Cards you find STUPID in Homecoming: The Witcher Card Game

+
I think you are confusing the literal uselessness of a reach ability that is greater than its possible target range with some ad absurdum complaint about rows

I know you weren't complaining about the rows. It seems my sarcasm was lost on you, though.

Card abilities used to be meaningful, some might not be useful, but they were what their corresponding card art represented.

Jonny who is casually doing business by the lake while Ciri jolts entering the scene then disappears, had this ingenious ability to dump (poop) a card into the graveyard then create one from the opponent's hand. Now, he damages a unit by 2.

Artifact Compression ... as the title says and the picture shows, it turned a unit into a miniature figurine. Now, it does what Margarita used to do.

White Frost used to cover 2 rows with frost per the title and the art. Now, it destroys artifacts.

Korathi Heatwave, like White Frost, used to put desert heatwave on rows to slowly chip away the health of units under the influence, forcing them to regress. Now, it banishes a unit or artifact.

Eskel: Pathfinder ... as he strenuously fights the forktail, he destroyed a non boosted unit. Now he just boosts himself.

Regis who flourishes under the full moon sharing the moment with his crow companions, as a vampire, sucked all the boosts off a unit and before that, like a true vampire, he reduced a unit by half then boosted himself by the amount of damage. Now he damages units by 1.

I can go on but gonna stop right there. I understand many cards were reworked multiple times during the beta, but it was beta so it was reasonable to change cards consistently to see what worked and what not. I guess non of that worked for CDPR.

Last edited:
Artifact Compression ... as the title says and the picture shows, it turned a unit into a miniature figurine. Now, it does what Margarita used to do.

This one actualy makes me sad, it had a effect that was reflected in its artwork, now it locks a unit and resets it, so what a jade figurine art represents now ?

I really like most changes, they added a lot more flavor to the game although i think on some they really missed the mark

1) Cadaverine
Used to be an alchemy card, lorewise is an ingredient obtained from monsters, usually by witchers. Currently it's an artifact now and gains changers when playing TACTIC cards. This makes no sense, i understand they want to make tactics a nilfgaard theme but they could have used any other card.

Solution: Make Cadaverine gain charges when playing Witchers.
First of all witchers is also a nilfgaard theme, and witchers are the ones gathering the thing.

2) Artifact compression
Like many said, the previous version worked much better

3) White Frost
This card is simply underwhelming.

Solution:
a) Make it deal 1 damage to all enemies and destroy all artifacts, basically like an improved version of tremors.
b) Make it a weather effect that covers both rows and "Disable artifacts for X turns"
This means that opponent still keeps artifacts on board however they don't gain any charges and can't be used, it would be cool against traps aswell to prevent them from triggering.

As for Destroy all artifacts a good candidate would be Dbomb, which is also underwhelming, i mean for 2 extra provisions you get a 4 point body with Bomb Heaver, which is much more useful when no artifacts are played.

Scorch, Epidemic and Schirru, the ability to wipe all the cards from the board is ridiculous and devastating.
In old Gwent it was far more difficult to line-up a scorch in new Gwent it's way to easy.
I'd rather see Scorch changed into selecting a enemy unit (also immune) and destroy it.
Epidemic could be changed in something like damage all enemy units that share the same category on board, hand and deck by 1.
Post automatically merged:

I also dislike Woodlandspirit's ability.
The tactic with this leader feels the same as the old Ciri nova:
Manage to get last say and pointspam with your last card.

Last edited:
i think the best to do right now is to revert to the base game where it was in open beta and a lot of decks was present .
the thing that need to be done is : check where gwent was the most balanced , diverse , immersive , passionate peoples and revert to this version . but maybe keep the 3d system if that can't be reverted to 2 d view system .

-Viper Witchers: do I need to say anything about this effect? it's just plain bullsh*t
-Regis: I don't have anything against Regis per se, but in relation to Sabrinas Inferno, which can hit your own unitsand is capped at 2 shots and has no body and is faction locked, Regis is just stupid
-Kambi: Basically same as Viper Witchers
-Sihil: Badly needs a higher cooldown
-Eredin/Avallach: Just let them make bronzes immune, letting them make somthing like Keltullis immune is just annoying af
-Beastmaster: Just way too good for a bronze

I really liked the old White Frost. Not only it was logical (what else the White Frost could do if not applying frost to multiple rows?), it was pretty useful.

Now it's weak and makes no sense at all in terms of lore.

mostly artifacts cuz you cant really do much unless you got 2 or more cards that can remove them and the cards that can dont do much other than 4 pt bodies on the board

Xavier Lemmens for obvious reasons - ultimate rock/paper/scissors hardcounter nonsense. Should be deleted/completely reworked.

Eredin/Avallac'h/Paulie + whatever Gold combo - almost impossible to counter (unless eg teching Nivellen to move Ge'els off the back row, but too bad if not having that card). Should be restricted to bronze cards only, otherwise can be auto forfeit if having no answer to it.

Artifacts and Artifact removal in general - there should be a middle ground of control/disable rather than all this binary removal or no answer to something.

Buffing artifacts (Wyvern Shield, Thunderbolt etc) should be restricted to allied units only, damaging artifacts (Spears) should be restricted to enemy units only.

Viper Witchers, Kambi, Ihuarraquax, Tibor, Vilgefortz, Angouleme, etc - anything that pulls unknown/random cards from the opponent's hand or deck straight onto the board or graveyard should have some restriction. Way too punishing pulling out crucial golds that can be bricked without using their deploy ability. Whether there should be a limitation to bronze cards only, or something else I don't know.

Kambi I would like to see be redesigned as the current iteration has lost a lot of the flavour of the previous version, even if it was a meme - I'd rather see something like filling all rows with RNR after a timer and spawning like a 8pt Hemdall on your side or something (not wiping all units though).

Certainly more but off the top of my head those are some changes I'd like to see.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Two more stupid cards:

Count Caldwell - 10pt unit, "at the end of the turn, goes to the side with most points."
Ok, im not a fan, but yesterday i faced against it twice. On the 2nd time, it's where he behaved strangely:
opponent plays caldwell and damages me, i damage him, and we both end up with a 6pt unit as our highest unit.
Caldwell is at his side, so he passes. Then Caldwell comes to my side, and with him, i have more points, so i pass thinking i won the round, and caldwell goes back to him before round ends! WTF, never before have i seen any change after the 2nd player passes but before round ends, it must be a bug

Skellige storm - "damages all units on a row, for 2 turns"
i wont even bother writing how bad weather was nerfed as a whole, just this card is ridiculous. a gold, that only lasts 2 turns. On the other hand, we got a bronze like lacerate that damages all units on a row by 2 instantly, so arguably, even better.
Then we have Aeromancer, which can make it last one additional turn. So you would be wasting 2 golds when 2 bronze specials would be better...

I find stupid all the Immune cards and all the cards that mess with my deck. Pure bs if u ask me, pure bs Gwent.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Also, i see a lot of people complaining about viper witchers, but in every match i've played (since HC released, not on PTR) they simply dont banish anything.

I always enjoy when opponents are already brainless automatons using the same NG deck and same strategy, and they start with the witcher trio and roach for tempo move, then willingly lose that advantage playing Viper Witchers, for what? random reveals to boost a later Sweers?

My theory is: loyalty. to the deceased Alchemy's Viper Witchers. Play them, even if it costs some victories.

They ruined Lambert: Swordmaster.

The effect would be okay before homecoming but in homecoming with only 2(3) units that have resilience out of ~500 cards? And nobody is running A-Rush since carry over is either easily disposed or does not matter.

Also, i see a lot of people complaining about viper witchers, but in every match i've played (since HC released, not on PTR) they simply dont banish anything.

I always enjoy when opponents are already brainless automatons using the same NG deck and same strategy, and they start with the witcher trio and roach for tempo move, then willingly lose that advantage playing Viper Witchers, for what? random reveals to boost a later Sweers?

My theory is: loyalty. to the deceased Alchemy's Viper Witchers. Play them, even if it costs some victories.

VW reveal top deck based on the card description. NG has a few other cards capable of revealing top deck too. See where I'm going here?

I'm baffled how no one has yet mentioned Pit Trap. For 7 Provisions this card can hit INSANE value. Like, shutting Woodland every friggin time. I know it must be timed, but for 7 friggin Provisions??? Also, I thought there was a reason they nerfed Morenn back in the day to trigger her ability AFTER the deploy ability. Why you go back to the other side of the pool now and with a mechanic WAY more broken than Morenn ever was?

Also, the problem with Ambush cards. Why TF there is no counter to them?

Top Bottom