Caretaker is WAAAAAAAAY unbalanced

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
That one was also pretty bad but for some reason the caretaker was the worst for me. Btw. I just asked around the studio and it turns out there will be some balancing changes to all of the boss encounters in HoS with patch 1.11.

Na I think they were perfect I love a challenge but the Toad could use a small buff, it was a cakewalk for me.

Guest 3837211

That one was also pretty bad but for some reason the caretaker was the worst for me. Btw. I just asked around the studio and it turns out there will be some balancing changes to all of the boss encounters in HoS with patch 1.11.

But you know what that means. You will get hundreds of people complaining that the bosses with patch 1.11 are too easy. :D

Quite satisfied with the balance on Blood and Broken Bones. Didn't feel too far above the rest of the encounters - a bit harder, but that's how bosses should be. The Caretaker actually was well designed: if you try to figure out his patterns, you will succeed, otherwise you'll have a hard time. The Worst Fear was not quite as good, due to some stunlock issues when you are staggered and not so obvious cues for its actions.

The Toad was the worst of them all, for me, because I couldn't figure out when and where it would jump - which it did an annoying lot, especially for a melee focused build - and overall I didn't feel very confident with its visual cues, hard to anticipate what it would do. Plus Geralt's contradictory conclusion that it doesn't mind fire, while actually it's one of your best tools to incinerate the gas. I resorted to cheesy stuff like freezing it time and again, without feeling I had actually mastered the encounter.

The main problem with Caretaker is the fact that he stuns and knockbacks which allows heal to hit you and heal.

Use the decoction which gives you near immunity to stun and other effects. He knocks and you instead of 4s, it takes 0,2s for you to get back into the fight. Keep quen up and thats it.

Olgierd ghosts are much harder because they do massive damage. Few things. Play it safe. Constantly dodge, roll, keep quen up. On the last two ghosts be even more careful because they can oneshot you without quen.

D
Na I think they were perfect I love a challenge but the Toad could use a small buff, it was a cakewalk for me.

Yea, please leave the game alone. Please! These complainers need to just figure it out because obviously it can be done. It was hard but so what? If you strategize like the game advertised from the beginning you will win. There are plenty of decoctions, potions, and builds that will allow you to win. I played on blood and broken bones and honestly thought about lowering my difficulty for caretaker, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I took a step away, thought about the fight, tried something different and voila, I won. Iris' worst fear I accidentally awoke them all at first, then the second time i just timed my parries well and whooped his ass.

---------- Updated at 03:17 PM ----------

Quite satisfied with the balance on Blood and Broken Bones. Didn't feel too far above the rest of the encounters - a bit harder, but that's how bosses should be. The Caretaker actually was well designed: if you try to figure out his patterns, you will succeed, otherwise you'll have a hard time. The Worst Fear was not quite as good, due to some stunlock issues when you are staggered and not so obvious cues for its actions.

The Toad was the worst of them all, for me, because I couldn't figure out when and where it would jump - which it did an annoying lot, especially for a melee focused build - and overall I didn't feel very confident with its visual cues, hard to anticipate what it would do. Plus Geralt's contradictory conclusion that it doesn't mind fire, while actually it's one of your best tools to incinerate the gas. I resorted to cheesy stuff like freezing it time and again, without feeling I had actually mastered the encounter.

I 100% agree with everything you said, I just couldn't see a pattern and fire did work to a degree. But I was only killed the first time, superior golden oriole is a life saver literally against him and the fight took me at least 10mins. Because he kept knocking me around.

I found that he only jumps if he's out of range or if you're trying to chain attacks on him. When you're out of range, he'll always jump towards you, but when you attack, he always stomps, which knocks you into range of his tongue attack. The breakthrough for me was realizing that his tongue attack is actually only mid-range (it looks like it can hit a lot further out then it really can), so you can lay an Yrden and bait him in from far away. Even a basic one should do. When he's locked down, you can get in 1-2 good hits, dodge the stomp, then rinse and repeat.

I prefer Golden Oriole to burning poison clouds, since I tend to blow myself up whenever I try that. Plus, you might as well get the cheese healing (I feel like he can't actually kill you if you have GO on). I suppose bomb-focused builds could probably rock this boss pretty hard as well because of all the poison he uses. Also, I didn't know the toad was a Cursed at the time, but I guess you could apply your own poison DoT effects on him this way.

The main problem with Caretaker is the fact that he stuns and knockbacks which allows heal to hit you and heal.

Use the decoction which gives you near immunity to stun and other effects. He knocks and you instead of 4s, it takes 0,2s for you to get back into the fight. Keep quen up and thats it.

Olgierd ghosts are much harder because they do massive damage. Few things. Play it safe. Constantly dodge, roll, keep quen up. On the last two ghosts be even more careful because they can oneshot you without quen.
I'd also recommend the auto-Quen decoction vs. both these guys. Both bosses are all about heavy stun/stagger effects and big burst damage.

From what I've read, there isn't really a good way to go toe-to-toe with the Caretaker, so the best thing to do is to wait until he stuns himself with his AoE attack. He also has trouble dealing with obstacles, so it's good to keep something between you and him until he does said AoE.

The Olgierd ghosts can be dealt with handily if you've got good ranged attacks. I burned him down with Igni, but a cluster bomb build could probably wreck him quick. Come to think of it, cluster bombs would probably wreck all the HoS bosses pretty easily.

Please don't nerf difficulty on the higher settings. The base game is already too easy. If people complain about difficulty, then you make medium and easy settings easier, but keep the challenge in death march and up - so basically what you guys did for TW2.

Last edited:
Please don't nerf difficulty on the higher settings. The base game is already too easy.
/signed

---------- Updated at 12:46 PM ----------

@X

I think that's the way it's supposed to be. I'm trying to only awaken one at the time but even so it's still damn hard.

Pretty much the only viable tactic for my build is quen --> riposte --> strike 3 times --> roll away

I might be able to make it.... but it is SHIT game design. REALLY fucking SHIT game design.

One mistake and I'm toast.

I expect you come back here someday when you're some experienced Witcher saying that you're ashamed of what you posted some time ago because they are all too easy now for you even on Death March. It is the experience that makes the Witcher, not the signs or swords. Don't blame the devs for your inexperience. Learn from it. Evolve. Perfect. Overcome.

AFAIK, Bosses are no more susceptible to sword damage than they are to signs. Even with high melee dps, players won't hurt bosses as much as any other regular enemy because of their high resistances to everything. Same way I cannot waltz through the game only using swords, don't expect to do it only with signs. (at least on Death March. Maybe it's possible on easy diff?)

Last edited:
please leave it as it is, it's perfect D:
if anything, the base game should've been like HOS expansaion.
WE.
WANT.
CHALLENGE.
if a few found the game too hard for them, they still have the lower difficulties. simple as that.

@Marcin Momot

Please ask the team to consider an old passage from BSN when Bioware started nerfing their games:

- Devs: Players, what is you profession?
- Players: Student, Father of 3, House wife, Dentist, etc. etc. etc.
- Devs: Gamers, what is your profession?
- Gamers: HAUL HAUL HAUL

(PLEASE do not nerf the game!)

I have mastercrafted full griffin gear, sign intensity 195%, level 35, use a lot of quen, beat imlerith on the second try, beat the toad prince on the first try, cannot beat the caretaker. His health just regenerates constantly (bug?). Then he summons dead souls or something and his health just regenerates even more. Impossible. Waaaaaaaay unbalanced.

Hmmm as far as I know I´ve seen the Pendell kneeling before Geralt and his last words were "noooo please nooo don`t use your Igni please don`t I swear I will be your humble servant please let me wash your dishes and scrub your back when you are in the bath tub and I will also lick the floor you walk on!"

(Sorry no screenshot I have a Bandicam video only of this fight)
But on the other hand.... I use THIS :D
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/m...r3/ajax/moddescription/?id=857&preview=&pUp=1
Don`t forget to make a lore conform and realistic 25.0f value instead of a cheating-like 100.0f, and don`t forget to endorse this mod at least 100.0f times if possible for giving Geralt his magic abilitys again which have been gruesomely castrated away from him during the last 5 Patches :D

Attachments

• Igni Power.jpg
    Igni Power.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 108
The expansion bosses crap all over the base game both in mechanic diversity and difficulty balance.

If they are gonna be nerfed because people can't be bothered to use things Geralt has at this disposal. I'm gonna flip a table. Difficulty levels exist for a reason.

I have love this boss fight so much (many tries, big sensations).

The weak difficulty of the bosses in the vanilla game was a big defect.

With Hos, there we are finally forced to use all the potential of the witcher (oil, bomb, sign, decoction,..) and it's great!!!!

The difficulty max is named " march of death " that has to be for nothing...
If it's still too difficult , we can always down the level of difficulty according to our real skill level...

Last edited:
it's like they haven't seen all the complaints about Eredin and the rest of the villains being too weak. :sad:
please CDPR, let the balancing of HOS as it is, and worry about the balancing of the main game, which we were begging for, for ages now.

Btw. I just asked around the studio and it turns out there will be some balancing changes to all of the boss encounters in HoS with patch 1.11.

I really really hope that with "balancing changes" you don´t mean that they will get easier?! This would ruin the experience. Me and (as much as I have read on social media) most players find that these bosses were actual really good! If I should say one thing that the expansion made better than the main game, it was for 100% the balancing of the bosses! They are strong and challenging, if a few people find that they are too hard, they shouldn´t maybe play on Death March :D If there is one single boss that is maybe sometimes a bit "bugged" (I wouldn´t say "too strong" or "op) it´s the caretaker, because sometimes he gets into a loop where he stuns you and heals up to full life, by killing a few ghosts. However most people beat him after a few tries. Finneas fist fight was way harder in comparision to that fight :D
Instead of that you could maybe make Eredin harder, because most people beat him after first try, even on Death march :)

If someone was too lazy what I wrote, this guy sums it up pretty well:
I have love this boss fight so much [...] The weak difficulty of the bosses in the vanilla game was a big defect.

I've stopped playing until they fix the caretaker boss. Badly designed - think they have been playing too much Dark Souls. If I wanted unfair boss battles I'd play that. CD Project did a wonderful job with the DLC but this has really let it down for me.

As previously noted, not a bug, nor is his regeneration of health a bug. This boss requires a strategic effort to beat. Others would complain just as loudly and with just as much justification if he were nerfed.

I know its not a bug. Just a poorly designed part of the game. I understand people wanting a bit more of a challenge but this doesn't give any but the most hardcore players any chance whatsoever.

I know its not a bug. Just a poorly designed part of the game. I understand people wanting a bit more of a challenge but this doesn't give any but the most hardcore players any chance whatsoever.

So... are you trying on the lowest difficulty setting?

The boss is not poorly designed at all. Not to your liking, maybe, but that doesn't mean poor. Many others enjoy having to show a bit of awareness and figuring out a strategy accordingly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom