Card Suggestions and Tweaks for Homecoming

+

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
A general thread to post a list of (minor) card suggestions and/or tweaks.

EDIT: Not related to specific cards, but the concept in general:

The Meaning of Rows
Give the melee row a higher risk, higher reward play and make the ranged row a safe haven for engines.

Units with Only One Row Ability
Units with only one row ability should be changed to include another (minor) ability when playing on a different row.

Equip - An Artifact Nerf Suggestion
Introducing an equip mechanic to force players to at least play a few units.

Last edited:

rrc

Forum veteran
A general thread to post a list of (minor) card suggestions and/or tweaks.
Is it possible that anyone from CDPR will see this? Or this is just for the commity to ponder? If it is the former, I will spend time and give detailed thorough response to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks for creating this thread though.. kind of Tell to a Dev?!

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
Is it possible that anyone from CDPR will see this?

CDPR does read the suggestions forum and if interesting suggestions are brought forth they can be presented to the devs in one way or another.

Cards like Paulie could probably do with a choice of an Order or a Zeal effect. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have both abilities on a one-turn cooldown.

Think it might be overly complex, but I like this

Duny - Nilgaard. Str 5, Pr 11

If damaged choose between -
Duny: Beast [Doomed] Str 7
Duny: Teleport - move card back into Deck (only if Xarthisius has been played)

Not really a suggestion but more a question: will we see more bronzes added to HC in the future that bring back old or add new archetypes? (ie. Vampires moonlight).

I feel like right now there aren't enough bronzes and we are kinda restricted.

Sorry if this is wrong place for question but the thread seemed appropriate and I didn't want to start a new thread.

Last edited:
Hey, hope CDPR devs see this too.

I had a suggestion for an improvement to Cynthia. The guardian she spawns should be 3 base strength and not 4. Also, maybe infiltrator should be 3 too.

Cheers.

Because I have started reading the books again and recently read the scene where Ciri is traped in the Korathi desert and got attacked by a sand monster, I would love to see them in Gwent:

Sand Monster
2 Strength, immune
Deploy, Melee: Apply quicksand effect to the enemy melee row. If there are enemy units in the ranged row move one to the melee row.
Quicksand effect: For 3 turns, on turn start, damage the lowest unit on the row by 1.

The quicksand effect can be removed like every other row effect (Scout, etc.) or with killing the sand monster.

But since units sadly can not apply row effects anymore, a possible version as a special card:

Sand Monster
If there are enemy units in the ranged row move one to the melee row. For 3 turns, on turn start, damage 2 lowest units on the row by 1.

Both versions of course with visual quicksand effect. :p

Xavier needs to be changed to only banish 1 card of your choice from the graveyard per turn. He's too much of an insta win button against any deck running Eist as leader or any deck utilizing cards with graveyard interaction (Freya, Sig, Renew, Blue Dream, Ghoul, Aghoul etc.). In order to make him not totally useless he can have Zeal and his effect can be an Order: Banish 1 card from either graveyard, Cooldown 1.

Hey guys, just wanted to say that Vilgefortz needs to be altered so that he can be playable again, it's almost impossible to get 10/11 value from him and considering he is an 11 provision card I think making a few minor adjustments could really help without making him overpowered. Increasing his base power from 4 to 5 and making him summon the top bronze card from the opponents deck only (just like in the beta) would make him a much more viable option. Hope someone at CDPR sees this. Thanks.

rrc

Forum veteran
Yes, we read forums regularly and we appreciate every feedback and suggestion :)
Because you promised, I spent considerable amount of time to go through every single card to come up my proposed balance patch suggestions. I sincerely hope the devs read this.

MO:
Slyzard: With a countdown of 1 and with extreme synergy with DW, 4 point 5 provision seems like costs less. 6 provision cost or reduced power to begin with.
Predatory Dive: With no condition kill the first unit played by enemy seems broken. Like WayLay (SC) but with no condition seems a bit overpowered.
Cyclops: With an awesome Removal potential and synergy with DW, it cost way less provision. Reduce the power significantly or increase the provision cost.
Nithral: 6 provision cost and 5 power artifiaact removal itself is too good. Why the damage potential? It shouldn't have that or should have increased provision cost.
Hideos Feast: 3 Point removal, 3 point boost (guaranteed 6 points play for what 6 provision?) and synergy with 'highest unit'. Provision cost should be increased by 1 or ability adjusted.
Add - Striga: Should be like do 3 damage. If controlling the highest unit, do 5 damage instead. For 9 provision cost to 5 damage with 3 point body is too weak and it will never be used.
Golyat - 10 point for 10 provision? Seriously? Even removing a 10 point card is way tougher. This should ideally be an auto-include in every MO. At least it should retain the same power as beta where every time it is damaged, it damages itself by 2.

NG:
Venedal Elite: So, he shouldn't used with Usurper? Only Voorhis can reliably use this and why would a Reveal archetype use him? Change of ability needed.
Deithwen Arbalest: This is an auto-include in every deck, no matter what is the archetype. 5 provision with guaranteed 5 points swing (with 2 point removal) with a possibity of 7 points swing and can synergise with Derelan Soldier, Sweers and Mangonel.. This should be balanced. 7 point provision or 1 point power.
Mangonel: This should be 'Whenever you Reveal an enemy card, trigger the ability'. No other bronze can get the value like this card in its state. Doing potentially +2 points each round. A 5 provision bronze shouldn't generate power swing like this one. Max +1 point per turn. So, it should only trigger the ability ONLY when an enemy card is revealed. Or if the ability should be maintained, 7 provision.
Inflitrator: It should be 3 points. 4 Points bronze is not going to be attractive enough to keep it in any deck.
Viper Witcher: If his ability should be changed (nerfed, like instead of banishing, moving to GY), the provision should also be adjusted (reduced). 6 provision for him for his ability is good.
Sweers: It should also work like (my proposed) Mangonel. Only when an enemy card is revealed its damage should increase. Even then, this card is just too damn strong (I had seen it used with 19 damage possible). No other card can do a 19 damage, let alone with 3 point body with just 8 provision cost. Any card which has removal potential should have high provision cost. This is an absolutely must fix card.
Cynthia: The (Lesser) Guardian should be 3 points. 4 point card is pretty much OK with anyone.
Letho of Gullet: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/balancing-letho.10989607/ A very interesting ability sadly currently unsable. Make him playable. One way is to balance it with my suggestion.

NR:
Kaedwini Cavalry: Absolutely useless. Who will keep the charges? He needs a totally new ability
Kaedwini Sergant: Zeal and guaranteed 5 points with a potential to boost an ally and save it and just 5 provision cost? Should be 6 Provision Cost at least, especially because it synergizes with boost-archetype.
Temerian Drummer: Giving another unit Zeal is an extremely powerful ability. First of all a bronze shouldn't be able to do it. If it must, definitely not at 6 provision cost with 4 point body. Order or not.
Thaler: I am not an NR player, but why would anyone ever keep their charges without using it? Depending on enemy charges on a single unit seems totally useless.
Ves: Petty much auto-include in any NR deck. For 8 provision, 3 power body with 4 point damage itself is good enough and on top of that, giving Zeal to another unit? Seems too much for a 8 provision card. As I said, giving Zeal can easily win a round. If giving Zeal, then it should give much less overall power swing. (Sile is 9 provision and can only do 2 and then 2. How is this even logical?)
John Natalis: Really strong gold. May be 10 provisions? At least it has row lock. But still at least 10 provisions.
Kiyan: Too easy to remove and huge provision with no initial damage potential. No one would ever use it in its current stat.

SC:
BME: 4 provision with 4 points removal seems too much (even with the condition). May be make her do 3 damage instead?
Panther: 6 Points guaranteed swing for 5 points provision. Increase provision or make it have less point body.
Ioverth: Return an allied trap to your hand, then play a different trap (or at least a random trap). Pitfall trap is very powerful and playing it twice is too powerful.

SK:
An Craite Marauder: The same as BME but with 2 point on the board? At least he should ONLY have 1 point body.
Derren: Thinning the deck by 3 is very powerful. Let alone synergizing with Discard Archetype. +1 provision or -1 power at least.
Coral: Same comment as above. Thinning the deck by 3 is very strong and amount to getting consistency. Something should be done about the discard archetype thinning to 0 cards

Neutral:
Crow's Eye: This is a joke right? Being in neutral? MO already has a 5 provision 3 point body which can do it. It needs a complete new ability or should be moved to MO. Being neutral is an insult to Gwent.
Xavier Lemmens: While GY control is necessary, banishing all the cards is well over the top. Melee: Rage - Bainsh 5 random cards from enemy GY. Ranged: Revenge - Banish 2 cards from enemy GY. [Banishing one's own GY is total joke. Your argument of using it with Ciri Nova doesn't hold good as he is not Doomed.]
Lambert SM: :( totally useless ability. Give him two different ability based on the row.
Mandarake: 8 provision cost is a bit too much. It will rarely gain 8 points
Ciri Nova: So.. if you don't draw this in the first round and have suffient special card or artiacts, this will be a brick, right? Why would anyone use it?
Post automatically merged:

Yes, we read forums regularly and we appreciate every feedback and suggestion :)
And here is my take on Leaders: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/lets-talk-about-mulligan-charges.10989811/

I have a few suggestions :
- a keyword on some meta dependent cards (like white frost) that would allow it to give a bonus if it is mulliganed (for exemple a free mulligan for this turn only)

- a neutral card that has 1 power, but becomes a 10 if the amount of provision you used is less than the ennemy. I like the idea of having more cards like this (for exemple that gains a charge that deal 1 damage to a random enemy for every provision you have used less than your opponent), because it will allow more diversity : not all decks will need to have 165 provisions to be competitive.

- an order ability with that allow you to play cards from your hand and then draw cards (for combos). Maybe uses charges but like margarita, it needs more than one charge to be activated, because it is very strong.

- a monster card that creates a token in the graveyard each time an ally is destroyed. The token gains 1 power for each of its copies in the graveyard and spawns an arachas when it is banished. It cannot leave the graveyard.

@rrc Pretty boss list of changes which I 95% agree with. Awesome post RRC!

-Pit trap is pretty powerful but there are some negatives to Iorveths interaction with this card. Mainly that you need more traps in your deck an there is the tempo hit to consider. Doesn't seem to be all over the meta. Pit trap is still a card for a card that your opponent has some say over what they loose.

-Crow's Eye. I like the way it was working in Beta. How about; "Do 2 damage to the highest unit on each row. +1 for each copy in the graveyard. When you play this spell create a copy of it in your deck."?

-Temerian Drummer. You could change this so that it only works with Bronze cards, reduce its provision cost. I like how this promotes the difficult to play machine archetype.

-Ves. I like Ves's power level, she is easy to remove and should be a stand out character.

-Craite Marauder. Not sure about this, feels ok to me as it currently stands.....but I do like SK discard mechanics.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
Haven't played much of this new gwent, but 3 strong negatives (card design-wise) I've noticed...

- The witchers trio should have higher provisions cost, not because they're OP or something, but for the good of the game... New gwent has made thinning and tempo very costly, almost punishing, but not with these cards and they're everywhere. It's boring to face the same neutral golds in every deck out there... Maybe this would motivate ppl to build their decks in a more creative way.

- Like Thronebreaker, there should be a limit to the number of artifacts you can use in your deck. Although, the recent hotfix seems to have solved this disgusting no-units decks bs for now.

- As a hardcore Scoia player I'm rolling my eyes with the new card design for most of its golds. Especially the new Zoltan, Iorveth, Isengrim, Aglais, Saskia... Seriously, how can you treat the most iconic gold cards of a faction like that???

Last edited:
I had a small suggestion/question regarding 'reinforced trebuchets'. I recently saw it being played and saw it still has the ability it had in beta. Which is fine, I think its a very decent card to have in the game, but I felt it is a bit overpowered, or maybe underpriced. For 6 provisions it gives you a 4 point body that pings once every turn, 5 points instantly and then 1 point every turn unless your opponent removes/locks it. It demands removal or easily gets 12-14 value in a long round. And although I am a fan of the general idea of engines that get points over time I feel this might be a bit too much. I think maybe it should be reduced to a 2/3 strength body or have its price upped to 7/8. Using 4 removal on one unit is basically committing one of the few 'big removals' a player has in a round. Almost any bronze can deal 2-3 damage and remove things. But 4 and above is a serious commitment which means it requires a player to use a card for 4 points that might have cost them (provision wise) a lot more in many cases. Maybe I am wrong but I just want to know what cards with ceiling-less abilities are being valued at, just 1 more provision more than its immediate value can't be right.

Cheers.

had a small suggestion/question regarding 'reinforced trebuchets'. I recently saw it being played and saw it still has the ability it had in beta. Which is fine, I think its a very decent card to have in the game, but I felt it is a bit overpowered, or maybe underpriced. For 6 provisions it gives you a 4 point body that pings once every turn, 5 points instantly and then 1 point every turn unless your opponent removes/locks it. It demands removal or easily gets 12-14 value in a long round. And although I am a fan of the general idea of engines that get points over time I feel this might be a bit too much. I think maybe it should be reduced to a 2/3 strength body or have its price upped to 7/8. Using 4 removal on one unit is basically committing one of the few 'big removals' a player has in a round. Almost any bronze can deal 2-3 damage and remove things. But 4 and above is a serious commitment which means it requires a player to use a card for 4 points that might have cost them (provision wise) a lot more in many cases. Maybe I am wrong but I just want to know what cards with ceiling-less abilities are being valued at, just 1 more provision more than its immediate value can't be right.
There are two other possibilities to counter it. Not playing cards on the own ranged row, or moving the Trebuchet to the melee row.

Top Bottom