menu. The problem was worse for some reason at the Coyote Cojo, just starting a new Streetkid, as seen in the screenshot above; perhaps because of the intense pastel colors. As I have continued playing, now the problem is only a whiteout, as if someone is pointing a spotlight at my face, everything is white for a couple of seconds and slowly fades to normal. Almost tolerable once you know what to expect, and I'm avoiding using the Map without need (especially, not in the middle of something important). More tolerable than the recent bug where you had fps drops when getting out of menu. In fact, it does look something like eye adaptation, except I don't have that mod. I remember I hated the silly eye adaptation in Fallout 4.

As I said a few posts above, I'm currently in a new game, without mods and just reinstalled.
On further observation, the problem absolutely only happens after going to the Map, not in any other tab or menu. The problem was worse for some reason at the Coyote Cojo, just starting a new Streetkid, as seen in the screenshot above; perhaps because of the intense pastel colors. As I have continued playing, now the problem is only a whiteout, as if someone is pointing a spotlight at my face, everything is white for a couple of seconds and slowly fades to normal. Almost tolerable once you know what to expect, and I'm avoiding using the Map without need (especially, not in the middle of something important). More tolerable than the recent bug where you had fps drops when getting out of menu. In fact, it does look something like eye adaptation, except I don't have that mod. I remember I hated the silly eye adaptation in Fallout 4.
Has been there at times for me since game release. Everything is ultra bright for a couple of seconds at times when i exited menus. Almost like it sets the gama or something ^^

Edit: You using HDR by the way? was suspecting it could be that for some time but never cared enough too test it out.

Last edited:
As I have continued playing, now the problem is only a whiteout
Yeah that particular problem has been there since day one as has been said. It's to do with how the eye adaptation is implemented. Not even the mod fixes it (it goes darker instead, which is more tolerable but still a problem)

I was playing fine not even 10 minutes ago, I noticed the console button wouldn't work. I went out (sometimes hotkeys glitch and get fixed by restarting) and when I wanted to launch the game again the play button only greys out for a second and then becomes pink again. I checked NMM, and Cyberengine tweaks was disabled (I didn't do it). I activated it. Still no launch. I deactivated all my 4 mods. Still no launch. I validated files. No luck.
For me the problem was Red4ext

It changes with the time of day. At night it's mostly whiteouts. At day mostly blackouts. I just hadn't seen it so regularly after closing a menu. I had however experienced the "nuclear blast" effect sometimes out in the Badlands, the sky becoming completely white.

You know, attempts by game developers to imitate the functioning of the human eye are pointless and only cause problems. For example, motion blur. You don't need a game to give you "motion blur", if you are looking at the center of the screen and objects in the periphery are moving, your retina can't focus on them anyway and they will be blurred naturally. Or various attempts to make the periphery of the screen out of focus like the normal "visual field"; same principle, if you are looking at the center of the screen, the periphery will be out of focus naturally and no need for the game to put it out of focus. What only happens is that if you turn your physical eyes or head towards the screen edge, you will see everything there unnaturally out of focus and that feels weird.

And this trying to imitate eye adaptation to light and dark, it comes out completely wrong. It only happens that way in the real world when you SUDDENLY come out of intense dark to intense light, or out of intense light to intense dark, and is caused by the pupil dilating or contracting. In regular circumstances the eye adapts smoothly. The other day I was going through a darkened underpass and I watched the square of light ahead. It looked perfectly clear, the trees, the vehicles already out in the sunlight, etc. and I could still see the tunnel and the things in it perfectly fine too. In the game however the illuminated area outside looks all white like that bright tunnel they say you see when you die.

If CDPR wants to fix this, the solution is to get rid of eye adaptation effects completely. Don't try to fix or improve, just remove them.

You know, attempts by game developers to imitate the functioning of the human eye are pointless and only cause problems.
To be fair V's eyes are implants so for this particular game it makes some sense for it to act like more like a camera, except it's 2077 and you'd hope top of the line Kiroshi's perform almost on par with ganics if not better. :shrug:

Top Bottom