CD.. I wanna play the story before you changed it for Keanu..

+
I really hope we get a DLC that focus on those 6 months with Jackie. Jackie is so much better than Johnny. I wanted to shoot myself halfway through the game. Johnny is so annoying and narcissistic. I wish there was a setting to just turn him off.

Not sure how I get your point about content being changed for Keanu : do you have any source ? Where does this come from ?

I actually love the game / story the way it is, even if many things could be improved (especially the ending and what's happening NEXT !) : what content did you all have in mind ? What did you expect based on the 2018 trailer ?

I don't need a DLC detailing the 6 months with Jackie if they don't allow Roleplay choices to matter for the characters we love.

Ex : Saving Jackie or Evelyn, or building relation with the Gangs and having their support against Arasaka.

You do have the option of going alone into Arasaka....You know when you side with them and end up with your mind trapped in their prison waiting on a new body that will never come.... The story is meant to show the bleakness of the city. The phone messages you get while the credits roll show you that all the characters you interacted with care about V and not Johnny. Even when Johnny gets your body and lives the characters call to talk to V. I really don't know what game you played...
You are right.. the story.. not your choice.. but the stories choice.. you wrote the answer yourself... the story's choice.. not Vs...

Well the game it's not dead...they've build very strong foundation, City looks amazing, I've never saw something like that and plus in game music is really really good. So...if CDPR will decide to put "Wood in fire" and actually constantly support the game with new content even if it's small content like just 1 new weapon, one day it will become one hell of the game.

Plus let's say they were serious about multiplayer. They could put multiplayer race, shoot contest, parkour, seek and destroy, protect checkpoints. Those little games where you don't need to see other players constantly, but when you want to play with others, you just need to join a game :)

I don't think Johnny wasn't there at anytime even before Keanu Reeves. 2018 trailers just don't talk about story or anything. It's true that they changed some 3rd person cutscenes to 1st person dialogues but I believe it's more immersive than changing it all the time.
I enjoyed so much Silverhand's flashback when we play with him and we see a 2023 when there's not so many people using machines in itselves.
I think this history is too short, about 20/25 hours to found the first opportunity of ending the game, but in my opinion it's far from being boring at sometime.
I only played with female V and started as nomad. I expected at some point we could use help from guys from the family V left, but they're just forgotten.
But I found Johnny storyline great I don't think this was inserted there just to put Keanu in the game.
Post automatically merged:

Well the game it's not dead...they've build very strong foundation, City looks amazing, I've never saw something like that and plus in game music is really really good. So...if CDPR will decide to put "Wood in fire" and actually constantly support the game with new content even if it's small content like just 1 new weapon, one day it will become one hell of the game.

Plus let's say they were serious about multiplayer. They could put multiplayer race, shoot contest, parkour, seek and destroy, protect checkpoints. Those little games where you don't need to see other players constantly, but when you want to play with others, you just need to join a game :)
I think multiplayer is very serious. I found at the credits a multiplayer team so it is really being developed.

48 minute demo.. before the song chippin in Vs apartment when it says that its been a year since Jonny made his last ride and in his honor they are gonna play the song chippin in... ENOUGH FOR YOU???
Still inconclusive IMO

I'd love some content relating to V dealing with the upper echelons of society (besides Arasaka), like celebrities and other company heads or high-ups, and maybe some stuff to do with that ZiggyQ or whatever his name is - that blue-haired host of that talk show. He was quite a character and fun to watch. Maybe have V get some quests from celebrities who need shit done, and end up getting involved with their private lives a bit or whatever. Maybe have a fling or romance here or there.
It's just one side of night city I think would be interesting to explore. :)

Last edited:
It does feel they pivoted away so much from a personal RPG to an adventure with Silverhands at some point in the last 18 months. The main quest feels more like a Telltale game than say Mass Effect, Dragon Age or Witcher.

I love Cyberpunk 2077, I really do. I love the character of Silverhands, and the dynamic between them and V is an interesting one...

..but those endings are lacking and have little to do with choices in the lead up, they're mostly in a vacuum. The world hints so strongly at the vast lore you never get to see, the broad world dynamics you'll never engage with, the gang rivalry that outside of a few scripted locations doesn't exist.

I just want to explore where you build those relationships and the world the lore touches on.

All of the strongest parts of the game are the ones with other characters, Misty, Vic, Jackie, River, T-Bug, Judy, Panam, Mitch - the list goes on. It's quite telling of a game - that you could cut any references to Silverhands out of the game - and it wouldn't feel weaker because of it.

Did they change the game to be, as above "The ballad of Johnny Silverhands"? Maybe, will we ever know? Not likely.

What I think many of us do know though, is that this game clearly had a massive change in direction relatively recently - whether it was nowhere near a ready state and they had to release something, or management demanded change, or even the potential crunch just made the artists involved stop caring - who knows - but Cyberpunk 2077 is a game that hints at something awesome beneath the surface waiting to let loose... and I don't think I'm the only one who thinks if anyone can let it out - it's CD Projekt.

Jeez CDProjekt can't win. Whatever they do there's gonna be moaning. This whole Cyberpunk debacle makes me think that gamer feedback might actually be useless. And I don't mean fixing bugs, I mean the broader feedback.

All these entitled opinions about things that aren't even confirmed fact are just ridiculous. Everybody is demanding something, almost no 2 people can agree, especially in terms of story. You know guys at some point a direction has to be taken and not everyone is going to be happy.

Luckily the main story we have now is some of the best writing and voice acting in recent years. The game has many faults, but the story isn't one of them. And whatever they decided for the future, the writers and cast have earned my respect.

If anyone genuinely believes that any alleged main quest changes related to Keanu would somehow have had significant impact on the completely unrelated side quests and world design... well, I don't know what to say, really. Very vivid imagination on some people. The side questing and activities are pretty bland, but I don't think it's Keanu's fault.

Also, not sure how people are making conclusions that a theoretical 2018 version of the game, which was almost certainly a vertical slice with very little content outside of what we saw in the 48-minute demo (which is actually in the game...), has somehow been taken away from them.

That said...

The game has many faults, but the story isn't one of them.

Eh, to each their own, I think the story's pretty unremarkable. I agree that some of the writing and voice acting is strong, though. Also agreed on some of the criticism being way overblown or baseless (as is evident in this very thread).

Last edited:
Oh, don’t forget that six month montage of V and Jackie. That would have been some really special content right there, and I don’t get why it’s gone.

That six month montage of V and Jackie is there, just after the failed carjacking.

Not sure how I get your point about content being changed for Keanu : do you have any source ? Where does this come from ?
I do believe CDPR admitted as much themselves in an interview. Supposedly Silverhand's / Keanu's role was originally a lot smaller, but they liked working him with so much the story got changed to give him more screen-time. Of course if this is really true (and not just PR talk) is impossible to tell given that developer leads themselves said a lot of things about the game in even the most recent interviews that turned out to be at best misleading and at worst outright lies.

I think the problem is also relying on the planed DLC story. We don't know what it's gonna be about. So the endings all leading to the same fate for V. Was required for the planned addons. Or it wouldn't work. The problem is they can't speak about it. Because it would act as a spoiler. So we have endings that don't really change from your actions. On top of failed promises and depth to the other areas of the game.

If the game had delivered on the choices, customization, world building. Cyberware etc. The endings would probably be more accepting. But as it is now. With the missing material. And the lack of choice. Everyone got soured on what happened. I don't have a problem with the game ending on a bad note. And if V dies, V dies. If not, great. But the other things are unacceptable.

The story as being centered around the inevitability of death and how one will need to accept that as best as one can, is imo quite well done and integrated in enough side content, so that it doesn't feel as tacked on as it would be, if this was a last minute decision.
But that's quite speculative of me.

But it's not nessecarily the story i'd have liked - as i've just consumed media doing it even better.
What i think is really unfair, is making the discussion about Keanu Reeves. He's not making decisions for CDPR - so even if they decided last minute to make it all about Johnny Silverhand and therefore had these endings and themes, it's no fault of him. And i'm peronally quite happy with his performances.

i don't believe the swap theory. and i'm not convinced by one youtuber's speculations. there were many holes in his arguments. the scene featuring dexter deshawn and the arasaka heist were quite old. i'm pretty sure they had an established story quite a ways back involving johnny silverhand and soulkiller. i mean it's kind of a given considering how heavily soulkiller featured in the overall lore of the cyberpunk ip

The story as being centered around the inevitability of death and how one will need to accept that as best as one can, is imo quite well done and integrated in enough side content, so that it doesn't feel as tacked on as it would be, if this was a last minute decision.
But that's quite speculative of me.

But it's not nessecarily the story i'd have liked - as i've just consumed media doing it even better.
What i think is really unfair, is making the discussion about Keanu Reeves. He's not making decisions for CDPR - so even if they decided last minute to make it all about Johnny Silverhand and therefore had these endings and themes, it's no fault of him. And i'm peronally quite happy with his performances.

I think it's pretty obvious the story was about Soulkiller even before Keanu Reeves joined the project. If there was ever anything else, there's no trace of it in the game. Nothing at all. It's pretty easy to tell because if you remove Johnny Silverhand from the story, the story still works. Heck in most of the main story quests Johnny Silverhand is just a voice in your head. Nobody else hears him, nobody else knows he's there until way later in the story where you finally get asked about it.

Most of the time all people know is that the chip is killing you, only V knows about Johnny Silverhand.

If anything the story got better after Keanu Reeves joined the project. Even if he was initially just planned for just a couple flashbacks, after he agreed to more work the dude added extra spice to literally everything in the game. The main story, the side story, he's even in the gigs bantering with V.

Take Johnny Silverhand away, everything in the game still works, it's just more boring.

I think it's pretty obvious the story was about Soulkiller even before Keanu Reeves joined the project. If there was ever anything else, there's no trace of it in the game. Nothing at all. It's pretty easy to tell because if you remove Johnny Silverhand from the story, the story still works. Heck in most of the main story quests Johnny Silverhand is just a voice in your head. Nobody else hears him, nobody else knows he's there until way later in the story where you finally get asked about it.

Most of the time all people know is that the chip is killing you, only V knows about Johnny Silverhand.

If anything the story got better after Keanu Reeves joined the project. Even if he was initially just planned for just a couple flashbacks, after he agreed to more work the dude added extra spice to literally everything in the game. The main story, the side story, he's even in the gigs bantering with V.

Take Johnny Silverhand away, everything in the game still works, it's just more boring.

Agreed i guess?

In the sense that it also could have been Spider Murphy or any of the other people we didn't get a update on what happenend to them, sure.
There's quite a lot, as far as i experienced it - the Delamaine questline final comes especially to mind - about mind mingling, as that i don't think it was solely Soulkiller and not about some mind melting. As to them not reacting towards Johnny - well true, but than again i'd say the whole question who you are, is pretty much up to the player to decide and not towards people telling you if you're sounding like Johnny or not, or something.

Johnny Silverhand is simply an obvious choice to represent CP as world, given his iconic status, how he already was intermingled with Arasaka and Soulkiller. Most obvious maybe next to Alt.

As i've written before somewhere. I'd loved Johnnys construct solely as a guide and the full game being more of a introduction to Cyberpunk (2020 or 2077 now) and Night City.
Bonus points if they'd found a way to have Arasaka sell edited versions of Johnnys construct as commercial tourist guide and your version being faulty in that it wasn't altered and furious about Arasaka and him loosing so big...
And the final question more about being what and who you'd be willing to sacrifice to pull off something like Heist successfully.

Top Bottom