Car dashboard and camera height in the first person.

+

Do you enjoy the first person car camera height?

• Total voters
Considering how the first person view is a major gameplay focus, it feels a weird choice to block half of the screen with something you don't even look at when driving around.

A couple of examples

Alvardo "Vato"
dashboard.png

Type-66 "Javelina"
dashboard2.png

There are some exceptions to this.

Porsche 911, Magigai Maimai, Mahir Motors Supron, Archer Quarz, Thortorn Galena, Chevilon Emperor and Villefort Columbus IIRC. Perhaps Thornton Colby too.

Archer Hella was borderline case for me and some others, but a lot of cars it's like we are somehow shrunk when we step in. Villefort Alvarado V4F 570 Delegate is really awful in this regard.

Last edited:
I have no idea how anyone manages to drive in first person.

They (CDPR) seem to think it replicates real life immersion and it doesn't. It's doesn't come anywhere close.

Last edited:
I have no idea how anyone manages to drive in first person.

They seem to think it replicates real life immersion and it doesn't. It's doesn't come anywhere close.
This thread is not about players' preference over first- or third person camera, nor it is about reasons behind those choices - be it immersion or any other.

This thread is about the first person camera view in vehicles - a gameplay element - and how CDPR chose to implement it in the game.

This thread is about a first person camera view in vehicles - a gameplay element - and how CDPR chose to implement it in the game.
What I said didn't contradict that. When I said they, I meant CDPR... I should've specified that, probably.

first person camera in general makes it seem like V is 5'6 when he is probably more like 5'10. This is especially noticeable when sitting down in the backseat with DEX, where his face lines up with the front seats headrest while yours line up with the touchscreen :facepalm:. They really just need to move it up and it would look way better both in vehicles and walking around.

Right now V is watching the world through his/her mouth... You can see it when looking at something and then switching to photomode to see the same height. Apparently it's made so we won't look at our own nose and cheeks, because most probably V doesn't bow his/her head to look down. So this makes 6-9 cm difference, whisch is pretty significant.

The problem isn't the camera height, 1st person driving will always be shit because your monitor does not have dilating pupils. It's the same reason why iron sights will always look obnoxious.

I feel like First Person View in vehicles is intended for the "aweness factor" only (the interiors are very detailed and great looking), but it's quite unplayable for me. You literally can't see a thing, it's like driving without peripheral vision and without a seat. Then again, i prefer Third Person View in nearly every game when it comes to driving, with the exception of racing games.

I feel like First Person View in vehicles is intended for the "aweness factor" only (the interiors are very detailed and great looking), but it's quite unplayable for me. You literally can't see a thing, it's like driving without peripheral vision and without a seat. Then again, i prefer Third Person View in nearly every game when it comes to driving, with the exception of racing games.

Even if the view was form higher up, it wouldn't matter. I'm a short dude and my friend had this old 70s LOW muscle car, I could barely see over the steering wheel and it was still easier to drive.

In GTA 5 the view is much higher up and it's still impossible to drive properly.

Last edited:
I agree with the camera height issue. I usually like first person driving cameras in games, and would totally use it in Cyberpunk, but with the camera as low as it is I can barely see traffic in front of me clearly so just run third person the whole time.

Considering how the first person view is a major gameplay focus, it feels a weird choice to block half of the screen with something you don't even look at when driving around.

A couple of examples

Alvardo "Vato"
View attachment 11173769

Type-66 "Javelina"
View attachment 11173793

if you look at V in the car in third person ( spin the camera to the side of the car) his/her eye line doesn't come close to matching what you experience in 1st person ( height is way to low and your not positioned that far forward either)...sad really first person graphics are beautiful and I like the car response and stability better in first person ..not to mention the immersion compared to driving your car via the drone chasing it....( nothing against people who prefer it )

there's no reason for vehicle camera to not be adjustable on PC. Simulator games allow players to adjust the "seat" (aka camera) with numpad. There's a mod that lets you do this.
also another horrible thing about driving in FPV is the lack of ability to look behind you/in the mirror. It's 2021 and mirrors should be at least an option for PC players. And if not they should let you just activate "mirror" camera, like in GTA V.

there's no reason for vehicle camera to not be adjustable on PC. Simulator games allow players to adjust the "seat" (aka camera) with numpad. There's a mod that lets you do this.
also another horrible thing about driving in FPV is the lack of ability to look behind you/in the mirror. It's 2021 and mirrors should be at least an option for PC players. And if not they should let you just activate "mirror" camera, like in GTA V.
I agree, the high tech world of CP ....you can see the cameras on the cars that should be used for the field of vision "mirrors"....Koenigsegg actually has this tech. in a road car right now....

Here`s an idea for CDPR to consider, since the inside of each car is a piece of art we want to look at, why not have the camera zoom in when we step the pedal, displaying more of the road while driving, while if when we brake/stop the camera would zoom out to its current state

Top Bottom