Can't win anymore with NG

+
Can't win anymore with NG

Used this deck to climb to rank 10 into ranked MP. But after I faced tons of weather cards, neither Eggebracht (used even twice), neither letho and bomb help. Some decks runs two gold weather cards and renew + bronze weather. I'm level 5 now. Went on amazing 15 rounds loss streak. Sad.

Any tips to survive this mess?

Lose the knights and add 2 Nauzicaa Standard Bearers. Replace the last one with another medic, perhaps. Auckes is pretty good against SK axemen. Renew is nice with Tibor. Tried the same thing but dropped it later on. Could still work. Not sure about the bear, never used them much. Assire is nice but you don't have Roach or anything that you can consistently bring back. You can use it to drisrupt your enemy but he has to be milled out of everything else, so you might want to consider something else. Cantarella, perhaps?

I get you. NG is not that good of a faction, what with all the weather spam and autopilot decks. But you can still get somewhere, you just need a bit of experimentation to see what works for you.

Snake_Foxhounder;n8969880 said:
Not sure about the bear, never used them much.

I use bear to consume used medic or to consume very weakened card. And later to revive bear in last round if possible. It works as counter as well. It helped me many times before "bad luck". Already removed two knights. Having one sometimes is good if there's not bear to revive and need some points fast. Now I added some more weather cards and it seems to work better. Love to demote gold cards in one line and apply some frost.

Drop the 10 knights, they'll screw you with weather along with being in 1st position with your Impera Brigade.
You need standard bearers. They're 100% mandatory. I'd put in two.

I'd drop the bear, and add two engineers. The ability to add Resilience to any beefed up units you have makes a HUUUUUGE difference. Even if you just nab a 6 catapult with Resilience, it's often a game-winner. Optimally, you'll want to use it on the unit that gets summoned by Joachim or beefed by Ambassador.

Renew is also questionable. Geralt:Igni works well against SK players as they usually carry more than 20 in a row in rounds 2 or 3. But, he's situational, so it's up to you. I've used Letho in spy mode, bombed him, then used Igni to destroy him. Upset people... rofl

You might even drop down to 2 Catapults and add another Medic or even a Spy. Never had much mileage to absolutely utilize 3 of them.

Auckes is a must. I can't see playing NF without him.

I also prefer Emhyr Var Emreis for leader. The bounce is priceless, especially if you're playing against SK and bounce your Medic for round 2. Remember, you can bounce a card and play a different one if you choose. If you go with Emhyr, you can drop Decoy and slot in Auckes. You could also drop bomb and go with Shackles (bronze) to free up a Silver.

I even like Golem. It's a 10 power meat monster that denies opponents cards in rounds 2 and 3. If they mulligan those cards back, it later screws with any Rally that they cast.

Last edited:
Haven't tried weather with anything, except using it a few times with Vanhemar. I dropped the knights because they always reveal something I don't want, the bastards. Have you thought about Alba Pikemen? Low strength (5) so they can be killed easily, but they're good for deck thining and tempo.

My deck is similar to yours and it works, for now. Though I mostly play casual, so there's that. NG just dropped off the ladder so good luck. I'm in the same mess.

You could also go with Cantarella/Ceallach combo, but it's two valuable Silver spots.

Fringilla is also useful for eliminating buff cards like Morkvarg. Set it's power to one, then it's gone for rounds 2 and 3 and your opponent wasted a bunch of cards buffing it for no reason. Oh, and FYI - a unit that has 0 power will be removed from the GY. So in the case of Morkvarg, if you set it's power to 3 or less and kill it, it's gone for good. No reviving it!

There's a ton of options for NG, you've just got to explore them.

Last edited:
If you have trouble with weather then include more clear skies. That leader ability and the gold that lets you do it again should allow you to find clear when you need.

Personally though i dont really worry about weather much. It looks to me your deck is a little short on spells. Spells can buy you time without having to put non gold strength on the board. One way to combat weather is to just not create ideal situations for it. Thats usually my strat against it. As opposed to overloading with clear skies.

samsunaq;n8969890 said:
Mill all your NG cards and craft a Skellige deck

I don't like this advice. People do this and then in the future when NG is strong again and they want to play it they can't. I recommend to all players to never mill factions like that. Just keep gaining cards and eventually you can play something that you like in every faction which will keep you interested in the game longer.

StrykerxS77x;n8971210 said:
I don't like this advice. People do this and then in the future when NG is strong again and they want to play it they can't. I recommend to all players to never mill factions like that. Just keep gaining cards and eventually you can play something that you like in every faction which will keep you interested in the game longer.

This! Even though Tibor and Cirir were nerfed, I wish I had never milled them...... I still see them in games and they still look good to use.

samsunaq;n8969890 said:
Mill all your NG cards and craft a Skellige deck

I agree with those who have already spoken - that advice is crazy talk.

I am not trying to brag but I own every card (not animated) and I could easily mill a set and make my more used decks animated – but what would be the point? I bounce between decks so I don’t get bored playing the same one AND understand what all the cards do and know how to react when it is played in game.

I highly recommend Treason. Love this card to pieces. Just a few minutes ago, I used this card and turned the tide of the game. I ended up in a game with a douche bag booster axe person. I used Treason and got their White Frost card. Played it. And you could see my opponent panicking. They had ZERO clear weather cards. Because most booster decks (as most of you know) assume they will win thus needing such cards to them is pointless. Anyways….

So, they were trying to play through their own Frost. They failed and ending up getting so pissed they forfeited the game. Yep. I love sweet Karma. (Tents fingers and chuckles all evil like). Oh Treason card how I love thee.

You are losing because of weather and only have 2 units to clear, other one being clear sky that adds 0 tempo? I wonder why you aren't winning.

IMO you probably could switch out 1-2 rot tossers for something else, 95% of the time I use carcasses they are used to boost the enemy in some way like with consume or Vilgefortzing it, or they get thrown back at me in which case I promptly have to waste Auckes on it. Some medics against monster and Skellige spam is probably the best idea.

No Title

Nilfgaard has become the red headed step child that no one wanted. Seriously if they don't fix this ima throw a hissy fit

Attachments

• photo154180.jpg
    photo154180.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 70
nilfgaardsucks;n8998000 said:
Nilfgaard has become the red headed step child that no one wanted.

It really hasn't. Right now there's no doubt that Skellige is pretty OP but I don't think Nilfgaard is really at any particular disadvantage compared to the rest of the factions. It can still compete just fine with anything ST or NR and most Monsters (Frost decks being the exception but again, that is more about frost being OP than anything else). And in fact, I'd argue Nilfgaard may well match up better against Skellige than other factions because of Aukes double lock and Letho's banishing ability.

I have been using NG since I began playing three days ago and it may seem as if other factions are overpowered but a good strategy with NG will leave your opponents wondering how you manage to beat them. I've seen the way players freak out when they bombard my side of the board with weather effects thinking they've got the upper hand even when I don't have a clear weather card in my hand. I manage to win rounds even against odds that seem irredeemable. As a LV 10, I'm stomping LV10s-17s (of all factions) and enjoying it.(Not that LV matters, It's your deck and strategy that wins the day) I don't use most of the cards the other replies suggest and most of them say to do away with the ones that offer the largest advantages which I find quite odd...

The key to a good deck is units that work hand-in-hand with one another. Even the simplest units can be quite useful when you consider what the unit offers another in terms of functionality.

I certainly agree with aurubino99 in that the default leader for NG is priceless.

I have three rot tossers in my deck that serve several purposes.

Bears are very useful when your opponent works a unit's power down to nearly dead or using several bears in unison with Letho of gullet. Boosted bears with resilience gives you the upper hand in the next round and if you win the first round, you've pretty much got victory in the bag.

Avoid using cards that reveal your own. You should have three frontline cards in your deck, preferably with shield, to place a first card for the round or defend a first attack before promoting them with Letho.

All of my silver cards summon except for one which I reserve for a second tier advantage/attack card.

I completed all single player challenges and milled the leader cards to create a worthy deck though. Some may believe it's a mistake but after completing my deck, it is not I who is complaining...This is my first time visiting the forums and I was quite surprised to see that almost everyone believes NG to be inferior. I can assure you IT IS NOT.

Last edited:
Doesn't milling all of the leaders seem kind of extreme? If you are confident your won't use them, then fine. But you must have been pretty desperate for the scraps...

grishhammer;n9040660 said:
Doesn't milling all of the leaders seem kind of extreme? If you are confident your won't use them, then fine. But you must have been pretty desperate for the scraps...

I only play NG with the spy leader, so I don't bother with the others and will mill them all.

My gut always tells me to have minimum 2 if not 3 clear skies. Best have them and use them as reinforcements then not and get owned by weather.
You can take a risk and not use clear sky right away to see if your opponent will put a weather affect on another row and clear 2 rows with 1 card. Risky depending on the number of units on said row and type of weather.

Top Bottom