Casual Matches - Suddenly Ranked

+
Casual Matches - Suddenly Ranked

I don't know if it's just my bad luck, but ever since the last update i'm constantly getting slammed against MUCH higher rank opponents. The last "Casual" matches i've had were against people several ranks higher than me. It's getting really frustrating.
In the past Casual matches were fairly balanced, but now that seems to have changed for some reason. In a ranked match I'd be matched against a player of equal rank. So me rank 2 against another 2 or similar. Now in Casual, which is supposed to be more relaxed fun, I'm getting matched against a rank 5 or rank 8 player. Now that just doesn't seem right.

Last edited:
dunadan5;n8279960 said:
I don't know if it's just my bad luck, but ever since the last update i'm constantly getting slammed against MUCH higher rank opponents. The last "Casual" matches i've had were against people several ranks higher than me. It's getting really frustrating.
In the past Casual matches were fairly balanced, but now that seems to have changed for some reason. In a ranked match I'd be matched against a player of equal rank. So me rank 2 against another 2 or similar. Now in Casual, which is supposed to be more relaxed fun, I'm getting matched against a rank 5 or rank 8 player. Now that just doesn't seem right.

Nothing has changed, it's just that you couldn't see opponent's rank in casual before the last patch., so now that you can you think it changed.

I think I could see the rank even before that patch. But even if perceptions do factor in, the fact is that my win/loss rate has dropped a whole lot. So much so that I'm playing much rarer. That's how frustrating it got. And it did basically change overnight, with one of those patches. So i do blame something in the matchmaking, since that's the only thing i can think of that could cause such a massive change in no time flat.

Edit: The key piece of evidence for me is that suddenly, the Casual matches have gotten Much harder than the Ranked ones.

Last edited:

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
dunadan5;n8316000 said:
Edit: The key piece of evidence for me is that suddenly, the Casual matches have gotten Much harder than the Ranked ones.

New patch, new deck, new chances, more ways to win and even more ways to lose. I have noticed that casual got a bit more difficult. Regardless, it should even out after a while.

Matchmaking in casual does seem to have skewed slightly. I have never played a ranked game, casual only, and pre-patch the matchmaking was probably the best it had been since the Beta started (consistently matches found in <15sec were +/- 5levels, >15sec up to +/- 10 levels hadn't seen a 0.8.35 style match with > 25 levels disparity in a while). I'm currently level 38, and since the patch I have seen matches against players level 15 to 60.

That said, I'm still fairly sure casual matchmaking has nothing to do with rank (since I have never played ranked, I am a null rank 1) since I have seen matches against nearly every rank 1-15. So dunadan5 you may want to note levels, not rank when checking who you are matched against in casual.

You used to win a lot so your MMR increased and you are now against better players.

You were probably using 1-2 decks you were very familiar with and they are not as effective in the new patch at higher MMR's.

Top Bottom