Cantarella/ "single use" of spys

+
Im really triggered about something that just happened, enough to jump on and post about it.. just played against NG soldiers. he spied early, and on round 3 his first play was assire-canta into my deck.

Spy cards say "single use" not "faction exclusive", and I had yet to throw down my Yeavin. when I ADC into 50/50 on canta she does not draw a card... i can only assume this is working as intended... but how can this be right? people complain a lot about how good it is to shuffle back a spy, but it only seems stupid as Fuck to me that the spy doesn't even work. what if an armor deck (or any deck that doesn't run spy) pulled it to find his vincent/whatever win con ADC was for? free loss if the canta does nothing/ fighting chance if it draws for your Win con.

thankfully eithne just scorched away both spies for me, but it still cost me aglais for ADC2 and almost the game. but still who's bright idea was it to make spies faction exclusive, assuming an NG player would be able to play the enemies canta?

Working as intended.

Shuffling back spies refers, as far as I know, to spies in opponent's graveyard.
It's good to shuffle back a spy precisely because the spy will not work for a second time, giving the opponent a possible -11 point play -- or -13 points if they pull the dead spy with ADC.

This is an example of how a change that fixes one big issue ("spy abuse" as it was called) can create entirely new strategies -- or problems, depending on one's viewpoint.

Personally I agree. There are quite a few issues with this combo. You can't really counter it and yeah, basically a silver card like ADC becomes unplayable. Also if you play the same faction you can't even tell which Cantarella is the right one.

It definitely works as intended but it's something I hope that Homecoming will change. I don't think it's healthy right now.

You can tell which one is working by the timer, and how to prevent drawing it ? If you draw the spy, mulligan it, if you draw something else, dont mulligan because you could get the dead spy.

I'm glad someone brought this up. There is an issue that has been overlooked since forever by the game devs, concerning Assire.

Mean to say, that if you are playing, for example, a mirror game, you can't distinguish you cards from the opponent one int he GY. Seem unbelievable that after such a long beta isn't addressed yet.

Mean to say, that if you are playing, for example, a mirror game, you can't distinguish you cards from the opponent one int he GY. Seem unbelievable that after such a long beta isn't addressed yet.

There is already a lengthy topic about this. Anyhow, you can see the difference by hovering over the card in the graveyard. Your cards have a blue glowing border, your opponent's cards have a red one.

There is already a lengthy topic about this. Anyhow, you can see the difference by hovering over the card in the graveyard. Your cards have a blue glowing border, your opponent's cards have a red one.
Thanks for the hint. The glow anyway is not exactly easy to spot. I mean, the glow should be there without hovering the card, so it is easy to spot your cards.

If you add the fact that your mind is also busy deciding what cards to shuffle in relatively short time, it is sort of problematic.

I guess veterans of NG has mastered the "eye", but for casual NG play it needs be improved the visual effect in my opinion.

Last edited:
Thanks for the hint. The glow anyway is not exactly easy to spot. I mean, the glow should be there without hovering the card, so it is easy to spot your cards.

Well, yeah, it should be easier to see which card belongs in which graveyard.

I guess my point is, why shouldn't your enemies spy card work for you if you have yet to spy? why disable its ability if its still the first one played?
"single use" implies that it shouldn't matter which spy triggers the single use.

I should'nt have to Blow my aglais just to find my spy!!!

"single use" implies that it shouldn't matter which spy triggers the single use.

The single-use is tied to the card itself, so once your opponent plays Cantarella, her single-use is used up.
If you then later get her either from draws or with ADC/other tutor, she will not work for you because it's the same copy of Cantarella that was already played.

Your Yaevinn will still work fine at this point, because his single-use has not been used up.

Top Bottom