Cantarella is OP !

+
Cantarella is OP !

whis is she only 11points and buffs imperas. i hate when i lose coin flip against NG because they use her + menoo instanlly :mean:
it should be 13 points at least

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
All faction spies have synergy with there respective factions. Cantarella is just more popular because the spy deck is more popular and incidentally because it has more variation (e.g. using Menno). Is she strong? Yes, together with ST they have the strongest agents. The Monsters one is pretty decent and NR and SK are somewhat weaker. Even so, I wouldn't call her OP. Nowadays players are too quick to claim something to be OP that the definition has almost lost all meaning.

Not to mention that if Canterella is played on the very first turn, you can do one of two things:

1. Pass. Force the enemy to play a card to counter Canterella, and basically spend the card advantage they just got. If it was Menno, that means you won't have to deal with Menno later when you've superbuffed something. In fact, the only things they can play that result in gaining round victory in 1 card reliably are Menno and vanilla Geralt; anything else requires at least 2 cards to counter Canterella's strength (can't use Tibor when you've passed already, spending Joachim round 1 may yield you a medic or something else not entirely useful).

2. Decoy Canterella back. Game proceeds as normal. Maybe even throw your spy in the mix just to close out the round if they play a card. Or if Emhyr, just bring Canterella into your hand for use later.

thalnor;n9658511 said:
Not to mention that if Canterella is played on the very first turn, you can do one of two things:

1. Pass. Force the enemy to play a card to counter Canterella, and basically spend the card advantage they just got. If it was Menno, that means you won't have to deal with Menno later when you've superbuffed something. In fact, the only things they can play that result in gaining round victory in 1 card reliably are Menno and vanilla Geralt; anything else requires at least 2 cards to counter Canterella's strength (can't use Tibor when you've passed already, spending Joachim round 1 may yield you a medic or something else not entirely useful).

See and I play a NG that wins in the last 2 rounds, and the first round I always end up passing to keep hand advantage. And forcing someone to either use a lock on Canterella. I don't mind losing 1st round to come back with hand, reveal, and deck advantage because I have setup all my draws in an appropriate way that I know what I am drawing next turn.

Other factions can use Eskel for example to destroy the CA spy. NR also has light cavalry which synergizes well with Thaler...
Overall, it has become risky to pass after a spy was played, no matter who is the opponent. That's why I don't worry that much about Menno or other NG synergies.

Anyhow, I'd prefer CA spies of all faction to be equal but that is be difficult to achieve without removing unique abilities.

devivre;n9659101 said:
Other factions can use Eskel for example to destroy the CA spy. NR also has light cavalry which synergizes well with Thaler...
Overall, it has become risky to pass after a spy was played, no matter who is the opponent. That's why I don't worry that much about Menno or other NG synergies.

Anyhow, I'd prefer CA spies of all faction to be equal but that is be difficult to achieve without removing unique abilities.

Which, similarly, is an Eskel you don't have to worry about later when you're prepping for your combo. Some decks want to go first in the last round anyways, by virtue of getting time to set up (Farseers for Spelltael, for example).

partci

Forum veteran
As a NG player myself, I think that Cantarella definitely needs nerfing - you can't have her be 11 with synergy with so many units of her own faction and the ST, SK and MS spies to be at 12 STR. It's preposterous.

Not to mention that this spies archetype I find as one of the biggest problems, tied down with the Coin Flip.

Well same opinion here about cantarella. Since I'm a dedicated NR player ( because somehow all of my gold card are NR ) i can't help myself to compare Thaler and Cantarella. It seems like Thaler was a neutral spy CA card that was used as a base for all faction spy since he is just a plain spy with no synergy and unique ability. The only Thaler synergy is Light cavalry which was shit if compared to Cantarella huge amount of synergy.

But maybe it's CDPR way of having a flavor to the game perhaps? Like the whole NG archetype was based of intrigue and spy and other shameful tactic so it makes sense for them to have the best CA spy. But for faction like NR that has retarded spy if compared to all other faction there's no one that could match NR in spamming the board with strong unit and bringing out all of your unit from your deck + the only faction that could play with 40 card deck. So yeah I don't really mind having NG as a strong spy faction with the most OP CA spy since most of their bronze card are kinda mediocre if compared to NR bronze cards.

@quantum_number

@Theodrik

I am saying that I am all for the idea your Big Spy to be available for the player if he lost the Coin Flip and is at a card disadvantage at R2.

And that it is still ridiculous that the NG Big Spy is on the lower tier of strength of Big Spies in the game.

If Cantarella is OP, how should we call Dijksta, pulling out TWO damn buffed ultra-synergised bronzes for 20-25+ points total?

Djikstra depends on how you thin your deck so the draw is consistent. If not he was the closest thing to RNG in Gwent. Like seriously sometimes he went on and give me 90 power swing ( Witch Hunter into 3 28 power Farseer + Redanian Knight ) or give me -13 value ( Thaler + Scout with nothing to target ). That is random and meanwhile cantarella is the most consistent spy with pretty nice ability + impera dudes value.

If i could swap djiktra with cantarella then I will be happy to do so since consistency is the best value.

Top Bottom