Caretaker is WAAAAAAAAY unbalanced

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rofl, what? XD Caretaker was a great fight, and not nearly that bad. What kind of awful build are you running? Defeating him is pretty simple, just learn the mechanics. Ya, fights have mechanics now! You can't just spam whirl! Watch what he does and strike at opportune times, like when he does that massive cone slam. He is stunned after he does the ability and you can get off a solid combo before having to dodge the mini aoe (which you can easily hop out of). Hit and run is the name of the game here. Also, as mentioned above, Quen is your friend. If a hit is absorbed by quen, he will not heal from it.

Yes, yes you are Conan the Barbarian, The Dragon Born and The Ruler of Men. My build is awful, he's actually pretty simple and I can't play the game. Did you register only to say that?

Oh come on. An hour though?! I don't remember who wrote it, but an hour to fight Caretaker is insane lol. You don't have to be Conan either, which is the point of my post. Just learn the mechanics and figure out the best way to play against him. There are more ways to do it than I have listed as well. Someone above mentioned freezing during the ghost phase, which I actually thought was genius and would have certainly saved me some time.

Oh come on. An hour though?! I don't remember who wrote it, but an hour to fight Caretaker is insane lol. You don't have to be Conan either, which is the point of my post. Just learn the mechanics and figure out the best way to play against him. There are more ways to do it than I have listed as well. Someone above mentioned freezing during the ghost phase, which I actually thought was genius and would have certainly saved me some time.

This whole thing came about because I was playing a sign character and they nerfed signs in 1.10 and didn't bother to tell me, they also made caretaker immune to pretty much all signs.... so yeah great fun. I have since adapted and I'm now running a hybrid build. But welcome to the forums none the less.

This whole thing came about because I was playing a sign character and they nerfed signs in 1.10 and didn't bother to tell me, they also made caretaker immune to pretty much all signs.... so yeah great fun. I have since adapted and I'm now running a hybrid build. But welcome to the forums none the less.
Oh thanks :p Ya I suppose I would be disappointed if my build was randomly nerfed too. Can't say I understand why they would nerf signs anyway, not when spin-to-win still remains as strong as it is.

So I've just killed him and I think it was the easiest boss I met so far. (broken bones difficulty)
Teleporting mage was the most annoying, I spent ages trying just to get to him but when I did he was toast. thanx to igni
Toad was OK but pretty easy too with superior golden oriole (posion heals you) and igni.

As for the caretaker.. I dunno why he seems to be so challenging for some.. His attacks are slow, the charge is pretty easy to avoid especially if you use terrain (fight him around the well for instance or something), igni actually damages him, not much but still..I think it was 400+..

Roll,roll, dodge, have quen always active so that he won't heal himself if you get hit, when his shovel is stuck in the ground beat the shit out of him,roll out to avoid his self centered aoe. Rinse and repeat. Kill summoned minions (ignore the caretaker)with igni or simply press continuously left mouse button and Getalt starts killing them really fast
He dispells yrden but not the alternate one. It helps a bit interrupting his moves.
Apply superior relict oil on your silver sword.(+50% damage)

I have a sign build ,I don't have a single melee skill taken and it was pretty easy. if you keep focused.

Signs were already from begin on by design the part of the witcher game, which was overpowered, what is the reason why stuff has had to get nerfed.

Sorry but that is complete bollocks. You wanna know what's OP?Google witcher 3 7500 damage. The most OP builds are swords+alchemy. Signs don't even come close to that. Alchemy can even make you invulnerable for a long time if you do it right.

Last edited:
Please keep comments civil, and respect the opinions and gaming experiences of other players. One post has been deleted.

I have to say.. he was awesome, but very hard.. I did manage to beat him my first try, I got lucky! I was also playing on easy story difficulty, he was a little tough, for easy mode, but I liked the challenge, might be good for normal or hard. But not easy lol.. :)

I think caretaker fight was unique & fun .. using Quen , learning his attack patterns & killing the ghosts before he can kill them & heal .. all the boss fights in HOS were fun & we need much more boss fights in the second expansion ( Thank you CDP RED ) :smile:

This thread represents what´s depressing about actual players behavior. Somehow people today come with the idea that you can get your hands on something and for the 1st time you just nail it... like somebody that never tried skateboarding, and all of a sudden the guy just gets over and starts doing all impossible tricks at 1st.

The OP just was too confident on his equipment, and not on his skills, and just died many times enough to come here yelling that it's a WAAAAAAAY unbalanced.

Well, it isnt... It´s a very interesting enemy, both in mechanics and aesthetics. At somepoint caretaker looks like death, because it can bring back the dead and prey on his souls to get energy, not mentioning that every hit he gets more energy. Congrats CD Projekt for making it.

The OP should had paid attention to rolling and retreating, but something tells me he just went like mad after him, striking directly.
And then it´s easier to come here complaining because you didnt kill him on the 1st try.

Once I read a report that said that teenagers today graduate from highschool or college, they are entitled to believe that the world is lucky to have them there, and then reality check comes and they just get real. We see a bit of that on today´s gaming culture.

Again, congrats CD Projekt for making the caretaker, and mostly for not bending on these fail attempts to get everything easy.
If you want it... go get it! Couldnt get for the 20th time, try for the 21th till you can make it!

The OP just was too confident on his equipment, and not on his skills, and just died many times enough to come here yelling that it's a WAAAAAAAY unbalanced. Well, it isnt...!

Well - actually I'm the OP, hello there, and the thing that happened was that cdpr nerfed my sign build into the ground. And yes I was more than a little frustrated. And yes i think cdpr made a huge error, but other than that you're welcome to join in the discussion.

Well - actually I'm the OP, hello there, and the thing that happened was that cdpr nerfed my sign build into the ground. And yes I was more than a little frustrated. And yes i think cdpr made a huge error, but other than that you're welcome to join in the discussion.

what do you mean with nerfed to the ground ?
Signs are only a very minor form of magic. they are maybe good enough to steamroll some monster (eg set them on fire) but not to face high magical beeings like demons, golems or mages.

that's why you don't really do anything to bosses like caranthir, eredin or now the caretaker.
Compare signs with a spear.... you can go hunt a deer (monsters) with it (with a some effort to be honest) but it's pretty useless when you want to take down a tank (high magical beeings) with it.

You have to adapt (respec) or you have to be very skilled and patient to be successful. I've beaten every single Boss in the Game (even the DLC ones) with a pure magical build on deathmarch difficulty. It is possible

Caretaker is a little sissy, that tries too hard to be phhcary. Whacked him on DM on first attempt like nothing.
Olgeird on the other hand...
Yeah, the fight itself wasn't that hard, just had to be careful not to make mistakes, because it was a long fight. Just like Iris' ghost.
But Iris' Biggest Fear in the other hand... Yeah, it was tough...

i thought all the bosses in the expansion were really fun and well designed. id be real upset if these complaints influence CDPR and they make the next expansions boss encounters full of vacuous slashy-slash like many of the boss encounters in the base game were.

Sorry but that is complete bollocks. You wanna know what's OP?Google witcher 3 7500 damage. The most OP builds are swords+alchemy. Signs don't even come close to that. Alchemy can even make you invulnerable for a long time if you do it right.

Thats not bollocks, thats just simply the truth, and why Igni got nerfed so hard in the end, because the damage it dealt at the initial release of the game, was just ttoally absurd high and even in its current form with not even having maximum Sign Strength it can practically annihilate absolutely every enemy later in the game in a matter of seconds if you get them to burn, while alot of enemies even completely stop attacking you, when they burn, makign it even more powerful, than AXII

AXII simply can't effect all enenmies in the game, because when it would do this, this would make the whole game instantly so super absurdly piss easy, that even the most retardest blind crippled monkey could play this game through in DM while being distracted by bananas with just 1 hand usign the pad .../keybord... seriously

lol. just simple said, it is a design decision, that not all signs should always be able to affect the game's enemies for the reason of Game Balance and trying to make battlees more challenging, because othewise battles would go all the tinme only just AXII..hit enemy from behind..axii..hit enemy from behind..axiii till enemy death rinse and repeat!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...
This absolutely isn't what you want, or ???

Same goes with too strong yrdens making enemies move slow as snails, the same reason why its effect got nerfed, because with super high sign percent its movement reduction became simply too strong, that enemies feel like actually being time frozen. If you could do that with every enemy thats supposed to be a challenge, the game would be a total JOKE!
Same as much of a joke it would be, if you could aard just everything, even super huge and heavy enemies away from you, just makes no sense ....
----

The game needs more rebalancing, thats for sure by rather redesigning some of the skills and decoction effects and making in general trophies alot more interestign and actually part of geralts character progression and build diversity alot more.
The mutation system imo needs also a redesign where just for silly basic mutagens are all what you need and the monster mutagens are all totally useless and just needed once for the decocions to make.
Totally ridiculous and not very well thought out game design if you ask me ...and just said alot of wasted potential to make the gameplay of combat in Witcher 3 alot more interestign and fun, if alot of the skills, decoctions, trophies, runes ect. would be better designed and more interesting, because you become a real god walking among mere moratsal in this game, once you combat all things together, having best equistment full with perfect runes or now runewords everywhere, having 4 perfetc mutagens in the slots with alchemy improved max stat boosts of +60% everywhere, using maximum potions and decotions to further incrwease your DPS and to keep up adrenaline to be unkillable practically while dishing out massive amounts of damage that will kill mostly all enemies at the end game quickly, simpyl because the enemies aren't designed for such high deps, as most enemies at the end of the game simply have too less health to survive long such high dps even in DM, where as said even a not maxed out IGNI burn is already enough to kill mostly everythign in seconds...

I can kill with igni a cypclops, that is multiple levels higher than me with IGNI in a matter of just a few bursts, looking at them, how their hp melts down to 0 quickly, while just hiding behind someing and running in circles till they die and I have at the moment just only like 123% Sign Strength and not 195 or more like the OP, so just only a bit more as double as strogn than what we have at the begin of the game and thats already strogn enough to beat practicalyl everythign in the end game and you want to tell me, that Signs aren't just OP by design right now???

laughable. When everythign you need to be op is practicalyl just only 1 signle skill in the whole while, while you need to progress and do alot more to get good results with Sword/Aölchemy, where you need to invest alot more points into to be able to deal that high sword dps.

In a Effort to Result comparison, Signs would always beat due to this reason Sword/Alchemy on short to medium term, while Sword/Alchemy just outplays signs on the long run and is simply something you should change to once you have high enough level and collected power spot skill points to change your build to Sword/Alchemy, while reducing signs just to the least needed things - Igni and Quen, or even just only Qwen, because you can just make yourserlf also swords that let your enemies burn...
Going for Signs is just the best thing to do only at the begin of the game, because it has the best effort to power gain curve at the begin and is also quicker raised high, because it requires lesser skill points to get the second row of skills unlocked to get the alternate versions...

How did u feel about the Greatest Fear?

That one was also pretty bad but for some reason the caretaker was the worst for me. Btw. I just asked around the studio and it turns out there will be some balancing changes to all of the boss encounters in HoS with patch 1.11.

That one was also pretty bad but for some reason the caretaker was the worst for me. Btw. I just asked around the studio and it turns out there will be some balancing changes to all of the boss encounters in HoS with patch 1.11.

This may result in rather varied reactions, since some players found these bosses quite easy, while others -- like you and I -- seem to have had a bit more trouble with them. It appears the build very much determines the ease or difficulty of the fights.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom