CARS - Your pride and joy :)

+
CARS - Your pride and joy :)

New thread dedicated to all types of cars and motorcycles.

- What car are you driving? is it good?
- What car are you planning on buying?
- Perhaps you don't have driving license yet or you are new driver, any questions?
- What is your favorite/dream car?
- Do you have any interesting stories to tell e.g Car broke down?
- Are you following car news? Seen anything interesting in the media?
- Did you install new more powerful sound system or any other mods?
- Ferrari or Lamborghinii?
- TOP GEAR fan?

I stopped driving three years ago when I moved here. This is cheaper, and a lot less hassle.

Took Taxi in Philippines loads of times in 2007-2008, tho once I went alone to that big Mall in Manila guy charged me like 10$ for 10 minutes drive (it was way too hot to walk) My girlfriend at the time told me guy charged me too much and it suppose to be like 3$ max 5$. Great trip nevertheless :)

Yup, sounds like you were conned. It's not that common though, at least not in Cebu, where I am. I go everywhere by taxi, and I've only had a driver try to con me once in almost four years, and he was dumb enough to try it on the route from the mall to home, which I travel half a dozen times a week and where there was a security guard waiting who was happy to discuss the correct fare with him :)

It's around US$2.50 for the 20-minute trip to the mall here, including tip. If you've got a lot of places to go and want them to wait, they'll turn the meter off and you pay around US$10 per hour. It would be different if I wanted to travel around the island a lot, or if I went out a lot at night, but this suits me.

Don't have a car cause I'm incapable of driving one but I have a bike 2005 Kawasaki ZX12R. Handles well, a bit too heavy on the corners but very fast on the straight.

A few mods installed: Nitrous oxide system, custom exhaust, slight modifications to the gearbox and ECU flashed (RPM and speed limiters removed) and there are 2 turbochargers waiting to be installed. Too hesitant to do it now cause that would require to cut the bodywork a little.

Interesting stories? Last winter took it to see aurora outside the city. Took quite some time to start the engine back on, even thought I will have to push it all the way back home.

Pic is dated but the bike looks almost exactly the same. Just now it has orange headlights and dark orange taillights.

Attachments

• new tires.jpg
    new tires.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 86
It's around US$2.50 for the 20-minute trip to the mall here, including tip. If you've got a lot of places to go and want them to wait, they'll turn the meter off and you pay around US$10 per hour. It would be different if I wanted to travel around the island a lot, or if I went out a lot at night, but this suits me.

I've been in Cebu but I dont remember now, stayed in small hotel for one night on the way to Davao City > Paradise Island resport. We went around to shopping center In Cebu and I think and some restaurant. I saw some girl on the airport people were talking photographes of but I have no idea who she was. She said hi to me :)

Don't have a car cause I'm incapable of driving one but I have a bike 2005 Kawasaki ZX12R. Handles well, a bit too heavy on the corners but very fast on the straight.
Sick bike bro. I was thinking about getting bike licence but where I live it rains all the time not many people drive bikes here. Planning on getting newer bike?

I am driving crappy french car atm. changed rims and tinted the windows. changed shocks and lower it down a bit. thought about remapping ECU for 20-30 more BHP but nah not worth it, also added xenon lamps. I was thinking about changing whole exhaust system but I like it right now. it's very quiet inside the cabin even on motorway driving 70mph+
I had nice sound system but I gave it to my friend who bought himself new car not long ago so I am stack with 2x 70watt Kenwood speakers and Sony stereo :(
Considering buying SUV next winter.. dunno which one yet.

Sick bike bro. I was thinking about getting bike licence but where I live it rains all the time not many people drive bikes here. Planning on getting newer bike?

I am driving crappy french car atm. changed rims and tinted the windows. changed shocks and lower it down a bit. thought about remapping ECU for 20-30 more BHP but nah not worth it, also added xenon lamps. I was thinking about changing whole exhaust system but I like it right now. it's very quiet inside the cabin even on motorway driving 70mph+
I had nice sound system but I gave it to my friend who bought himself new car not long ago so I am stack with 2x 70watt Kenwood speakers and Sony stereo :(
Considering buying SUV next winter.. dunno which one yet.

Looks good, really like those rims and your sounds system is definitely better than mine cause I can't have that at all on a bike.

As for me I don't plan on getting anything newer I really like how this bike looks. 19000 RPM and 340+ km/h is fine and upcoming turbos should dampen the sound cause it sounds painful now. Aprilia is too expensive, Hayabusa maybe if I brick the engine but hope it won't happen. I should probably practice driving a car

Looks good, really like those rims and your sounds system is definitely better than mine cause I can't have that at all on a bike.

As for me I don't plan on getting anything newer I really like how this bike looks. 19000 RPM and 340+ km/h is fine and upcoming turbos should dampen the sound cause it sounds painful now. Aprilia is too expensive, Hayabusa maybe if I brick the engine but hope it won't happen. I should probably practice driving a car
I heard about helmets with build in speakers.. are they any good? WOW awesome 340 km/h? Dude that like double of what I am driving. I dont go faster then 120mph on motorway, speed cameras everywhere :) Yes get yourself some 10-15 years old japanese RWD car and mod it, mod it, mod it.

Great idea, but I am suprised no one has cars at all? Really? Man when I was a student I bought Renault Clio 1.5 diesel with 150000 miles on the clock for 500 euros, best car ever made last me for about year and half until clutch broke and repair would cost me more then the car. For 10-15 euro I drove if for at least one week to Uni, work and training. super economical! Around 50 mpg ...urban.

Now I drive not as good 2001 Celica, its not bad but it has very stiff suspension even for a sports car you can feel every pothole. It's fast but noisy inside the cabin, radio is pointless.

I am dreaming about new Z4 in white ^_^ oh man that things is beautiful. Just look at it!

Mine is the car that looks like the box it came in:

"The Few, The Loud, The Tenors"

But seriously, a starting five and their gear can fit in this car, or you and four buddies and enough beer for a weekend.

There is a point in practical cars, one day I am looking at buying something like mini SUV. It's always good to know you have enough space in the car when you are traveling with friends or moving places. We once hired a VAN when we were moving house, oh what a headache. Volvo XC60 or 90 are really good cars.

Great idea, but I am suprised no one has cars at all? Really?
What can you do, not every one can afford it or rather spend it on other things. Cars are cheap but insurance isn't especially for first time buyers. Young drivers like to rev the car and drive carelessly which causes accidents. I was lucky to have always someone to tell me off when I drove too fast :) My car is slow but I drive it like it's GTR ha.

This was my first car. (Not the actual car, but one like it)

It was older than me, but hadn't earned "classic" status. It belonged to my mother, but after she failed her test for the fourth time, she gave up and told me I could have it when I passed my own test. It definitely made sure I didn't drive too fast in that glorious first year after learning to drive.

I drive a 2005 Pontiac Vibe which I bought used from a rental agency. To me cars are about getting you from point A to point B without breaking down every few hundred miles. The Vibe just got us from California to the east coast, and I've had to sink very little repair cost into it, so no complaints.

@veleda Nice practical cars, those. My mother and brother-in-law have them too. They carry an amazing amount of stuff and last approximately forever.

(Shame about GM running both NUMMI and Pontiac into the ground. I suppose, since Tesla took over the NUMMI plant, it hasn't been a total loss.)

Yep NUMMI was just up the road from us. It's a metaphor, I guess, that the practical was taken over by the trendy but impractical. I was worried about not being able to get replacement parts, but so far hasn't been an issue.

The Vibe also has some very nice styling, I think it looks better than its twin, the Toyota Matrix, though it's starting to look dated now. The dash is also very practical and neat. It was a pain when we were on vacation and had to drive other kinds of cars.

Last edited:
I drive Toyota Corolla (2000). Bought it long time ago, and not planning on buying anything new. I love this car. It helped me make through college and grad school, and never failed on me. I went several times to SF, to Las Vegas and all around Nevada, to Oregon, to Arizona, New Mexico and Texas, and recently across the border to Mexico. Now I have a bit over 300,000 miles on it, and, hopefully, my car will eventually make 1,000,000 and into a Guinness book. We had so many experiences together that I'll never give her up for some new and shiny tin can, be that even damn Ferrari.
(Well, Ferrari can be my second, if to think about it. I don't think my baby-corolla would mind. :) )

Now I have a bit over 300,000 miles on it, and, hopefully, my car will eventually make 1,000,000 and into a Guinness book. We had so many experiences together that I'll never give her up for some new and shiny tin can, be that even damn Ferrari.
(Well, Ferrari can be my second, if to think about it. I don't think my baby-corolla would mind. :) )

Ha I never met anyone who did 300k. I used to drive Gold TDi every now and then that had 220k but was falling apart slowly. I dont think you can achive 1,000,000 miles dont try it :) change it to something more recent. Ferrarri? nah M5 is way better choice :)

Yep NUMMI was just up the road from us. It's a metaphor, I guess, that the practical was taken over by the trendy but impractical. I was worried about not being able to get replacement parts, but so far hasn't been an issue.

Its always good idea to have a car mechanic friend. Talk to your friends I bet someone knows someone that can help you with that when you break down. Mechanics know places where they can get cheaper parrts, sometimes they get used parts and they charge you for new.

Thats how I met my current mechanic he always gives me better deal and does car servicing for free. About 2 months ago my engine mount broke and timing belt was gone! He fixed it for me for about 200-250$ including parts in 24 hours.

My brother, whose house I'm living in currently, is a mechanic, so no probs there. He doesn't work professionally any more but is always good for a tune up.

Top Bottom