Card Art easter-eggs and interesting details

+
Letho hiding behind the window in King Demavend's Premium Card.
IMG_20200719_113244.jpg

The only one I remember was from years ago on the Birna Bran premium card - if you looked at it for ages, a newspaper would flutter past (if I remember correctly).

No idea if it's still in the game, though it did make me chuckle at the time.

No one mentioned Priscilla yet? After a while, the beat really drops and the party's going wild.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
Here is an album with videos about easter eggs:
Cards: Birna Bran, Priscilla, Travelling Merchant, Whoreson's Freakshow, Winch, Dimun Pirate Captain, Johnny, Whispess: Tribute.

All credits to the creators of this album

And the old Reinforcements card had a giant soldier walking by with the other soldiers...I don't know, if it still exists:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/8c6lly

I just noticed the Traveling Merchant one today, and I decided to find out what the BSOD message in it says. Turned out to be this:
1600089654995.png
except on the first line, instead of Windows it says Gwentows. Well played, CDPR, well played. :ROFLMAO: (y)

PS. The premium card in question is included in the Imgur folder @bojerbela posted above.

Last edited:

rrc

Forum veteran
I just noticed the Traveling Merchant one today, and I decided to find out what the BSOD message in it says. Turned out to be this:
except on the first line, instead of Windows it says Gwentows. Well played, CDPR, well played. :ROFLMAO: (y)
I am sorry, but I didn't understand this. Where does a BSOD message come in Traveling Merchant? Does this come as part of the premium card? The image you shared doesn't have Gwentows?

Count Caldwell's dog actually starts peeing on him if you look at the card for long enough in the premium version! xD

Last edited:
These are all amazing. And well done to both the spotters and the artists.
I'll have a look at all the art myself and see if I can find anything interesting.
The Smuggle card's Gaunter - I mean talk about hidden in plain sight.
I mean there's only two characters in that card - three if you count the cadaver.
And I never spotted who the second one was!
Post automatically merged:

I don't know if any of these really count as easter eggs; they're probably more just general design features but here's some things I've noticed when properly looking at the cards. Let's just call them neat little details rather than full easter eggs for fairness:

Neutral Cards:
- In Shupe's Day's Off, Shupe is surrounded by four Rarogs CDPR's mascots.
- Oneiromancy is either a reference to or inspired by the M.C. Escher's painting Relativity or other similar art inspired by the original painting. In the non-premium version you can small versions of the dreamer's figure appear at odd angles as well as the houses starting up from different planes.
- Ale of Ancestors - I suspect the flavor text of this card refers to the The Ring of the Nibelung - Wagner's saga based on the Song of the Nibelungs german epic poem from the middle ages. I'd need someone to verify this. But a big part of that is Golden Ring lost by some dwarves. This would seem to be a joking reference to that however as there the ring got lost is some highly epic circumstances (presumably, I never listened to the opera), here the circumstances were anything but.
- Portal - the flavor text is a reference to Geralt hating portals.
- Sihil - the sword stuck in ice is similar to King Arthur's sword stuck in the stone (not the sword name you're thinking of, that was another one) - in fact the premium version has the audio of someone struggling to pull it out and then being very proud of themselves when they do.
- Phoenix - if you look closely the Pheonix shown on the card has a tiny Pheonix hatchling contained within its fiery chest. The black things shown in the Pheonix Hatchling card are actually an adult Pheonix's ribs. I... don't feel good about that. Sorry for bringing people's attention to it.
- Gaunter O'Dimm - the balancing of the spoon has to be a reference to something but I don't recall what. Someone can expand on this hopefully
- Germain Piquant - the flavour text is a paraphrasing of a well known line from one of the Batman movies - not the hero Gotham deserves but the one it needs. The word Piquant also means spicy, so maybe this is a joke about flavor texts as well?
- Maraal - the flavor text is a spin on the tales of a thousand and one nights.
- Commander's Horn - the flavor text is a joking reference to rpg games.
- Caretaker - the flavor text is a paraphrasing of a well known line from Hamlet.
- Gregoire the Gorgon - the name and text are references to Gregor Clegane known as the Mountain, a character from Game of Thrones
- Roach - if it needs saying at this point - is a reference to some notable bugs in the first Witcher game, the text comes from one of the expansions.
- Bekker's Dark Mirror - the text is a paraphrasing of a well known phrase regarding abyss-watching.
- Saer Qu'an - the name is a play on Shere Khan, the tiger from the Jungle Book, which has gotten a taste for human flesh just as the flavor text mentions
- Siegfried of Desesle - as mentioned above Geralt's head does make an appearance but it's worth taking a look at the premium version to see how it does so.
- Petri's Philter - the flavor text sounds similar to something you'd find in Terry Pratchett books. This needs verification though.
- Tempest - the flavor text is probably a reference to the Polish sea shanty song "10 w skali Beuforta" (10 on the Baufort scale). It's one of those reference just for Poles. If you're from Poland and are a certain age you might know this, if you are not you might not.
- Scepter of Storms - the flavor text is a reference to a South Park game.
- Johnny - in the back of the picture you can see Ciri. This is more clear in the premium version, where you can see her disappear into one of her portals.
- Elder Bear - the text is a reference to the children's book - We're going on a Bear Hunt. In 2014 this book "was the subject of a Guinness World Record for "Largest Reading Lesson" with a book-reading attended by 1,500 children, and an additional 30,000 listeners online" (wikipedia). I don't recall if this card was always part of Gwent or if it got added later on but it stands to reason the text might have been added as a reference to this at the time recent record.
- Armorer's Workshop - this is really pushing it but it's... perhaps a reference to Don Quixote using a bowl for a helmet... maybe? ESO's Sir Cadwell does actually have a pot for a helmet but that's even further off. Or it's just phrase and I've been at this for too long and I'm just seeing things.
- Pellar - the text is a reference to a well known (in Poland) Polish play called Dziady, the same sequence in it is also refered to in stylized text in the part of the Witcher 3 game where the Pellar conducts his ceremony.

That's all the references I've found in the Neutral faction cards. And that's where I'll leave it for today. Apologies for anything that's obvious and too dumb to have included. And hopefully this might be fun for someone to read. It was fun to look at the cards and seek out these details and references. And there's bound to be others I've not noticed so post away if anyone knows of anything I missed.
"References - they're fun!" - Most Rpg Games

Last edited:
  • RED Point
Reactions: rrc
Maxii Van Dekkar - the three non-crossed pictures/bounties are Idarran, Alzur and Cosimo Malaspina. :D I wonder how hunting those two (obviously she didn't get Alzur) went for her.

Last edited:
Maxii Van Dekkar - the three non-crossed pictures/bounties are Idarran, Alzur and Cosimo Malaspina. :D I wonder how hunting those two (obviously she didn't get Alzur) went for her.
Nice catch. There's also a few other faces vaguely appearing on that card but I can't make them out clearly.
I don't know where people got these large scale versions of the image but using those you may be able to make them out.
I think one of the faces on that wall might actually be Kolgrim - as the face seems to be wearing its hair up in a bun and he's the only character in the witcher setting I recall who's shown as doing that.
Although why he'd be up on Maxii's wall? Who knows. Maybe it is just an easter egg. Maybe the same artist designed both cards.
As for how well she might have done? Depends. One on one - possibly well. Although Alzur might have been a good fighter even outside of his magic. And just because magic doesn't work on her doesn't mean mages can't use it on themselves to get a lethal edge.
Plus mages tend to have enough money and influence to, say, hire a mercenary force to non-magically slash her to death.
And against Idarran with all the creatures he created... not a good prospect for her.
Post automatically merged:

The Monsters - at a quick glance there seems to be less there. But here we go anyway.

Viy - In Polish a Wij is a common name for a kind of long centipede. Which somehow manages to be more unpleasant to look at than this monster card.
Auberon King - Oberon was the king of the fairies in Shakespeare's play A Midsummer Night's Dream. Since then it's been common for the name to be used for a king of fairies elves and so on.
Koshchey - A Koschei is a figure in Russian and Slavic folklore. There it is similar to what we'd now associate with a Lich - a creature who has hidden away their soul or life force in some way and is therefore unkillable without it being found and destroyed. Spiders are not mentioned but hey it's still nice to see the name pop up.
Miruna - In real life this is a name of a fish. Not sure what the link to a succubuss is. Perhaps it requires an angler to be very strong to win a duel with it.
Ozzrel - The monster so named appears in the first Witcher game where it is an enemy you fight to fulfil a contract.
Golyat - One of the localized version of the name Goliath from the David and Goliath biblical story. Fun fact. A strap sling, or even more so a war sling is an absolutely deadly weapon so good old David was far from outmatched in that fight.
Winter Queen - a reference to the Snow Queen, a Hans Christian Andersen fable. Aside from the name the motif of shards of ice is also brough up, even more directly in the text about her in this month's reward book unlocks.
Jotunn - Jotunns were a race of frost giants in Nordic mythology.
Kikimore Worker - The premium version of the card has a cute little joke where the big insects carrying pieces of horse and solider are accompanied by ants carrying leafs. You can see this on the regular version too but it is more clear on the premium.
Phooca - A Puca or Pooka is a trickster creature in Celtic mythology, which can be either helpful or harful to people.
Alp - An Alp is a figure in German folklore. It sits on people's chests as they sleep making then unable to move. Nowadays we know that hallucinating the presence of figures in the room is a common effect of being awake during sleep paralysis.
Other mythological explanations for being unable to move while sleeping include hags, incubuses and lately aliens.
Nekker - A Nikker is a malevolent creature in Dutch mythology.
I didn't want to post every small thing but there's quite a few other monsters named after pre-existing creatures from various folklores.

Last edited:
Top Bottom