Caretaker is WAAAAAAAAY unbalanced

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest 3842753

Managed to beat Caretaker first try. Iris' Greatest Fear however was no joke on deathmarch.

with quen I can survive one hit without it well I am dead also I am level 70 with mastercrafted witcher gear
Yes but go to menu and character and add quen intensity and exploding shield. That way you can make sure to a good quen. As soon as he spawns those specters kill them and make sure he doesnt hit you while you do it. Then keep beating him and do the same thing one more time and he should go down.

---------- Updated at 08:25 AM ----------

Managed to beat Caretaker first try. Iris' Greatest Fear however was no joke on deathmarch.
Same here. I died like 6 times trying to beat it. First time I got killed by 5 of them. Then silly me thought that if I strike ALL of them, bring them all to life that I'd somehow beat the boss. So no luck on my 2nd try lol. Then I died 4 more times trying to beat them one by one. The one that got me was the one who's second to last. That was on DM and my armor and silver sword was really broken. But as soon as I found out how to dodge everything it was a walk in the park. I think I used one or two swallow in the course of that fight compared to the first times when I ran out of white raffard and swallow on the 2-3rd guy lol.

Caretaker and the Boss fight from the last dream are good the way they are...

You are roleplaying a Witcher and not a Mage. And a Witcher is a Professional in killing Stuff. His highest Value is his Life, so he uses the best possible way to kill a Monster with the lowest risk for his Life. And when Signs don't work, he has a lot of other options to choose from.

Use Bombs, Swords, Crossbow, Potions, Decoctions..... there is so much Geralt can choose from!

And even Enemies with high Magic Resistance like Golems can be beaten by Magic if you use Quen Discharge or pump yourself up with drugs like Foglet Decoction and Petri's Philter

This is ridiculous.... the next major fight against the 5 ghost of Olgierd you can literally Firesteam (not base Igni) him to death. You hold Firestream and as he teleport charges into you, it stuns him and ignites him..

It does ignite him but it does absolutely no damage, maybe a bug. Don't know. I see him burning but he takes no damage. That was with firestream and 195% sign damage. Only way I found to beat 5 ghosts was with swords.

Caretaker is easy compared with last phase of iris worst fear. (on dm igni also did not do anything for me vs iris worst fear).

Caretaker is easy compared with last phase of iris worst fear. (on dm igni also did not do anything for me vs iris worst fear).
Try Axii. I removed the 2 Igni boosters I had on (and delusion) and boosed axii. That works on "worst fear" and kept him calm for more than a second. And then I used hard strike combined with archgriffin decotion and 6 potions to boost stamina, reflexes and critical hit chance. He went down even though my sword and armor was at 50%.
I gotta say that I loved the last mission with the mansion and mirrors, but I was hoping to actually fight a boss at the very end.

Try Axii. I removed the 2 Igni boosters I had on (and delusion) and boosed axii. That works on "worst fear" and kept him calm for more than a second. And then I used hard strike combined with archgriffin decotion and 6 potions to boost stamina, reflexes and critical hit chance. He went down even though my sword and armor was at 50%.
I gotta say that I loved the last mission with the mansion and mirrors, but I was hoping to actually fight a boss at the very end.

I did not use that many potions just katakan and thunderbolt. Than quen off adrenaline points through the passive skill and whirl. It's just the last incarnation that's really difficult as it is really fast and parties more.

I did not use that many potions just katakan and thunderbolt. Than quen off adrenaline points through the passive skill and whirl. It's just the last incarnation that's really difficult as it is really fast and parties more.
Oh ok. I have one branch of blue and the rest is green so my toxicity level is really high and my potions work for a really long time and I get to combine up tp 7-8 of them and it makes boss battles waaaaaay easier. But of course the best thing to do vs the "fear-boss" is to counter and strike. He gets stunned every single time you counter him. If you have a hard time with counter you can dodge him when he strikes and hit with axii and then 3 hard strikes in row then dodge to the left or right to aviod his counter and hit him 3 more times and do it over and over until he dies and the next guy wakes up.

The Caretaker isn't unbalanced, the reskinned kaer morhen armor is creatively unbalanced though.

Right....

so now I'm at the 5 ghosts. You suck CDPR. YOU S*CK.

I have 195% sign damage. I'm level 35. Mastercrafter everything. They drop my quen shield in one blow. Then they kill me in 3 hits. Quen alternative mode doesn't heal me. I don't have a high dps build. I'm fucked. I was a big fan of your work, bought the expansion. You let me down. Don't even play on hard. If I wanted to play dark souls I would have played dark souls.

You have a high DPS build... good for you.... I'm an old schoold rpg gamer and I like magic. You fucked me up the @ss. Quen don't work. Igni don't work. axii don't work. Thanks CDPR. Really. Thanks alot. Thanks a F*****king bunch. Whoever play tested this SHIT for ballance and different builds should be fired.

Why even have signs in this game??? They don't do anything anymore after you nerfed them. You nerfed igni, thanks. Then you have a boss that un-summons yrden. Thanks. and of course axii don't work on bosses. Yeah.. thanks a efffing million.

Obviously the only build that works is 300% attack damage and bear armour. Thanks CDRP, yeah really thanks alot. It totally makes sense that that you give us all these great signs. They're really great.... really. NOT.

Whats your problem?

You do know, that theres for a god damn reason in this game the possibility to use a freaking POTION for 1000 crowns, that makes it possible for you to completely RESET your build if you think, your current build just doesn't work, so that you can change your Combat Style to a far more DPS build to deal more Damage than you do now to minimize your as it looks full Sign Build to a better mix of Sword/Alchemy to be able to dish out alot more damage.
Also when you have beaten the game already and areLevel 35 ect. pp , you should have already more than enough money, if you constantly loot everythign and sell what you find, that you can easily craft yourself also Mastercrafted Witcher Armor of the other Schools, like Bear or especially Cat to be able to have much higher DPS

Stop whining and learn to ADAPT your build to the situation. Use Potions, Oils and Decocstions, that are helpful for the situation. Prepare yourself to the Battle simply better.

Signs were already from begin on by design the part of the witcher game, which was overpowered, what is the reason why stuff has had to get nerfed.
I have self even by far not as much as sign damage as you, and can practicaly steamroll the game by just letting enemies burn with Igni constantly to death.
Every Boss fight in this game where the enemy can burn is a freakign JOKE, because their health bars literally melt down from 100% to 0 in a matter of SECONDS, especially when you can successfulyl also poison and bleed your enemy together with burning!!.

Now think for it about a second please, how overpowered and way too easy it would be in the game, if you could just AXII every enemy in the game.
The game woudl be boring as hell and way too easy. The game needs challengingn enemies, because the vanilla game absolutely offers NO challengign enemies at all, not even on DEATH MARCH DIFFICULTY and from what I read here, you don't even play on DEATH MARCH, so please stop complaining about difficulty, when you don't even play the "hardest" difficulty that the game currently offers...

Anything under Death March is for real pussies that don't like challenges and just play only for the story and DM is far far faaaar away from being any Dark Souls kind of difficulty level.
If you have so much problems with those enemies on a non DM diffuculty level, then is just simply a learn to play issue and one most likely of not good enough prepairing for the fight and not really a question of your build...

But it is naturally alot easier to hold the finger of guilt towards the devs and balance testers, than to search for your own mistakes, right??? So typical... especially from people which obviously aren't used to difficult game content and not even play on the hardest difficulty level the game currently offers :rolleyes:

Also, once you get used to the enemy mechanics, everything becomes easier. You may have problems now for sure only, because it are new enemies and not like the millionth killed drowner or so, which fight tactic you know after a few kills already in and out, reading them and their behaviour like a book.

When you already have such major problems in an inferior difficulty level, then i'm really eager to get as quick as possible to that point in the game myself too on my DM playgame, maybe then I get finally a challenging battle for once, that doesn't die already after a few bursts of Igni, which requires of me to give everything I have to have a chance of winning :D

Right....

so now I'm at the 5 ghosts. You suck CDPR. YOU S*CK.

I have 195% sign damage. I'm level 35. Mastercrafter everything. They drop my quen shield in one blow. Then they kill me in 3 hits. Quen alternative mode doesn't heal me. I don't have a high dps build. I'm fucked. I was a big fan of your work, bought the expansion. You let me down. Don't even play on hard. If I wanted to play dark souls I would have played dark souls.

You have a high DPS build... good for you.... I'm an old schoold rpg gamer and I like magic. You fucked me up the @ss. Quen don't work. Igni don't work. axii don't work. Thanks CDPR. Really. Thanks alot. Thanks a F*****king bunch. Whoever play tested this SHIT for ballance and different builds should be fired.

Why even have signs in this game??? They don't do anything anymore after you nerfed them. You nerfed igni, thanks. Then you have a boss that un-summons yrden. Thanks. and of course axii don't work on bosses. Yeah.. thanks a efffing million.

Obviously the only build that works is 300% attack damage and bear armour. Thanks CDRP, yeah really thanks alot. It totally makes sense that that you give us all these great signs. They're really great.... really. NOT.
Chilllllll haha at least you are one of the ones still able to play your game.

---------- Updated at 02:25 PM ----------

Whats your problem?

You do know, that theres for a god damn reason in this game the possibility to use a freaking POTION for 1000 crowns, that makes it possible for you to completely RESET your build if you think, your current build just doesn't work, so that you can change your Combat Style to a far more DPS build to deal more Damage than you do now to minimize your as it looks full Sign Build to a better mix of Sword/Alchemy to be able to dish out alot more damage.
Also when you have beaten the game already and areLevel 35 ect. pp , you should have already more than enough money, if you constantly loot everythign and sell what you find, that you can easily craft yourself also Mastercrafted Witcher Armor of the other Schools, like Bear or especially Cat to be able to have much higher DPS

Stop whining and learn to ADAPT your build to the situation. Use Potions, Oils and Decocstions, that are helpful for the situation. Prepare yourself to the Battle simply better.

Signs were already from begin on by design the part of the witcher game, which was overpowered, what is the reason why stuff has had to get nerfed.
I have self even by far not as much as sign damage as you, and can practicaly steamroll the game by just letting enemies burn with Igni constantly to death.
Every Boss fight in this game where the enemy can burn is a freakign JOKE, because their health bars literally melt down from 100% to 0 in a matter of SECONDS, especially when you can successfulyl also poison and bleed your enemy together with burning!!.

Now think for it about a second please, how overpowered and way too easy it would be in the game, if you could just AXII every enemy in the game.
The game woudl be boring as hell and way too easy. The game needs challengingn enemies, because the vanilla game absolutely offers NO challengign enemies at all, not even on DEATH MARCH DIFFICULTY and from what I read here, you don't even play on DEATH MARCH, so please stop complaining about difficulty, when you don't even play the "hardest" difficulty that the game currently offers...

Anything under Death March is for real pussies that don't like challenges and just play only for the story and DM is far far faaaar away from being any Dark Souls kind of difficulty level.
If you have so much problems with those enemies on a non DM diffuculty level, then is just simply a learn to play issue and one most likely of not good enough prepairing for the fight and not really a question of your build...

But it is naturally alot easier to hold the finger of guilt towards the devs and balance testers, than to search for your own mistakes, right??? So typical... especially from people which obviously aren't used to difficult game content and not even play on the hardest difficulty level the game currently offers :rolleyes:

Also, once you get used to the enemy mechanics, everything becomes easier. You may have problems now for sure only, because it are new enemies and not like the millionth killed drowner or so, which fight tactic you know after a few kills already in and out, reading them and their behaviour like a book.

When you already have such major problems in an inferior difficulty level, then i'm really eager to get as quick as possible to that point in the game myself too on my DM playgame, maybe then I get finally a challenging battle for once, that doesn't die already after a few bursts of Igni, which requires of me to give everything I have to have a chance of winning :D
I agree. You didn't have to insult him like that though lol harsh.

---------- Updated at 02:42 PM ----------

I must admit, these boss fights made me realize something : I'm a real casual player. I'm always playing games on easy/normal because I prefer immersion over challenge blah blah... And. Wow. These boss fights nearly made me cry. Even on normal difficulty I died five times against Olgierd ghosts just for missing one parry (because this guy isn't joking when you make a mistake).

The Caretaker in particular made me realize one other thing : I absolutely hate being hit and stunned just after a dodge because ennemies have an incredible attack range (And a homing shovel). This guy is even more dreadful than a pack of over-leveled drowners in a corridor.
Nothing wrong with being casual. Don't let the elitists make you feel bad about it. I prefer DeathMarch but that doesn't make me any better than you which is how they like to portray it. You just enjoy the game differently.

---------- Updated at 02:54 PM ----------

Don't blame CDPR, blame those gamers who seem to think that playing a game needs to be an "achievement", and troll gaming forums demanding that game companies make their game harder, because of "muh challunj".

It's why we end up with reblancing and stupid boss level enemies.
I do agree that most people saying it is too easy are just people trying to be elitist. Putting themselves as better than others.

I personally had enough mage playing from other rpgs and I get the whole casting stuff from a safe distance thing. But signs never appeared to me more than buffing / debuffing tools in a Witchers arsenal and what is iconic about a Witcher is the two swords they carry. Of course if you played a sign build before this latest patch and the dlc and don't know about the changes it would be a rude awakening but you probably should notice relatively early all the nerfs to igni and yrden.

@ Ace: I don't think so, because what he litterally wants, is to get everything hand fed on the lower difficulty levels and that all signs should always work on all enemies, what would make the battle against such an enemy totally laughable if you could interrupt with axii the actions of the enemy practically every second ....

1) Relict Oil. Smear that shit all over your Silver. It makes Relicts cry and this hooded tryhard is no exception.
2) Northern Wind. That's how you murder cosplayers. He started summoning ghosts? Freeze him. Repeatedly.

Few more quick pointers:

- Dance around until he drops his shovel and starts casting the spell in front of him, then it's your time to strike
- It might sound ridiculous, but don't damage him too quickly, or he starts summoning the ghosts when high HP
- Be very careful when aiming Northern Wind, you have to hit The Caretaker, otherwise he will just start healing

You want to repeat the shovel session twice before he starts summoning the ghosts - roll, dodge and wait for it.
Once he summons them - don't let him heal. Freeze and two-three hits. Hitting bombs is easy if you stay close.

Link to the build that can give you 6800 DPS on lvl 38 (7600 on lvl 39). Out of storms, use Assassin's Gauntlets.
Decoctions: Water Hag & Katakan. Potions: Thunderbolt, Blizzard & Maribor Forest. White Raffard's for healing.

Last edited:
I personally had enough mage playing from other rpgs and I get the whole casting stuff from a safe distance thing. But signs never appeared to me more than buffing / debuffing tools in a Witchers arsenal and what is iconic about a Witcher is the two swords they carry. Of course if you played a sign build before this latest patch and the dlc and don't know about the changes it would be a rude awakening but you probably should notice relatively early all the nerfs to igni and yrden.

Yupp, been playing sign builds from the days of witcher 1. And quite successfully too. Other people have liked the oils and swords, I've always liked the signs and they have always worked in the past. Coming back to play HoS with 1.10 was indeed a very rude awakening.

I ran from him for a minute just cause I felt a controller slam coming on but by running away for a sec. I was able to regain my composure and then proceeded to slap his gob about!

---------- Updated at 10:30 PM ----------

Archgriffin decotion man. 10% ever time you use a hard strike and if you mix in a few potions to boost your stamina you can pretty much beat him in 30 seconds.

Its 5% damage bonus now, not 10% They've nerfed a lot of things with this latest patch which I think is ridiculous. To me, I've already got the game and it is what it is (besides bugs of course) and I don't want it changed especially making things weaker. If you think something is OP in a game and you want more of a damn challenge then either don't friggin use it or don't use it as much! I mean wtf, you idiots who complain about that shit and then the devs nerf because of your complaints and everyone has to suffer because you wanna sound like your just so great at every game and there's never a challenge. That's just crazy. Fix the bugs but leave the rest of the damn game alone............please!

Last edited:
I chuckled once I got to the boss fights mentioned above. Remember that one time when W3 came out and a bunch of people were upset that the game is too easy? Well bada bing bada boom. We spoke, cdpr listened. What did you guys think of those camps of flaming rose knights? They fucked my day up on several occasions when i started HoS. Big fan of the challenge though, all in all good job cdpr

He is annoying because he keeps healing and it's pretty hard to stop him and kill all the crap he summons, however his damage and attack pattern are pure crap even on death march, beat him twice so far on the first attempt once with a combat build and another with alchemy both on death march and he never got close to killing me but the fight took ages thanks to the annoying healing.

If his damage gets buffed this guy might find his place in Dark Souls :D.

Rofl, what? XD Caretaker was a great fight, and not nearly that bad. What kind of awful build are you running? Defeating him is pretty simple, just learn the mechanics. Ya, fights have mechanics now! You can't just spam whirl! Watch what he does and strike at opportune times, like when he does that massive cone slam. He is stunned after he does the ability and you can get off a solid combo before having to dodge the mini aoe (which you can easily hop out of). Hit and run is the name of the game here. Also, as mentioned above, Quen is your friend. If a hit is absorbed by quen, he will not heal from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom