Cards you find STUPID in Homecoming: The Witcher Card Game

+

DRK3

Forum veteran
Just share your thoughts, as I will do while crafting stuff. I will deliberately try to skip all "reveal random unit and boost/damage by its strength", you already know what an AMAZING design those are:

Stregobor: After 2 turns, each player draws a unit and set its power to 1. *head explodes*

Cahir: whenever a enemy receives a boost, boost self by the same amount (though it sound interesting, it is still definitely situational and good luck with all the removal).

Glorious Hunt: destroy the unit with the highest base power (maybe would've been awesome in a different version of the game. Now it just looks clunky).

Rainfarn: boost an enemy unit by 3, than boost self by 3 (I know there are some combos, but, come on...).

Lambert: destroy an enemy with Resilience (making favorite character's cards useless since 2017™ ).

... and I've got thrown out of the game.

GG

I agree with you - there are tons of stupid cards in this Gwent... but actually i would like to comment on two of those you mentioned:

Cahir - when i read the description i also thought "not that great", but one of the very few matches i had (like 3rd or 4th), i had one guy play Avallach (6pt so you cant thunder him immediately) then Cahir and gave Immune to Cahir... then he proceeded to boost the entire round and finally he played Yen - boost. That Cahir was over 30pt at that time.

Lambert: something - well, destroy an enemy with resilience may sound bad since resilience is not a big thing, but considering how easy to give resilience to a unit is, and the opponent likely wont have a way to remove that resilience, it might actually be one of the best cards to deal with big units. Remember, this is a deploy effect so its instant, and has no restrictions - can be on a gold, bronze, damage, boosted,... only units it cant hit are immune ones.

I agree with you - there are tons of stupid cards in this Gwent... but actually i would like to comment on two of those you mentioned:

Cahir - when i read the description i also thought "not that great", but one of the very few matches i had (like 3rd or 4th), i had one guy play Avallach (6pt so you cant thunder him immediately) then Cahir and gave Immune to Cahir... then he proceeded to boost the entire round and finally he played Yen - boost. That Cahir was over 30pt at that time.

Lambert: something - well, destroy an enemy with resilience may sound bad since resilience is not a big thing, but considering how easy to give resilience to a unit is, and the opponent likely wont have a way to remove that resilience, it might actually be one of the best cards to deal with big units. Remember, this is a deploy effect so its instant, and has no restrictions - can be on a gold, bronze, damage, boosted,... only units it cant hit are immune ones.
Yeah, I can see those (than I tried them), but still you have to keep one alive, sacrifice 8 provisions for the other, plus whatever Lambert: Whatever is worth.

Last edited:
Yep all of them. Since incoming, I feel like playing only with bronze cards Horrible
bring back beta gwent please :eek:

Battering Ram seems pretty stupid to me. The decks artifact removal is absolutly necessary against, won't leave a soldier alife on the board until the next round, such that battering ram becomes completly useless. Also without being able to play it in the first turn in a round, it is useless against phoenix as well.

And I'm still mortified by the Skellige Marauders. If they are played as the first card, or the player doesn't have any other units on his side (looking at you spear), the Marauders become 4 point damage plus a 2 point body for only 4 provisions. They are more or less the new Viper Witchers.

Emhyr and JCV

I just had a guy playing Mill use double vilgefortz burn with emhyr on his last play.

and JCV just straight up plays 2 cards on a turn. at least before he was just a body.

the whole idea of having multiple actions to take on a turn is just so "un gwenty". what a debacle. =(

It's very stupid to play against decks which play lots of them and only play immune or no units on the board.
If you can't counter them everything you play gets removed if you tech against them those cards become useless against non-artifect decks.

I also feel like this new Gwent is all about having a perfect answer. There were a few cards in beta that could easily win you the game if left unanswered (Imlerith: Sabbath, Olgierd + consume, Ciri: Nova + resilience combo, etc). And those cards were generally considered badly designed.

Now, in HC, there are much more cards like that. Can't answer Sihil in round 3 over 10 turns? Prepare for it to generate potentially 50+ value for your opponent.
Post automatically merged:

Battering Ram seems pretty stupid to me. The decks artifact removal is absolutly necessary against, won't leave a soldier alife on the board until the next round, such that battering ram becomes completly useless. Also without being able to play it in the first turn in a round, it is useless against phoenix as well.

All artifact removal cards are very clunky except Vrihedd Sappers (you always have another elf in the hand unless it's one of the last turns) and NG ones.

Last edited:
Waylay is a broken card when you play enough removal it's basically a scorch.
I've already played against several Eithné removal decks that kill all my lowest units and waylay as finisher to remove my highest unit.
Thats just a pathetic ability and it only costs 6 provisions!

The Witcher 3 Had a fun Gwent Game.

You guys did well making it an external card game right after.

I liked the Beta the entire time because you kept the Gwent theme.
But who thought it was a good idea on full release to make Hearthstone out of Gwent?
This is completely retarded and you've lost a PC+PS4 player.

If you wanted to try a Hearthstone theme, you should have beta tested it and made a poll about it.

The beta you could jump right into and be fully emersed within seconds. Now, it's a worthless piece of crap that'll be forgotten about 2 months after it releases on consoles.

I will play on my console and enjoy the game for this precious month, but after that... Seriously guys, who f-ed this up?

Maybe Gwent Beta was just a dream?

It couldn't have happened in real life, because when I downloaded something claiming to be the result of it called "Gwent" on Tuesday some awful, clunky, dark, boring barely-even-a-playable-game appeared on my laptop. It had no resemblance whatsoever to the game I thought I'd played. I can only come to the conclusion I have a fantastic imagination and was actually enjoying playing something I created.

I kinda liked the literal Brain Fart card...
Foltest's Pride.... which has a Reach of 3, but an ability that only triggers from the melee row. Like what, are we gonna target the cards in their hand with it? = P

Don't forget the ST hiding in the bushes and the dragons flying in the sky. Yes, we actually need 5 rows!
Melee, Ranged, Siege, Ambush, Sky...
Ah, and we got a Death Star, so Space, oh, and let's not forget about Dormammu, so Inter-dimension.

Yes, 7 rows we need!

I think you are confusing the literal uselessness of a reach ability that is greater than its possible target range with some ad absurdum complaint about rows

Top Bottom