Can't run the game with Ray Tracing anymore... (Problems regarding VRAM memory on 2K)

+
Hey there everyone. It has came to my attention that ever since 1.5, the game seems impossible to run on decent settings with RT Medium / Reflections on my 3070 Ti. The issues is that there are less populated areas RT works just fine without FPS drops or anything but everytime I go to populated places such as Kabuki Market, Jig-Jig Street, any city center, the game FPS tanks to 30-40 (The lowest being less than 20 FPS). It seemed strange to me at first, I thought it was just optimization issues but the truth is that it seems new ray tracing settings makes any 3000 series card below 3080 (except for 3060 but it is really not a 2K card) unable to run the game on RT/2K settings because 8 GB VRAM is not enough any longer. Are there any other people who is having this problem also if so did you manage to find a solution or anything? I sincerely hope that CDPR somehow do something to make the RT performance more optimized (a tiny touch is all we needed because the max VRAM usage I saw was 8200 GB VRAM) because the game is amazing, I really do love playing it and RT settings are very noticable now, the game just looks dull without it. My system rig and settings are given below, have a nice day everyone.

B550 Tomahawk

5600x

3070 Ti Aorus Master

Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD

Crucial Ballistic 32 GB 3600 CL16 RAM

Corsair RM850x v.2

Noctua NH-D15

32 GB 3600MHZ CL16 RAM

Game Settings:

All the settings are highest expect for Cascaded Shadows Resolution, Volumetric Fog Resolution, Volumetric Cloud Quality, Ambient Occlusion, Screen Space Resolution being Medium. Motion Blur is Low. Crowd Density is Medium. Ray Tracing: Medium with only Reflections enabled. DLSS is Balanced with 1.0 Sharpness. I run the game on 2K.

I've also attached some screenshots regarding the FPS drops and high VRAM usage:

Attachments

• 1 (1).jpg
    1 (1).jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 1 (2).jpg
    1 (2).jpg
    485.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 1 (3).jpg
    1 (3).jpg
    557.2 KB · Views: 122
I would suggest to send a ticket directly to the support. At best, if there is any "official" solution or tips, they'll provide them to you. And at least, you'll be sure that they are aware about it ;)

Thank you very much for that. I just did submit a ticket and I really do hope that they would adress this issue. I've seen many people on this forum complaining about this issue. Here's to hoping that it gets fixed.

Yep, known problem. Especially in areas with a lot of lighting effects (e.g. at Afterlife Club). Most of the time the FPS returns to the normal level, but sometimes not. There are then consistently 10-15 FPS missing. There is currently hardly anything that can be done about this, besides a restart/reload. Only reduce texture quality. But who wants that? The difference is simply too big.

I sincerely do hope that CDPR fixes it in the upcoming patches. Ray Tracing looks gorgeous now and I really want to be able to experience it without any issues.
Yep, known problem. Especially in areas with a lot of lighting effects (e.g. at Afterlife Club). Most of the time the FPS returns to the normal level, but sometimes not. There are then consistently 10-15 FPS missing. There is currently hardly anything that can be done about this, besides a restart/reload. Only reduce texture quality. But who wants that? The difference is simply too big.

Well they added alot of RTX effects with 1.5 so its not really that odd. In more populated areas it adds too the load, its weird it doesnt go away after tho. Might be its not unloading it in some weird way.

Vram usage is pretty high now too, ive seen it take up to 16gb on my 3090 (no other game has ever done that except for shadercashe games) even just opening the map can sometimes take up to 1,5 gb extra. Im not that worried since i have plenty but it must be hard too keep the game running for extended periods of time on cards with less no matter the resolution.

Well they added alot of RTX effects with 1.5 so its not really that odd. In more populated areas it adds too the load, its weird it doesnt go away after tho. Might be its not unloading it in some weird way.

Vram usage is pretty high now too, ive seen it take up to 16gb on my 3090 (no other game has ever done that except for shadercashe games) even just opening the map can sometimes take up to 1,5 gb extra. Im not that worried since i have plenty but it must be hard too keep the game running for extended periods of time on cards with less no matter the resolution.
I think the graphics are improved somewhat also because I remember playing the game without RT on before 1.5 and it's performance was better than what I currently have but as I've said textures look better now. So I am guessing it's not just ray tracing that got improved but also the graphics itself. Could you please tell me at what resolution do you run CP2077 on? I am assuming it is 4K, isn't it? Also are your settings ultra?

Last edited:
I think the graphics are improved somewhat also because I remember playing the game without RT on before 1.5 and it's performance was better than what I currently have but as I've said textures look better now. So I am guessing it's not just ray tracing that got improved but also the graphics itself. Could you please tell me at what resolution do you run CP2077 on? I am assuming it is 4K, isn't it? Also are your settings ultra?
yea maxed all settings at 4k with dlss performance. I get around 60 fps but i have some dips into 40s at some spots with loads of npc/lights/so on. Im not sure i see any change in textures, there might be but for me the biggest change is the extra RTX effects with local lighing and so on.

Lors

Forum regular
Well, it is almost 6 months since update 1.5. I don't expect a fix anymore as they don't even seem to care or even see the need to post a statement to the community.

I will buy the 4090 though, which should fix the problem I hope.

Top Bottom