Cards Like Isbel Need a Truce Tag

+
Just played the most retarded game that I've ever experienced in the history of Gwent, even worse than the artifact and froth spam.

Went up against Emhyr. He passes 4 cards into round 1 so we go into round 2 with 9 cards each. 2 cards later, it's tied 10-10 in Round 2. I do the easiest pass of my life since I get a 1 card advantage going into round 3 right? Wrong. He drops Isbel. Passes. Next turn he uses Isbel, gives me a useless card, Lethos it so he gets another Isbel, Emhyr's his original Isbel back, passes, then plays it again. He drops what he doesn't need after using his Isbels and goes into Round 3 with 7 cards to my 10. My Seltkirk, Botchling, and another gold get burned and there's nothing I can do about it. Needless to say I end up losing Round 3.

Why the hell did CDProjektRed remove the Truce tag [for newbies, the truce tag signifies that a card's ability can only be used when both opponents have not passed]? It's glaringly obvious in hindsight that card drawing cards would be abused in a manner like this; how the eff did this even get past the PTR?

EDIT:

STOP BUMPING THIS THREAD
CAN NONE OF YOU READ THAT IT WAS MADE IN 2018? YES, 2018 1 MONTH AFTER RELEASE WHEN CARDS THAT DID 4 POINTS OF DAMAGE WERE CONSIDERED GOD TIER AND AUTO-RUN IN EVERY DECK. Heck I'm pretty sure Witcher Trio and Artifacts weren't nerfed at that point either.

Not 2020 when half the leader abilities were changed and there are multiple 5-provision cards that do 5 damage on demand, or 4 provision lock and poison cards, and all artifacts besides Scenario cards are jokes.

This problem as well as this deck doesn't exist anymore since every faction has cheap removal, there have been multiple leader ability changes, and even if your deck doesn't have removal it is geared towards going ham and 2-0'ing easily.

I haven't played seriously for almost all of 2020 except for this last December season and I easily got to Pro and never once lost a to a mill deck. Mill is a joke now and is not even close to being threatening or even infuriating as it was back in 2018 or in open Beta. If CDPR decides to troll around and start buffing Mill again maybe I will make a new thread but until then MIll remains a joke.

Last edited:
Just played the most retarded game that I've ever experienced in the history of Gwent, even worse than the artifact and froth spam.

Went up against Emhyr. He passes 4 cards into round 1 so we go into round 2 with 9 cards each. 2 cards later, it's tied 10-10 in Round 2. I do the easiest pass of my life since I get a 1 card advantage going into round 3 right? Wrong. He drops Isbel. Passes. Next turn he uses Isbel, gives me a useless card, Lethos it so he gets another Isbel, Emhyr's his original Isbel back, passes, then plays it again. He drops what he doesn't need after using his Isbels and goes into Round 3 with 7 cards to my 10. My Seltkirk, Botchling, and another gold get burned and there's nothing I can do about it. Needless to say I end up losing Round 3.

Why the hell did CDProjektRed remove the Truce tag [for newbies, the truce tag signifies that a card's ability can only be used when both opponents have not passed]? It's glaringly obvious in hindsight that card drawing cards would be abused in a manner like this; how the eff did this even get past the PTR?
Most likely because it was rushed out, untested, unbalanced. That match would have irritated me as well.

partci

Forum veteran
Well, I've got Milled by Ancient Elder MS yesterday and I found it more efficient than NG (boi was putting more points on the table, I think). I believe I lost the game cause I was already really bored and tired and was actually not paying attention to what was happening and what do I have left in my deck, but the Mill was there none the less. With MS.

Whatever happen with the Truce tag, BTW? I think it was there for a reason.

We've lost so many mechanics...

4RM3D

Ex-moderator

You say it was retarded, I actually think it was a brilliant move. It's not an abuse, but rather thinking of new ways to use the strength of cards. If that would have happened to me, I wouldn't even be mad.

rrc

Forum veteran
Thanks to Eithnè, I started to play NG (for Usurper). NG cards are really unique and is mainly aimed at disrupting the enemy decks. Cards like Letho, VW (obscene card and will get nerfed, at least to move to graveyard instead of banishing), the 4 points mulligan bronze card, Inflitrator, Yennifer special card (which will place a card or artifact in the battlefield on top of the respective deck), Cynthia, Isbel, the other guy who sees the top 3 cards and move one to GY.. seriously, NG is awesome. While most of these cards in your deck will probably lose you the game, the mechanics otherwise is unique and awesome and hell lot of fun to play in Casual (and lose). NG is now my second most favorite faction.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Well, if you like that play or not is up to each other tastes, but if CDPR needs to change something, its not just Isbel but all of the 'draw/ play cards', which NG has a lot.

Truce was removed from Homecoming for some reason and without it this card can allow for easy card advantage after opponent passes in round three. Two extra cards if using Emhyr. This seems exploitative because the card is supposed to give both players a playable card, but because of the pass only the player using Isabel gets to use the drawn card.
Is this an exploit or working as intended?

Last edited:
That's a dirty trick and imo, is a bit much.

It's not the plusses, it's the giving you dead draws after you passed, causing hand limit to totally screw you over next round...there's zero counterplay...

Makes me happy I run Usurper, it disables some of the more overpowered combos in the game so I'll never, ever see this happen personally.

Last edited:
Mill has always been the most annoing deck ever made, funny how homecoming killed good artchetipes but that garbage Still lives.

I have had this match THREE times. (now quit for good, partly because of trash like this - AND the fact i'm facing it at a relatively low level). To effectively 'hack' the game like this requires considerable knowledge of Gwent. I mean you can't even copy it easy, it's very complicated - how the hell am I facing it three times, the OP has faced it too?

Gwent76, guys. Gwent76. Broke af. No, wait...dead af.

I have had this match THREE times. (now quit for good, partly because of trash like this - AND the fact i'm facing it at a relatively low level). To effectively 'hack' the game like this requires considerable knowledge of Gwent. I mean you can't even copy it easy, it's very complicated - how the hell am I facing it three times, the OP has faced it too?

Gwent76, guys. Gwent76.

Run Usurper and never deal with overpowered leader combos again. :)

Well, I've got Milled by Ancient Elder MS yesterday and I found it more efficient than NG (boi was putting more points on the table, I think). I believe I lost the game cause I was already really bored and tired and was actually not paying attention to what was happening and what do I have left in my deck, but the Mill was there none the less. With MS.

Whatever happen with the Truce tag, BTW? I think it was there for a reason.

We've lost so many mechanics...

Mill with Ancient Elder? Appart from Stregobor and Isbel... he cant really mill... can he?
Did you play Skelliges Bran? ;)

So I built the deck and tried it...its good but frankly, it only works on stupid people mostly. If you play deep the deck blows.

Guest 4322057

Isbel shouldn’t work if the opponent only has one card left in their hand. It’s way to cheesy to play her when the opponent only has one card, so that on their turn of their last card they pass and if they can’t destroy her with their final card, you get a free draw and the opponent has already passed so the card they get is meaningless. The worst part is that it’s way too easy to set up; as long as you win the first round.

Vilgefortz in Beta Gwent had the Truce mechanic so that he couldn’t give them a free card after they passed (in short to bypass his effect downside).

Why truce mechanic removed after homecoming? It broke my gameplan right now :(.

Isbel of Hagge, Stregobor, the cards which makes card advantage, isn't requires both player not passed, is it?. They can grants you card advantage, which is very important for Gwent. We couldn't use Operator when we were in beta, why this cards can use their abilities while opponent has been passed? If they become weaker, let them buff themself, for example for Isbel, same ability but if your opponent passed before ability triggers, gains 3 point or something idk. But like this, it could be too annoying while drawing 3 cards each round and 10 card hand limit. I had 7 cards in my hand when i passed, my opponent played isbel and discarded my card on round 3. This could be huge problem later. I think truce mechanic needs to be in game.

I personally think that's an interesting effect and don't much have a problem with it, she's an orders card and if that deck ever becomes popular it's easy enough to play around.

I played a game against an Emhyr deck that utilized the Thronebreaker card ISBEL OF HAGGE.
Needless to say, when it used it's ability, my opponent managed to get a card from either decks while i couldn't get my own. The card effect says:

Order, Ranged: Look at the top card from both decks. Keep one and GIVE the other to your opponent.

I didn't get the second effect of this card's ability. My opponent managed to exploit this bug further by using Emhyr's leader ability even after i passed on R3 because it does not have the TRUCE mechanic like other cards. Please CDPR. Fix this issue because it is incredibly frustrating losing to this exploit. A few months have already passed. You have addressed the issue of Sihil rather readily so i don't understand how this card hasn't been patched yet.

To anyone reading, please upvote and let the developers know of this. Unless you guys know something and i don't and this is actually an INTENDED mechanic.

Edit: Thinking back on it, the source of the bug(aside from the truce one) may have something to do with banished cards caused by Viper Witchers not getting accounted for by the game. During that match when i had a look at my deck, the two banished cards were still showed there. So when Isbel's ability activated, the game may have thought it 'drew' that banished card causing me to draw no cards at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom