Cards that make no sense

+
While there are many rants about cards that are overpowered (or perceived to be overpowered), I would like to discuss cards that are not just weak (there are literally hundreds of those), but cards that are so underpowered I can conceive of no circumstances in which one would want them. My purpose is twofold — to begin a list of cards most in need of a significant rework (whose present form will not be missed), and to learn more about the game since other players may have uses for cards that I have overlooked. Please reply with either cards you see a unusable, or reasons listed cards may be better than they first appear.

So here is my list.
NEUTRAL Cards
Marching orders
Wyvern scale shield
Master rafted spear
Wolf pack
Peasant Militia
MONSTER
None
NILFGAARD
Milton DePeyrac
Mangonel
Infiltrator
NORTHERN REALMS
None
SCOIA’TAEL
Farseer
SKELLIGE
Dimun Smuggler
SYNDICATE
I dont’t have experience to judge.

Note: I almost included Enraged ifrit because of its clear inferiority to One-eyed Betsy, but I chose not to include it because it is conceivable one would want both, and it is conceivable one who does not own One-Eyed Betsy would still play Enraged ifrit.

All those cards were playable at some point, until they got nerfed or their supporting archetype got nerfed. Also, some of them were still playable, afterward, but they got powercrept. Enraged Ifrit is a prime example of this. Regardless, there have been countless threads like these and, lately, my response has always been the same. That is, those cards are old(er) and CDPR cannot keep tweaking them. They have served there purpose and it's time to move on towards new expansions. Yes, that's not ideal, but neither is reworking cards every time something else gets changed.

Farseer was my favorite once. They change good cards like the game is not launched in beta yet.

Payus

Forum regular
You forgot Mandrake.
And now we have the Scout. 5 for 5 with veil, no ability.

All of those are at least some kind of playable compared to White Frost which is completely useless, they should probably give the Ard Gaeth skill to White Frost without the Echo and turn it into a MO Faction Card and rework Ard Gaeth into a echo WH tudor (play a bronze WH unit from your Deck Dominance: Play a Wild Hunt unit from you're Deck)

Guest 4404014

Scout. 5 for 5 with veil, no ability.

That's an Invader wannabe.

rework Ard Gaeth into a echo WH tudor (play a bronze WH unit from your Deck Dominance: Play a Wild Hunt unit from you're Deck)

Noooo. NG would be jealous. Devotion NG also has no tutoring which feels like it sucks big time after dabbling in SKomegaLUL for a while.

Both Marching Order and Infiltrator are definitely playable. Infiltrator is fun for disrupting the opponent say after he drypasses R2. It's proper disruption that's not just "I delete ur unit lol".

Last edited:
Both Marching Order and Infiltrator are definitely playable. Infiltrator is fun for disrupting the opponent say after he drypasses R2. It's proper disruption that's not just "I delete ur unit lol".
Also both of these cards are perfect for meme decks. Marching Orders fos Avallach, Jennefer, Yrden and such. Infiltrator to copy him many times filling oponents deck as much as possible whith them.

Marching orders should be buffed to 6-7 prov because it has lost a lot of synergy with the unist that are now out of range like Lippy and Aglais and the nerfed initiative units like Gerald Igni, Regis, and others.

Infiltrators could be given Veil or 1 point of armor. that would make them includable in more decks.

Marching order is decent because it's a tactic, usually pulls Menno or defender, either way it guarantees two tactics in the same turn for some extra burst with Helge.
The problem is that tactics aren't that good right now.

Also both of these cards are perfect for meme decks. Marching Orders fos Avallach, Jennefer, Yrden and such. Infiltrator to copy him many times filling oponents deck as much as possible whith them.

Marching orders should be buffed to 6-7 prov because it has lost a lot of synergy with the unist that are now out of range like Lippy and Aglais and the nerfed initiative units like Gerald Igni, Regis, and others.

Infiltrators could be given Veil or 1 point of armor. that would make them includable in more decks.
Thank you, I had misinterpreted marching orders as lowest provision, not lowest power; it is obviously useful when correctly interpreted.

Wolf pack
You can play this one in SK Beast-Discard deck :smart:, it's cheaper that Raging Bear and you will always discard it so it doesn't have to be good :)

And some more garbage cards, that i wouldn't put even into a quest deck:
Neutral:
Dandelion: Vainglory
Vivienne: Oriole
Trial of the Grasses
Dimeritium Bomb
White Frost

MO:
Siren
Archespore

NG:
Rico Meiersdorf
Combat Engineer

NR:
Sabrina's Inferno
P.F.I.

ST:
Vrihedd Saboteur
Scoia'Tael Neophyte

SK:
Dimun Pirate
Tuirseach Axeman

SY:
Payday
Keeper of the Flame
Tidecloak Ransackers

Infiltrator could be realy cool with this specific change. Devotion: boost a unit/agent by 5, then shuffle self into opponents deck.

All those cards were playable at some point, until they got nerfed or their supporting archetype got nerfed. Also, some of them were still playable, afterward, but they got powercrept. Enraged Ifrit is a prime example of this. Regardless, there have been countless threads like these and, lately, my response has always been the same. That is, those cards are old(er) and CDPR cannot keep tweaking them. They have served there purpose and it's time to move on towards new expansions. Yes, that's not ideal, but neither is reworking cards every time something else gets changed.
Without a rework, to certain underpowered cards, it doesn't just mean they don't get play, though. It means a whole archetype is affected and won't get play.

What about cards like Witcher Trio. These are on the year of the boar tree as premium cards. Yet they are currently unplayable in their current form.

24 provisions for 6 points and 2 thinning.

For me personally adjustment to what could/should be core cards in any Witcher archetype deck needs to be done.

The Witcher archetype is built around legendary and epic cards. It is an expensive deck to build, so is unlikely to get play on the lower rungs of the ladder.

But at the same time it is seriously underpowered and so will only be a meme at the higher ranks. Though I run one myself, I don't think I've ever played against a Witcher deck more than a handful of times in nearly 1000 games. Surprisingly in a game called "Gwent: The Witcher Card Game"

These three cards which on the surface would appear to be autoinclude, due to their cost/performance are currently a hindrance to any deck that includes them.

So whilst to move with the times is something you keep saying, this counter argument will also keep popping up.

On a personal level, if CDPR did make moves to creating better balance through editting older cards and making archetypes like:
Witchers
Beasts
viable that would be something that would bring me back to the game.

Maybe they will with the next expansion...

These three cards which on the surface would appear to be autoinclude, due to their cost/performance are currently a hindrance to any deck that includes them.

Yeah, well, they used to be so good that almost every deck included them. Because of this CDPR nerfed them into oblivion. What I gave as feedback during the PTR was to change them into neutral Crones, instead. Meaning that every next Witcher Trio card played would have a stronger effect. This would work well with a Witcher archetype, one that has been lacking since the start of Gwent, except for the meme NG Witcher deck, pre-nerf.

Top Bottom