Cards you find STUPID in Homecoming: The Witcher Card Game

+
Just share your thoughts, as I will do while crafting stuff. I will deliberately try to skip all "reveal random unit and boost/damage by its strength", you already know what an AMAZING design those are:

Stregobor: After 2 turns, each player draws a unit and set its power to 1. *head explodes*

Cahir: whenever a enemy receives a boost, boost self by the same amount (though it sound interesting, it is still definitely situational and good luck with all the removal).

Glorious Hunt: destroy the unit with the highest base power (maybe would've been awesome in a different version of the game. Now it just looks clunky).

Rainfarn: boost an enemy unit by 3, than boost self by 3 (I know there are some combos, but, come on...).

Lambert: destroy an enemy with Resilience (making favorite character's cards useless since 2017™ ).

... and I've got thrown out of the game.

GG

Last edited:
All the cards you name have a certain combo potential, especially in the future with new cards. So I see less of a problem in the cards.
Stregobor -> Top if you're playing a deck with lower strength and bigger effects anyway. Or even a magic deck in general, so that you can thin out your deck.

Cahir -> Good as counter for certain decks. It is important that there are such cards. Otherwise, it's worth considering building synergies yourself. Can produce completely new deck types, think that's great.

Glorious Hunt -> The same applies as for Stregobor. Own cards with low strength make them even better. Or generally in a spell deck.

Rainfarn -> The combo possibilities are outstanding. With such a card you trigger specific limits like for Igni. You could also let a weather effect eat the 3 stats.

I really dislike all the instant damage cards, which can more or less remove everything the enemy plays. I had quite a couple of games already, where every single card I played was instantly removed.
Blue Mountain Elite: as long as you don't draw it later in the round (which is unlikely due to less tutors), this card will kill basically all engines instantly.
War Dancer: In combination with Filandravel it will kill most bronze engines instantly.
An Craite Marauder: Unconditional 6 point card, which will kill any enemy with less than 5 power in the first turn, or did I not get the effect correctly?
Harald the Cripple: 8 damage in 1 turn means more or less denying the first two cards the enemy played in a round. If you play against him and couldn't force him to use the ability round 1 or 2, you start with two cards down automatically.

Regis: He needs setup, but that setup isn't to difficult to achieve in my opinion and his effect is devastigating.

Also, I don't really like the place artifacts are in at the moment, because they are far too binary. Either the enemy has a counter in hand then the artifact is pretty useless, or he hasn't then the artifact is unstoppable. That is inparticular the problem for gold artifacts, which are more or less old Sabbath.

I'm going to be that guy and point out Phoenix. Card is a bit too abusive.

Elven Swordmaster must have missed the memo on getting a range ability. If you put it in the range row it's order ability doesn't work.

Harald the Cripple: 8 damage in 1 turn means more or less denying the first two cards the enemy played in a round. If you play against him and couldn't force him to use the ability round 1 or 2, you start with two cards down automatically.

Regis: He needs setup, but that setup isn't to difficult to achieve in my opinion and his effect is devastigating.

Also, I don't really like the place artifacts are in at the moment, because they are far too binary. Either the enemy has a counter in hand then the artifact is pretty useless, or he hasn't then the artifact is unstoppable. That is inparticular the problem for gold artifacts, which are more or less old Sabbath.

I played Skellige wounding/damaging deck yesterday. Had 5 games, all 5 against skoiatael. And in every game they had a lot of ways to buff their units both in hand and on the table, they had artifact removal, unit removal, etc.

My best Regis was 8 points (including his 2 points body). And you can't really afford to kill anything with Harald in the early game since he's the only finisher you have.

I am also very sad that CDPR "remixed" a lot of units' abilities. They took an ability from one unit and gave it to another. In most cases this makes no sense from the lore perspective, and it only confuses all beta players (who, arguably, are the majority of player base).

well there will be useless cards as in previous gwent too. Remember NG engineer had a crew tag where NG had no machines interacting with crew. Also there were other cards that were played rarely if ever.

What i dont understand is that why they moved an ability from one card to the other. Like Birna Bran is the new Vermion.

Last edited:
Cahir: whenever a enemy receives a boost, boost self by the same amount (though it sound interesting, it is still definitely situational and good luck with all the removal).

Rainfarn: boost an enemy unit by 3, than boost self by 3 (I know there are some combos, but, come on...).

These new abilities actually make sense since NG has a lot of ways to buff enemies and then either reset them (thankfully they didn't change Peter's ability), drain (good old Regis) or destroy them. You can also make Cahir immune with some cards (like new Avallach).

But this kind of synergy still feels clunky and unreliable.

Usurper - Leaders design is hillariously bad. Viper Witchers, Spotters, Kambi for their ridiculous game-winning rng. VW and Kambi are in a same bucket with Usurper- shouldnt be a thing alltogether.
Viper witchers, because why is mill still a thing? No bronze card should be able to directly send a gold enemy card to the graveyard.
VW doesnt actually send anything into graveyard, it banishes cards. No, i dont know who thought it was a good idea.

... But this kind of synergy still feels clunky and unreliable.
Well, exactly what was written.

And how can you do such thing especially with main characters like Lambert? Remember Roche: Merciless? Should I mention Angouleme?

Why TF are the devs not even think to create (pun not intended) such cards and than to approve them to see the light of the day in the "Gold" version of the game? Like Gascon. Fu$ker could be easily changed to be playable, but no, let's make him as RNG as possible.

This is BS.

You would think their ability to balance/create cards would have improved greatly over the course of the beta and the 6 months to homecoming. This stuff still being such a big issue is really disappointing.

I agree with "all of them", however the bomb one is particularly garbage - a low power bronze unit can annihilate any artefact, because all artefacts sit on the board for a while before becoming useful. Absolute unfathomable nonsense.

What a terrible game. In a way I'm glad, Gwent was highly fun and addictive; even after getting frustrated with a string of bad deals, I could go back knowing I'd get a break. This game? I don't know what it is. How to suck any life or fun out of a game.

CDPR have mucked up badly, I'm afraid.

Viper Witcher - well at least it's not as oppressive as in beta, but being able to banish any type of card is a bit extreme.

Should be restricted to banishing the top bronze card from the deck.

So far I don't like the way how artifects and ambush traps work.
Isn't Gwent situated on the battlefield? Why do I play against swords, spears. shields etc. while there are no/not enough units on the enemies side to wield them?
It's very stupid to play against decks which play lots of them and only play immune or no units on the board.
If you can't counter them everything you play gets removed if you tech against them those cards become useless against non-artifect decks.

Top Bottom