Cards I expect to change

+
Cards I expect to change

As you are all aware the cards that we will get to use during Beta have been released and I think it is safe to say that many of them will get changed one way or the other. Below are some of the cards i already feel confident to say that they will change.

Stammelfords tremors: I expect this card to become a silver card. When you compare it to lacerate. It is obvious that this card is too strong for bronze. Alternatively it could do -1 instead of -2.

Sabrina Glessivig: Simply too powerful and it is easy to trigger. Opponent will have a hard time protecting this card from you. I expect a nerf to the damage she deals.

Avallac’h: His strength is too low. I would be surprised if it stayed as a 4.

Madman Lugos: I expect him to go back to 2 strength. With so many discard opportunities for skellige. He will become too big in his current form.

Ocvist: Takes too long. I expect in the future he will either activate in 3 or 4 turns.

Operator: Because of the endless loop he could create with copying a decoy. I expect him to only copy non-golden units or Bronze cards. The problem with the former is that a loop could still be created by stealing the opponents operator from his GY. Copying only bronze cards seems the best solution.

Zoltan chivay: he was too strong as a 8 and he is too weak as a 5. Expect a bump to 6 or 7.

Bloody baron: Compared to the other medics. His strength is too high. Probably will go down.

Holger blackhand: Too weak compared to Clan brokvar archers. Difference is only 2 strength. He will either get buffed or the archers will get nerfed.

Regis: I dont know what his vampire form is but i can already tell its going to be hard to activate it because regis is a gold card. The only cards that can destroy him in 1 try is radovid and Iorveth. Unless going tot the GY at the end of the round counts as being destroyed i expect this card to get changed.

Yennefer: She is 9 strenght on her own and you get a choice. I dont know what the choice is but unless there is no more than 3 or 4 strength benefit from the choice (doubtful). I expect her strength to get reduced.

Roche/Iorveth/Triss: These 3 cards are way too similar. I expect 1 or 2 of them to get another ability. But maybe that’s my wishful thinking.

These are my predictions. I wonder how many i get right :) Feel free to share your own predictions.

Last edited:
Avallac’h, is pretty strong tho, his disloyal. So giving the opponent a card above 4 strength and also handing them a card, while I recieve two I think it's fair as is(if that is how he still is, haven't checked GwentDB to confirm)

I can see Lugos getting changed yes, as people gain the controll to make their own decks this guy will be very strong on the third round.

Pretty much agree with everything except Avallac’h, he can stay as he is :p But because I disagree with Avallac’h getting change I do however fear he will be changed, as they(CDPR) have become stern when it comes to giving players card advantage to players.

Some well thought out points you made there, let's see if CDPR comes to the same conclusions after more testing.

Regis: I dont know what his vampire form is but i can already tell its going to be hard to activate it because regis is a gold card. The only cards that can destroy him in 1 try is radovid and Iorveth. Unless going tot the GY at the end of the round counts as being destroyed i expect this card to get changed.

I think it works the same as the prize winning cow and Morkvarg. Destroyed means removed from the battlefield to the graveyard, which could be done by wounding or at the end of the round.

You forgot Scoiatael silvers and bronzes like Yarpen and Blathanna trappers ,, the most OP cards in the game

In case of Trappers, due to its wording, I suspect that it works even on YOUR units, and if not, it will be needing a nerf for sure, IMO it should work only on Unit that appears and triggers it.

Don't know what you mean with Yarpen, he is simply a weaker Mahakam Defender, because he is on the field for 2 turns instead of 3

In case of Trappers, due to its wording, I suspect that it works even on YOUR units, and if not, it will be needing a nerf for sure, IMO it should work only on Unit that appears and triggers it.

Don't know what you mean with Yarpen, he is simply a weaker Mahakam Defender, because he is on the field for 2 turns instead of 3

Yarpen is 21 strength across all rounds .. That's OP even by the old standards unless he just stays for one round

---------- Updated at 06:44 PM ----------

1 realy imba card i see now. PRISCILLA !!!! 2 old operator in 1 card its madness change old operator and create it.
http://www.gwentdb.com/cards/551-priscilla

I dont like Ciaran to low str for his ability.
http://www.gwentdb.com/cards/50111-ciaran

Ocvist also too slow and usleless.
http://www.gwentdb.com/cards/574-ocvist

All others ok for now but we need some play test to see how it works.
how's Priscilla another operator when she pulls from the player's deck not the opponents which rewards good deckbuilding and isn't very different to elven mercenary except it plays 2 cards instead of one special which has both upsides and downsides to it,, the card could be too good for a silver but it's a card that shouldn't be removed they just have to make it gold if it proves to be very powerful.

What happened to Iorveth? I've heard he had an interesting token ability, now he's not, it's simple wounding.

Yarpen only last 1 extra round.

Why are Dol Blathanna Trapoers the most powerful in your opinion?

I feel like it is because you get a bronze card that can effectively remain unknown (facedown) on the opponent's board and trigger a -5 wounding on the enemy's row of your choice when a card Is played in said row. In a way I feel that this lockdowns that row to much because a potential -5 wounding effect can win the round for a player if they trigger the trapper. An example would be that you are playing against a monster deck (which can be very row-focused in strength + numbers) that has a lot of griffins and/or foglets etc. and you play the sapper on the ranged row. This single bronze card has just effectively prevented the other player from playing any other ranged monster on their field, and additionally any muster cards such as Aracheas (which can be mustered from the siege row) can lead to a majority of the row being out-right destroyed from the sapper. Additionally, how would a player proceed to remove this card from their own board to counter the sapper? Gold cards can avoid this yes, but unless you are able to promote/play gold units you are out of luck, and wounding your own side of the field can often cost you a card + some of your own strength.

(A side note, how would triggering the sapper work? Per-say I play a Yaevinn on the same row as the sapper, would Yavens -2 affect kill the sapper first, or would the sapper trigger from Yaevinn being played and -5 from the row + Yaevinn and then his -2 effect apply after, leading to a -7 total + a card draw?)

What happened to Iorveth? I've heard he had an interesting token ability, now he's not, it's simple wounding.

Well, he was spawning a commando (3 STR, Ranged) whenever a card with Swap (Decoy, Vrihedd Officer) was played, but now that Decoy is Silver and other swap abilities seems to be removed, they had to give him something different (maybe placeholder ability for now, but if I remeber correctly, he is a Great Archer, which fits his ability now)

Operator pull random 1 card from opponets deck. Pricsilla play 2 card from your deck, and it can be 2 gold cards!!
If Priscilla be like pull 2 BRONZE card from your deck its can be ok. But now its looks like this.

Priscilla 1 str silver LOYAL card. Draw 2 cards from your deck and play em in this turn. We now dont have any spy who give you free 2 cards and priscilla loyal so she can be buffed Henselt can make her Gold etc!
P.s. In deck with units with minimal str 5-6 priscila work like 12+ str card. Now only heroes\gold have 12 str.
With deck there we have card like this it can be real problem
http://www.gwentdb.com/cards/1031-ves
http://www.gwentdb.com/cards/1006-shani
http://www.gwentdb.com/cards/50064-reaver-hunter
http://www.gwentdb.com/cards/1108-reaver-scout
http://www.gwentdb.com/cards/1042-nenneke
http://www.gwentdb.com/cards/1116-field-medic
http://www.gwentdb.com/cards/50071-reinforcement
http://www.gwentdb.com/cards/567-bloody-baron
And all witchers who pull other from deck.

I know it seems crazy ,, but people tested it and it didn't prove to be as powerful as you think,, in beta if turns out to be OP I think cdpr will change it to gold

---------- Post merged on 13-10-2016 at 12:28 AM ----------

Yarpen only last 1 extra round.

Why are Dol Blathanna Trapoers the most powerful in your opinion?

What about Ves ,, she's pretty useless because there are Reaver scouts and reinforcement card (which is pretty underwhelming as well and I think NR should use a nekker warrior type of card)

I guess the reason why they can be placed in both sides is qute imple: You can for example bluff that you used Ida (loyal) and prevent them from playing specials with other card. It ofc applies to all that type of cards and Ida is an example. I think if card is not revealed until the end of turn it reveals itself in the end.

I guess the reason why they can be placed in both sides is qute imple: You can for example bluff that you used Ida (loyal) and prevent them from playing specials with other card. It ofc applies to all that type of cards and Ida is an example. I think if card is not revealed until the end of turn it reveals itself in the end.

At the end of the round you mean? Cause I think in the case of Ida, she remains face down from turn to turn until someone plays a special card.

I said if card is not revealed until end of round. Ida as far as I know isn't resilient so she would go olut from the board when the round ends. Ofc if something that triggers the ability happens it's revarled (except for Cirian, he triggers at the end of round anywyay).

I feel like it is because you get a bronze card that can effectively remain unknown (facedown) on the opponent's board and trigger a -5 wounding on the enemy's row of your choice when a card Is played in said row. In a way I feel that this lockdowns that row to much because a potential -5 wounding effect can win the round for a player if they trigger the trapper. An example would be that you are playing against a monster deck (which can be very row-focused in strength + numbers) that has a lot of griffins and/or foglets etc. and you play the sapper on the ranged row. This single bronze card has just effectively prevented the other player from playing any other ranged monster on their field, and additionally any muster cards such as Aracheas (which can be mustered from the siege row) can lead to a majority of the row being out-right destroyed from the sapper. Additionally, how would a player proceed to remove this card from their own board to counter the sapper? Gold cards can avoid this yes, but unless you are able to promote/play gold units you are out of luck, and wounding your own side of the field can often cost you a card + some of your own strength.

(A side note, how would triggering the sapper work? Per-say I play a Yaevinn on the same row as the sapper, would Yavens -2 affect kill the sapper first, or would the sapper trigger from Yaevinn being played and -5 from the row + Yaevinn and then his -2 effect apply after, leading to a -7 total + a card draw?)

From our internal testing this was one of the weakest cards, so we increased the damage it does significantly.

You are also giving the opponent points and relying on them playing units on that row also.

So there are quite a lot of drawbacks to it.

If you still feel this way after playing with it in the closed beta please let me know :)

Another card that i think will get changed is reinforced siege tower. Getting +2 for every gold unit that appears is too much. With scorch being silver this card could reach insane heights and I believe in igromir it also got the buff after being promoted. So you could build up its strength after promoting it. +1 seems more reasonable.

The Swallow Potion should probably also change. McbeardCh made a good point in his podcast that this card makes Radovid look bad. He can remove 10 strength but Swallow can add 10 and its bronze so you could have 3 of them.

Last edited:
But Radovid with the ability to remove even the gold card. I don't think this ability is weak.

It isn that great either. Almost all gold cards activate their ability once played so you are only get a 10 strength value from him. Like i said Swallow can do that and its bronze. Most of the other leader cards can get you much more value.

Radovid so far is only good to get rid of resilient units like zoltan and Borkh because his ability activates after 3 turns.

Last edited:
At the moment I think that the swallow is too strong card. Therefore it is necessary to reduce an increase in power or make it silver. But at the same time, card with increased force becomes an easy target for Scorch or any other cards. But Radovid 100 % removes a gold card from the battlefield. In the future the chance that she'll be back on the field lower than the chance that a card with increased power (+10) will weaken or something will be removed from the battlefield.

Top Bottom