Cant upgrade to epic or legendary status.

+
Lets take the Black Unicorn for example. I am level 50 across the board and most skills unlocked. This is a brand new playthrough on the latest patch. So when i take the rare black unicorn to upgrade it (5 times for epic 12 for leg) it disappears from the menu after one upgrade then says blocked. What am I supposed to do in order to upgrade to legendary status? Is there something I am missing?

I have few questions :)
level 50 on a "fresh" started playthrough in 1.5...? I'm a "big" player and I'm far (to not say very very very) from level 50.

Anyway, normally, for upgrade an iconic item (to an higher version like legendary), it's in "crafting" section.
You "recraft" an epic version once (the rare version is destroyed). Then you "recraft" a legendary version (the epic version is destroyed).

The upgrade tab is only to increase the level of weapons, so stats, bonus,... But it don't change the rarity.

I noticed that they added the ability to upgrade the weapon in the fashion mentioned by the original poster and gave you the ability to craft more at the rare quality. As mentioned the weapon rarity improves to epic at 5 upgrades and to legendary at 12 and the same with the jacket and the two shirts as well, which makes it hell if you upgrade too far as I upgraded Black Unicorn 6 or 7 times and then accidentally sold it and bought it back but now I have to get to 9th level before I can re-equip it.

Edit:
The rarity upgrade through the upgrade tab is actually mentioned in the crafting information block of the Black Unicorn if you click on it and I think should be showing up in the upgrade tab as well, but I have not noticed if it does.

Ah ok, only these items (I didn't pay attention, sorry).
Bonus items found in stash (2 DLC Jackets + 4 Registration Reward items) have new functionality:
  • From now on, these items will increase their Rarity after performing a certain amount of upgrades.
  • Added a base crafting spec for each item (Rare quality). The player's list of available crafting specs on existing saves will be properly updated to accommodate this change.
So you bought back directly ?
Maybe it's due to fact that shop have their inventory set to the player level (or few level lower and higher) and so it was "reseted" as soon as you have sell it :(
The most obvious solution is to reload a saves before sell it. But it could be a while ago... Or recraft a new one, but you will have to level up, because I think the new crafted one will be set at your level.

also if you leave them in your stash and grind to level 50 then remove them from your stash they scale to your level making it impossible to upgrade them im not sure why they didnt just do the same thing for these items like they did evey other iconic weapon they also changed the luminescent punk jacket and multilayered syn-leather deltajock jacket to the same system and removed the old recipes from the game im just hoping they didnt do the same with silverhands armor

also if you leave them in your stash and grind to level 50 then remove them from your stash they scale to your level making it impossible to upgrade them im not sure why they didnt just do the same thing for these items like they did evey other iconic weapon they also changed the luminescent punk jacket and multilayered syn-leather deltajock jacket to the same system and removed the old recipes from the game im just hoping they didnt do the same with silverhands armor
It can be annoying, but for those who didn't invest any point in tech skill, it's a good way to upgrade items to legendary (there are good and bad side).

It can be annoying, but for those who didn't invest any point in tech skill, it's a good way to upgrade items to legendary (there are good and bad side).

Annoying? no huge oversight making it impossible for me to use 7 items to there best ability luckly they didnt change johnnys cloths

Last edited:
I also ran into this problem, when I first took the Witcher apparel out of my stash (as one does after playing the Witcher for a while) I got their blueprints too, but I can't upgrade the items more than once... Also when I craft new ones they are also limited to one-time upgrades. Me and my techie builds... They have been nerfed hard...

I also ran into this problem, when I first took the Witcher apparel out of my stash (as one does after playing the Witcher for a while) I got their blueprints too, but I can't upgrade the items more than once... Also when I craft new ones they are also limited to one-time upgrades. Me and my techie builds... They have been nerfed hard...
I suppose that you're level 50 :(
Items crafted at level 50 can be upgraded only once to reach the max level (50).

Lets take the Black Unicorn for example. I am level 50 across the board and most skills unlocked. This is a brand new playthrough on the latest patch. So when i take the rare black unicorn to upgrade it (5 times for epic 12 for leg) it disappears from the menu after one upgrade then says blocked. What am I supposed to do in order to upgrade to legendary status? Is there something I am missing?
Has there been any word on if we can finish upgrading the Black Unicorn once we hit level 50?

Has there been any word on if we can finish upgrading the Black Unicorn once we hit level 50?
Sadly, I don't think so :(
You need to upgrade it a minimum number of times to raise it to legendary. And once you reach level 50, that's no longer possible. Let's hope it will be "fixed/changed" in the future update.

Mine seems to upgrade all on it's own when I level. I have a newish level 20 and the Black unicorn is Legendary, I have unlocked Legendary crafting.

I am 100% sure I haven't upgraded it myself and I only have 3 mods, redscript, CET and no radios.

Top Bottom