Cards I Dislike

+
After playing for two months now, I've grown to dislike two similar cards a lot.

1. Predatory Dive - Explanation: If you go first, your opponent can use this card to destroy anything that you play. For 5 provisions, your opponent can destroy any engine and even an immune unit. The card should only work when the other player has a unit on their side as well. It punishes you for going first.
  2. Waylay - This card is almost the same thing. I don't dislike it as much because ST already sucks. It suffers from the same problem though. It's like a one way Scorch. Yeah, it's random but due to the crazy amount of control in the game, you can pretty much make it target what you want.
  3. Bonus - Nilfgaardian Knight is in no way as strong as those cards but the fact that it can be 6 points for 5 provisions just because you go first is stupid.
That's it actually. I feel like the game is definitely going in the right direction. Hopefully CDPR pumps out more balance updates.

I really dislike all of those cards too, as they are too binary and unavoidable in my opinion. Of course the player can play a sacrifical unit first, but having to expect that your first unit played in a round dies anyway isn't such a good gameplay in my opinion.
Other cards of the same category are Geralt, and Geralt:professional. The main problem I have with Geralt is that engine+Tactical Advantage is already enough to trigger him, such that he can completly annihilate Tactical Advantage for the player going first and thus generate card advantage in most cases. My solution would be to raise the condition but let him deal half their current points as damage to all other cards.
The problem I have with Geralt:professional is that there is hardly any way for the enemy to play around it, if the player has boost/damage pings, as the distance of every number and a multiple of 3 is just 1 at max.
My suggestion would be: Melee, Order: Damage an enemy which power is an multiple of this cards power by the power of this card. Zeal. Cooldown: 1
It would still play around the same principle of having the points of the enemy being a multiple, but it is a lot easier to play around.

Another thing I really dislike is Foltest+golden removals. Against a Foltest deck you already know that none of your key cards will stay alife, no matter what you do. If they have less power than 8 Seltkirk will easily take them down or even Ves if they are 4 or less. And if your key units have more or equal to 8 power, there can be a Gaunter, or an Eyck.
And if you run a deck with synergies, at that point you already have lost. I honestly find no other deck as frustrating as Foltest.
Though I wouldn't change those cards themselves, because they are all fine on their own. The problem is that Foltest, which by design should be a leader to protect engines and enable them, is hardly ever used on engines at all. So in my opinion, Foltest should be changed to only work on bronze units, but in exchange, he should boost by 2.
I also think, that such a change to Foltest is better for card design in a long run, as every NR and neutral card with an Order ability has to be balanced for Foltest.

M3e0w

Forum regular
Predatory Dive - Explanation: If you go first, your opponent can use this card to destroy anything that you play. For 5 provisions, your opponent can destroy any engine and even an immune unit. The card should only work when the other player has a unit on their side as well. It punishes you for going first.

I only agree on this, waylay is just random and 6points for 5 provisions is way down the pecking order of good units.

Predatory dive however you can't play around. If your opponent doesn't use it sooner it can always just use gernichora ping.
+ if you play a weak unit 1st to play around it that helps the wild hunt units. So MO can basically cancer* you no matter what you do.

Though I don't think predatory dive is OP, just annoying.

*It's a perfectly apt description.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I understand these complaints, but i feel these cards are necessary for the game, mostly as a counter to immune and big units.

For the record, im a big user of Predatory Dive and immune units, so i think i have a good grasp of both sides of the discussion.

Predatory Dive is great to punish big monster users who try to get CA with R2, i lost count of how many idiots i burned this way.

Also, makes Eredin decks think twice on opening R3 with an immune Avallach/ Sabbath / whatever, but you can play around it - a smart player i faced a couple of days ago, used a Kelltullis deck, but was smart and used a werewolf first as bait before super boosting and immunizing Kelltullis, so my Predatory dive didnt destroyed it (i still won because i was using a DW deck)

Another example is what i use - a Caranthir on Yen Conjurer as opener, then Immune Yen Con, so she's 4pt immune and caranthir is 3pt, so the yen con is safe from predatory dive.

Same thing with Marauder - its a bit OP, but keeps players on edge when facing SK and going first, if you play Milva or a 4pt (or 5pt if against Crach) engine as starter, you know its probably going down, so you have to play around that.

Count Caldwell should be on the list as well (aside from a lot useless cards like Dandelion Vainglory, Lambert SM etc.)
10 strength for 8 provisions is a auto-include in all tall unit decks or as finisher so he can't swap.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I think Count Caldwell is interesting, but its probably the most unpredictable unit in the game right now, and to be fair it should NOT count itself.

And ofc, Monsters can exploit the card so it becomes OP, on the other factions its well balanced.

After playing for two months now, I've grown to dislike two similar cards a lot.

1. Predatory Dive - Explanation: If you go first, your opponent can use this card to destroy anything that you play. For 5 provisions, your opponent can destroy any engine and even an immune unit. The card should only work when the other player has a unit on their side as well. It punishes you for going first.
  2. Waylay - This card is almost the same thing. I don't dislike it as much because ST already sucks. It suffers from the same problem though. It's like a one way Scorch. Yeah, it's random but due to the crazy amount of control in the game, you can pretty much make it target what you want.
  3. Bonus - Nilfgaardian Knight is in no way as strong as those cards but the fact that it can be 6 points for 5 provisions just because you go first is stupid.
That's it actually. I feel like the game is definitely going in the right direction. Hopefully CDPR pumps out more balance updates.
The 1st two need to be looked.I
If you don't commit unit , you will be overwhelmed by tempo , if you commit - you lose cards / points.
I know that most of the people (and mostly the ones with low skill or xp) will say - use your bad cards at start ...
Well it's not that easy and if we count traps and other damage and lock cards ... it's basically a a non-professional and stale game experience.
There is a Topic in which i've mentioned what types of cards and mechanics i don't like.

Traheaern. Seriously, fuck this card. You get to see the three top decks, which gives you information. It tells you what the other player will be drawing into and, potentially, what their deck build is based upon (provided you didn't know already). On top of this you get to discard one of the three cards. It only costs 7p and has a 4 body. Even if you toss a bronze card it's not expensive and likely will break even with the cost. Worst case you find 3 bad cards and opt not to throw one of them away. Best case you can remove a key card and possibly win the game because of it. There is nearly no skill element involved beyond, ideally, playing it after the opponent thins the deck. It tops my list of worst cards in the game right now. It's not even close either.

Count Caldwell should be on the list as well (aside from a lot useless cards like Dandelion Vainglory, Lambert SM etc.)
10 strength for 8 provisions is a auto-include in all tall unit decks or as finisher so he can't swap.

he will swap if you don't have highest unit when played last fyi.

people complaining about waylay is kinda funny because I don't think I've seen that card played ever on pro ladder or in high ranks. pred dive is annoying but you just can play around it kinda easily. nilf knight is fine and cards could be buffed to be more like nilf knight. Blue coin advantageous cards are not a bad thing and an craite marauder is a million times worse.
The guy complaining about TAC making your unit vulnerable to geralt, just don't use TAC until a unit has been hit to 2 or at least don't use it until later in the round. using tactical advantage early is an incredibly common flaw from worse players. Now that's not to say using it early is ALWAYS a mistake but it usually is. For example it is good to use it early in a MO mirror so your opponent can't get their wild hunt riders out easily but that's one of the few times.

Traeheaern is definitely one of the worst feeling cards to have just discard your win con is really tilting and usually an autowin for them. the 6 p to 7 p is not a big nerf lmao.

Can't believe I'm the first to mention legitimate worst card in the game spear. spear is garbage and horrible and actively makes the game worse. The fact it was recently buffed is mind boggling. The fact 2 spears can ping 4 damage by themselves in one turn is ABSURD. remove spears or rework them.

rrc

Forum veteran
#1: Marauder. If you go first, your first card will die unless you have an artifact in hand and play that. This is actually ridiculous for a 4 points card. This is worse than Predatory Drive as, with Predatory Drive, one of your Vrihedd Neophyte will survive, but not with Marauder. There is no way to play around it. Your first unit dies. WTF is the logic behind it. If it is a 6 provision card or 5 provisions with 1 point body then it is fine. But for a 4 provision card, this is top of my list. Blue Mountain Elite was the same kind of card, but she can bring only 1 points to the board after the kill. She got nerfed almost to oblivion but this guy is kept as he is. The worst thing? In the first round getting Maraudered and then in R2 or R3 also getting Maraudered. Fk this card.

#2: Spear. Logically, Spear is twice as powerful as Crach (in a round). Pinging every round (and now, it can even be stored and used to ping twice). Seriously this card should be balanced. Cooldown of 2 is much better.

#3: Shupe: Shupe made sense pre-HC when 3 bronzes were allowed. Pre-HC you sacrified a great deal to use Shupe so if he wins a round (and by extension the game) it was OK. But in HC, there is not much sacrifice in deck building to add Shupe and he provides the same kind of insance value as pre-HC. Shupe should be toned down. 'If you draw Shupe, you win' shouldn't be the case. This is evident by the number of decks that run Shupe in tournaments (nearly 1/3rd, which is obscene and ridiculous).

[Waylay is a pathetic card. I dislike it because it is so damn pathetic and nearly useless. But not like it is OP or annoying. Nilfgaardian Knight was a beautiful unique card. I dislike it now that it has been made a lame card.

Don't see how anyone can complain about Waylay. It's actually a pretty well designed card. You have to have an elf on board to use it so no playing it right off the bat and then it only hits a random card so there will be many times it doesn't get good value at all.

Don't see how anyone can complain about Waylay. It's actually a pretty well designed card. You have to have an elf on board to use it so no playing it right off the bat and then it only hits a random card so there will be many times it doesn't get good value at all.

People complain about everything on this forum.

Golyat is worse than Caldwell in my opinion. He is a 10 for 10. Triggers all thrives, synergises with ghouls. And even if you can kill him somehow to trigger his deathwish, it isnt really beneficial for you. He needs to be reworked. The beta Golyat would be much than this current version. For example: 6 base power. Deploy: Boost self by 6. Whenever this unit is damaged, damage self by 2. Provision : 8 or 9.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Seriously, im F'in tired of Count Caldwell doing whatever he wants:

Caldwell Glitch.jpg

The opponent played Caldwell as his 2nd last card, and i knew his last card was gonna be damaging, so i saved Regis HV for last, where i stole the points of the boosting dwarf, so i had the highest unit (even higher than Caldwell).
And we both passed and ofc, that fat bastard stayed in opponent's side, and i lost another ranked, as if i wasnt having enough trouble trying to get by with NR.

Waylay is always better if you're going first, you can play an elf to enable Waylay for the next turn, unless your opponent kills said elf, in return allowing you to answer whatever your opponent plays.

However if you're going second, then Waylay just becomes a 50/50 because your opponent will most likely have two units on the board, while you'll only have your one elf activating Waylay. Furthermore Waylay needs to be played as early as possible, otherwise you just make the variance higher, which is a huge constrain, and similarly to Predatory Dive, it only really works against engine decks and against greedy players going for a tempo play early on, for instance a turn one Ghoul.

In any cases Waylay in either good on one side of the coin flip, which isn't necessary healthy for the game, particularly for a card which disrupts strategies, or becomes a rng fiesta on the other side of the coin flip, and even though Waylay isn't as bad as Spotter in terms of randomness, it's still a 50/50 at best if you're going second, and I'm not sure it's a particular healthy rng for the game, once again, particularly for a disruptive card.

At last, Waylay is at 6 provisions when Alzur's Thunder is also at 6 provisions, if you want a control special card, then you should always play Alzur's Thunder which is the most reliable option, because Waylay will only punish greedy tempo plays.

So no, I wouldn't say Waylay is a well designed card, it has both a bad rng aspect to it and a coin flip advantage, while being surpassed most of the time by a neutral.

Seriously, im F'in tired of Count Caldwell doing whatever he wants: [...]
The opponent played Caldwell as his 2nd last card, and i knew his last card was gonna be damaging, so i saved Regis HV for last, where i stole the points of the boosting dwarf, so i had the highest unit (even higher than Caldwell).
And we both passed and ofc, that fat bastard stayed in opponent's side, and i lost another ranked, as if i wasnt having enough trouble trying to get by with NR.

Caldwell (potentially) only switches on the player's turn who originally played the card, in this case the opponent's. This means that if you had last say and played Regis, then the game ended before Caldwell had a chance to switch. Hypothetically, if the opponent had a turn thereafter, Caldwell would have switched.

Last edited:
So no, I wouldn't say Waylay is a well designed card, it has both a bad rng aspect to it and a coin flip advantage, while being surpassed most of the time by a neutral.

I don't think I would call it bad RNG. It's RNG that you can control to good extent and remove large variance. The coin flip will make the card a little worse or better but that's not a big deal to me. The same can be said of many cards. I think the card is interesting and isn't over powered which is why I said it was well designed. It could probably be better with some tweaks.

Caldwell (potentially) only switches on the side the card was originally played, in this case the opponent's. This means that if you had last say and played Regis, then the game ended before Caldwell had a chance to switch. Hypothetically, if the opponent had a turn after, Caldwell would have switched.

:LOL:

If this doesn't scream "bin this card design", nothing does! It's an awful card.

'Here ya go, boring a.f. Big Mo deck, have another 10 points for just 8 provs.'

Hello, I am new to Gwent. My most disliked card so far is Ruehin. It seems that once placed and consumed this card is infinitely stacking. I'm sure there's a way to deal with it, maybe by locking it? If anyone has a good way to manage this please do tell!

Top Bottom