CD Projekt New Franchise ...

+
My humble thank you also to both members for offering their absolutely valuable help in this.

Thank you and happy new year to all!

gregski said:
It's a matter of context I guess. Plus Polish is 2nd or 3rd most difficult language in the world, so yeah, it can be tricky ;)

@ Reod: no problem mate, glad we cleared this thing up, best wishes to you too ;)

That particular thought is difficult to express well in English, too. Thank you for clearing up the confusion. It's good to hear CDPR will be developing a new property of their own making. With the detail work that went into the first two Witcher games, it should be a feast for the eyes.

(For the overcurious, in English the problem is not due to tenses but to the antecedent of a pronoun also being the object of a preposition.)

gregski said:
.... Polish is 2nd or 3rd most difficult language in the world, so yeah, it can be tricky ...

So, when Roche says or "Work with US", he is holding back the laughter ?

I thought there were rumors of an RPG based on the works of prominent Polish Sci-fi author, can't remember his name. I think a sci-fi/Cyberpunk RPG or something similar would be just grand. Snap to it, CDPR.

jjavier said:
So, when Roche says or "Work with US", he is holding back the laughter ?

Maybe; the alumni of the intensive Polish course at the Defense Language Institute call themselves "survivors". To get an idea just how hard Polish is for English speakers, see the 95-page(!) "Polish in a Nutshell" at http://polish.slavic.pitt.edu/firstyear/nutshell.pdf

slimgrin said:
I thought there were rumors of an RPG based on the works of prominent Polish Sci-fi author, can't remember his name. I think a sci-fi/Cyberpunk RPG or something similar would be just grand. Snap to it, CDPR.

I would have no problem with a sci-fi or cyberpunk style RPG with CDP-R taking the helm. In mind sort of Star Ocean/Phantasy Star/Dues Ex/System Shock/Wild Arms and Buck Rogers:CtD type titles spring to mind.

I am however a great fan of western (wild west) style RPG fan so would love one of those but do not know of any series from polish authors of any kind which has written a truly great one of same nature. Medieval has been done so much these days aswell as traditional LotR style ones so really want something different, though I am more a fan of The Hobbit than LotR by far.

In a perfect world I would want a Dark Crystal RPG done epically.

Seriously guys? You claim to be Native Polish speakers and you can't understand a simple sentence?

Podczas ogłaszanej prawie miesiąc temu strategii Zarząd CD Projekt RED informował o rozpoczęciu prac nad drugą franczyzą. Ma ona być komplementarna do serii gier o Wiedźminie i to jest cel nadrzędny. Wspomniana seria gier nie jest tworzona od zera, bo jest oparta o cykl powieści Andrzeja Sapkowskiego, co się doskonale sprawdziło

It clearly states that new series will be based on Spakowski novels. I don't know if author of this sentence wanted to say this, but he did.
New game will be part of new series of games, that's why there is "Wspomniana seria gier" ("Mentioned series of games"). It's not about The Witcher because there is "nie jest tworzona" ("is not created from scratch"), not "była tworzona" ("was not created from scratch"). You might say that present time is used because The Witcher series is still being created, but last part of sentence is about The Witcher and it's in past tense. You cannot use 2 different times to describe one game. That's why first part of sentence is about new game, and last part is about TW.
I'm curious about this part "a ona być komplementarna do serii gier o Wiedźminie" ("complementary"), that might mean that new series will be a spin-off. I know that's a long show, but who knows? :)

PS. Sorry for my poor English ;)

GuyN said:
Maybe; the alumni of the intensive Polish course at the Defense Language Institute call themselves "survivors". To get an idea just how hard Polish is for English speakers, see the 95-page(!) "Polish in a Nutshell" at http://polish.slavic.pitt.edu/firstyear/nutshell.pdf

Sentence intonation?
Is something like accentuation through a sentence instead a word?
It seems that involves not just volume, but pitch.
And this is the kind of things that changes from region to region inside a country.

Let me see again ...

... yes, he is holding back the laughter.

I must say that this entire thread has confused the jedabbers out of me..... :confused:

Maybe it would have helped if I didn't sleep through polish class in high school

Forum veteran
Am I the only one who hopes that CDPR makes a steampunk game? Something like Arcanum with Witcher 2 graphical detail? I would die of happiness.

volvox said:
Seriously guys? You claim to be Native Polish speakers and you can't understand a simple sentence?

It clearly states that new series will be based on Spakowski novels. I don't know if author of this sentence wanted to say this, but he did.
New game will be part of new series of games, that's why there is "Wspomniana seria gier" ("Mentioned series of games"). It's not about The Witcher because there is "nie jest tworzona" ("is not created from scratch"), not "była tworzona" ("was not created from scratch"). You might say that present time is used because The Witcher series is still being created, but last part of sentence is about The Witcher and it's in past tense. You cannot use 2 different times to describe one game. That's why first part of sentence is about new game, and last part is about TW.
I'm curious about this part "a ona być komplementarna do serii gier o Wiedźminie" ("complementary"), that might mean that new series will be a spin-off. I know that's a long show, but who knows? :)

PS. Sorry for my poor English ;)
At first i thought that also thats why i made this thread but gregski and on polish side at forum it was explained.

Read gregski post (that one with colors :D ) , then look HERE.

slimgrin said:

There was one prominent Polish sci-fi author and it was Stanislaw Lem. His most famous book was Solaris, I read a few of his books as a teenager and they were impressive, I have to admit. More about Lem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanis%C5%82aw_Lem

gregski said:
There was one prominent Polish sci-fi author and it was Stanislaw Lem. His most famous book was Solaris, I read a few of his books as a teenager and they were impressive, I have to admit. More about Lem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanis%C5%82aw_Lem

I remember watching the film 2002 version of that. Was not really that impressed but maybe that was just poor casting/acting and translation. Never read the books so do not know if was just poor port to film.

227 said:
Am I the only one who hopes that CDPR makes a steampunk game? Something like Arcanum with Witcher 2 graphical detail? I would die of happiness.
If they made anything steampunk I would die a happy death *__*

Dona said:
If they made anything steampunk I would die a happy death *__*

My first preference would be fantasy, but steampunk would be a very, very acceptable second choice. Anything except sci-fi.

dragonbird said:
My first preference would be fantasy, but steampunk would be a very, very acceptable second choice. Anything except sci-fi.
Fantasy/steampunk fusion would be the best :D

Agreed, no sci-fi, I would lose my interest if they went that route.

Hussite Trilogy sounds kind of like the Witcher [reusing assets? lol] I don't know if I wanna hear real world place in my fantasy game [I just know that it's historical]. Neuroshima sounds a lot like Fallout New Vegas.

Whatever CDPR decides to make I just want it to be convincing like The Witcher. I'm hoping they don't go with cartoony exaggerated storylines and art direction like so many other studios are doing.

Bad to know that Polish is hard for Poles too, so I give up in trying to learn it

Good steampunk games lack in the market, so I'd like to play one at least once in my life.

Ooooh, I'll be expecting an official statement.

I'm not particularly interested in a cyber-punk game...... I would preffer a sci-fi game or an universe inspired by any of the major mythologies...... Or even modern world.... I would love something in the modern world, with spies, conspiracies.... It could be a similar setting to Alpha Protocol (Which I abandoned because I couldn't with the hacking mini game) or even the Cold War.

Anyway it seems it will be another Spakowski based game..... fine, nothing against it but I would like to see the people from CDPR develop their own universe.

Top Bottom