Card Interaction and Order of Operations in Resolution

+
Card Interaction and Order of Operations in Resolution

As new mechanics are added to strategy based card games there is always an importance on card interaction order.

With the release of the "Spore" mechanic, as seen in the Mushrooms card, there could be interesting interactions with cards like the "Blue Stripes Commando" and other cards with the "Muster" mechanic. In which order will the resolution occur?

If I have two Blue Stripes Commando in play they will have a power of 4 each, due to their doubling attack. If i were to play Mushrooms onto the row will i now have 16 power (2*2+ 4*2) or will the mushrooms resolve before Muster, creating 24 (2+4=6 Per unit then 6*2*2 for the units plus their muster ability)

As a comparison to why I am curious, there is a minion card in Hearthstone (Scaled Nightmare) that doubles its attack power at the beginning of each turn, starting at 2 and doubling to 4 and so on if no buffs/debuffs are played. In the event a spell is played to give extra attack the addition resolves before the doubling effect (So if +3 attack were played the card would have 10 attack at the beginning of the next turn 2+3 *2). An interaction that was noticed later is that if the attack was set to a given amount, the effect of doubling attack would no longer trigger due to the order of resolution being double the attack followed by set attack to a given number.

If we assume the mechanics will work in the same way as in the Witcher, the effect of being set to 1 attack by weather effects triggers before the calculation for doubling attack does. This could mean that the weather effects will resolve first, followed by the Muster effect. If this is the case where does the Spore effect fall?

If a weather effect triggers with priority 1, spores at 2, and muster at 3, then two Commandos plus the effects would lead to20 Combined power (1+4=5 5*2*2=20).

If the Spores has priority 1, Weather effect 2, and muster 3, then two Commandos plus the effects would lead to 4 Combined power (2+4=6, set to 1 =1, 1*2*2=4).

If the Weather effect triggers with priority 3, the attack will resolve to 2 Combined Power regardless of the other order.

Any ideas on the resolution order and interactions? Its early still to discuss mechanics, but it is an interesting topic at the very least.

I believe I spoke about this in my 'Spores Glyph' video : [video]https://youtu.be/JA1nAVABPrs[/video]

Effectively we have evidence that the order is: Weather > Abilities > Horns/Mushrooms

This is the same as Witcher 3 Gwent.
The example shown is a card is reduced to 1 Strength via weather but then taken back up to 5 Strength by the +4 of the mushroom.

So it's definitely: Weather (Right side Glyphs) > Abilities (Middle side of the Board) > Buff Glyphs (Left side Glyphs)

Thanks for the resources, I hadn't found your channel before this.

I figured it was likely that was the order, as it was the middle ground between the power levels and made sense for balancing, but I hadn't seen the gameplay yet.

I'm rather glad this was the decided method of calculation, simplicity often works.

You wouldn't happen to have any resources that depict the interaction between on board cards resolution order would you? Specifically I'm wondering about the moral boost (+1 to all in row effects) interacting with a muster effect, as which one triggers first makes a marginal difference. It should be present in the Witcher 3 Gwent via the artillery card with bond and the card with moral boost.

If there are interactions like this based in the DLC pertaining to Gwent I am entirely ignorant, I haven't had access to the DLC (or the Witcher in its entirety) since the release, and would appreciate information on it if it is relevant and isn't too much trouble to provide.

You wouldn't happen to have any resources that depict the interaction between on board cards resolution order would you? Specifically I'm wondering about the moral boost (+1 to all in row effects) interacting with a muster effect, as which one triggers first makes a marginal difference

Do you mean Morale Boost and Bond?

If so I can 100% state that Morale Boost Takes effect before Bond.

So [6 STR Bond] + [6 STR Bond] + [6 STR Morale Boost] > [7] + [7] + [6] first then > [14] + [14] + [6]

Meaning you get the most out of your strength.
I'll try to find some video evidence in Witcher 3 Gwent tomorrow, I'm sure I've used it before in one of my videos.

Yes, that situation exactly.

My apologies on my incorrect terminology, it has been a long time since I've been able to play Gwent and therefore exact names and situations are a little fuzzy in parts.

This means that cards with effects will have different priorities and therefore may lead to interesting interactions if new card effects are added. Maybe a minion will base its attack off of a given value of the game board's state when it is summoned and updating as the board state changes, or when a certain condition is met the minion would receive a boost or nerf to its power. It may end up playing off of itself or a copy of the card in a way that factors to a win condition, almost like a mechanic in magic using the card bolster.

As a friend explains it to me, Bolster gives a minion +1/+1 for each time the minion gains a +1/+1 charge. Bolster can not trigger off of its own counters, but if a second Bolster is played on a different minion they do generate charges off of one another, leading to an infinite attack and toughness value.

Obviously this would be a broken mechanic and would not be based around good design, but it is a far exaggerated example of something that could be a potential effect.

Any thoughts?

I had a game in W3.
Where I had:

[Dandelion (Commander's Horn)] on Melee Row
[Cow] on the Ranged row

And when the round ended, everything got removed and the [Bovine Defence Force] entered play on the Melee row.... But it was 16 Strength instead of 8 Strength.

Some how it took the Commander's Horn effect from previous turn and kept it for Round 2.

However, I imagine this was a bug because I later, Commander's Horned the 16 Strength Bovine and it went down to 8 Strength and back up to 16 Strength.

I think I understand what you're saying, but I think the numbers will rejigger when new cards are placed.
A Bonded 6 pair = 12 each. If you placed a Morale Boost down it will insert itself underneath the Bond in priority so you'll get 7+7 Bonded to 14 each.
I think.

I think I understand what you're saying, but I think the numbers will rejigger when new cards are placed.
A Bonded 6 pair = 12 each. If you placed a Morale Boost down it will insert itself underneath the Bond in priority so you'll get 7+7 Bonded to 14 each.
I think.

Provided that the order of priority doesn't change, it seems that the Moral Boost will still trigger before Bond, which is a powerful combination indeed.

We will have to test specific interactions (like the summoned minion off of the new Cow and card effects like commander's horn) when the game is actually playable.

It would seem that the order of resolution would be the Bovine Defence Force is played as the card is removed and Dandelion and his effect were removed at different times, likely the effect after Dandelion is removed but before the BDF. So the order ended like this(?)

Round ends, Cleanup begins>Minions are removed>Death effect triggers(Summon)> Horn effect buffs minions>Glyph effect is removed> Next round begins

If this is the case then all Death Wish effects could have bugged interactions with commanders horn or spore effects. if it hasn't been found by the developers the order may not have been changed, meaning the interaction may still be the same.

Top Bottom