CD PROJEKT RED and R.TALSORIAN GAMES Announce The Witcher Role-Playing Game

+
I don't know how I didn't see this coming since CDPR was already working with Talsorian, but it's an awesome collaboration of Ips. And great build up for Cyberpunk.

Last edited:
oh dear... talsorian... an RPG... and a release date. where's the trigger warning mods? talsorian and their release schedules are source of emotional trauma for many of us :mad:

As you play your character, you try to think as they would, act as they would, and react as they would. Eventually, your alter ego will develop an entire set of mental and emotional reflexes influenced by, but distinct from, your own.

You'll also do some cool stuff - fight the bad guys, or the good guys, triumph over adversity, supprt or even betray your team, probably die.

Role Playing Games. They are a lot of fun!

Or as Mike Pondsmith (creator of Cyberpunk 2020 and head of R. TALSORIAN Games, for everyone here who didnt knew it) describes it, PnP Role playing is …

The most fun you can have with any small group of people that doesn’t involve sex, drugs or musical instruments.

The Witcher Role-Playing Game is currently slated for a mid 2016 release. More information about the system, price and availability will be provided at a later point in time.
This is a Pen and Paper RPG

That sounds interesting.
You could sell it at GOG in a PDF format - everyone interested will own a printer and buy the dice.

Hell, contact some other PnP publishers and ask if they'd be interested too... Could get a whole separate tab in GOG for those. Cyberpunk 2020, Shadowrun (which already exists in PDF since HBS offered it to their SR:HK backers), G.U.R.P.S., World of Darkness, Paranoia, Numenera, Rune Quest... Probably not a topseller tab, but who knows - I bet it would gather more interest than the "movies" GOG has. Nothing much to lose anyway.

Is something like that even possible?

Last edited:
I hope this will allow us to create characters within our own Witcher themed adventures, rather than being forced to only play as ones from the main game universe, as much as I love Gearlt, Ciri and the rest, I don't want to play as them when playing pen and paper. But this does also raise several interesting questions.

As this will be based on the Cyberpunk 2020 system, a system I've not personally played, but doing some research found it to be based on a skill based system rather than leveling up, does this mean the game will be D6?

Second, will the game have a bestiary that includes additional monsters that we've seen in books but not the game and some that have not be seen in either? Will there be other playable races other than Human, Elf and dwarf?

And finally, I assume 'witcher' will be a class, but do we get to choose which school we come from? and will the books fill out any missing details from the other three that were not mentioned in the book.

This sounds great but I do hope we're not limited to just playing as "Witchers", it would be amazing to RP as a mage in this universe.

we are pleased to announce an agreement to develop The Witcher Role-Playing Game

Why not simply translate and hot-fix the original tabletop from 2001? The one that had entire crunch and rules set to reflect all the different aspects of the setting? The one that codified the setting?

And then, striking a deal with Talsorian Games? When it will come out? In 2030?

I completely don't get this as marketing move. At all.

I hope this will allow us to create characters within our own Witcher themed adventures, rather than being forced to only play as ones from the main game universe, as much as I love Gearlt, Ciri and the rest, I don't want to play as them when playing pen and paper. But this does also raise several interesting questions.

As this will be based on the Cyberpunk 2020 system, a system I've not personally played, but doing some research found it to be based on a skill based system rather than leveling up, does this mean the game will be D6?

Second, will the game have a bestiary that includes additional monsters that we've seen in books but not the game and some that have not be seen in either? Will there be other playable races other than Human, Elf and dwarf?

And finally, I assume 'witcher' will be a class, but do we get to choose which school we come from? and will the books fill out any missing details from the other three that were not mentioned in the book.

You will create your own personall character, you will also build your character's Lifepath, including friends, enemies, lovers...
Fuzion uses d10 and/or d6, depending on preference, for its action rolls.
There will also be gear and items from the Witcher series including a bestiary of monsters.
We dont know yet about different races, but it could be possible, after all you will have a lot of freedom creating your own character

This sounds great but I do hope we're not limited to just playing as "Witchers", it would be amazing to RP as a mage in this universe.

There will be more roles than Witchers, for example merchant kingpin, you can assume that mage is highly possible to be an actual class

Last edited:
That sounds interesting.
You could sell it at GOG in a PDF format - everyone interested will own a printer and buy the dice.

+ many for selling it on GOG, DRM-free. CDPR failed to do it for some other publications however (such as the World of the Witcher book). Their partners didn't accept the approach apparently (Dark Horse).

---------- Updated at 02:10 PM ----------

Anyone have any tips for newcomers to PnP?

Find a good group for it :)

It would be very good news for me... ten years ago.

I really doubt that new RPG will be better that the one we played from 2002 to 2006.

That was it. Better & more realistic rules than Warhammer, Mechwarrior, D&D, Legend of Five Rings, that I played before it. Released only in Poland of course. I would give new version a shot anyway, unfortunately half of my team is in UK now :/

Attachments

• Wiedzmin-gra-wyobrazni-_bn4153.jpg
    Wiedzmin-gra-wyobrazni-_bn4153.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

Together with R.Talsorian Games, makers of the hit pen and paper role-playing system Cyberpunk 2020, we are pleased to announce an agreement to develop The Witcher Role-Playing Game -- the go-to tabletop Witcher experience for pen and paper RPG enthusiasts.

The Witcher Role-Playing Game is currently slated for a mid 2016 release. More information about the system, price and availability will be provided at a later point in time.
I am highly interested in an official Witcher TTRPG in English. I look forward to acquiring the Witcher Campaign Setting Book(s), and will certainly try out this new game to see if I like it! :)

I am curious though, why not update the existing, highly acclaimed Witcher RPG?

I would be very happy to start buying my digital RPGs from GoG.com. And yes such a thing is possible. Steve Jackson games has a PDF store, there are the three OneBookShelf stores, and most other publishers also have their own stores. If GOG sold PDFs like Steve Jackson's store does (with a guarantee that the publisher can't pull your purchases out from under you - something that has happened with One Book Shelf/DriveThruRPG More than once), I would definitely be interested. Especially if they are not watermarked. Watermarked PDFs make me uncomfortable - because what if someone copies files off of my PC without my knowledge or steals my harddrive? Not only am I out my personal data, but then I get blacklisted from whatever PDF site it was if they decide to upload them somewhere public, and I lose all of my purchases!

Why not simply translate and hot-fix the original tabletop from 2001? The one that had entire crunch and rules set to reflect all the different aspects of the setting? The one that codified the setting?
I completely don't get this as marketing move. At all.
I'm a little confused at the reasoning behind this decision myself. Making a 2nd Edition of the highly regarded 2001 Witcher book and translating it seems the obvious decision here.

And then, striking a deal with Talsorian Games? When it will come out? In 2030?
The game they are basing it on is called 2020, not the release date.
Many people I talk to in RPG communities are angry/disappointed/have low faith in Talsorian because of a game called Mekton Zero that was kickstartered in early 2013 for 50k, which they haven't finished, and which they have not given a progress update to since December. It may well be still in active production and forthcoming soon though. You know how the internet is, people tend to react very strongly and fill a lack of facts with speculation.

Some people I've talked to are also quite skeptical about using Fuzion for the Witcher. So far I've been hearing it's a poor fit for the series (I've also heard Fuzion is not a good system - but I've heard that about many systems including ones I think are good, and I've not played it personally - and Cyberpunk2020 3e is regarded rather poorly, which I have often seen people attribute to the switch to the Fuzion system from whatever they were using before 3e).

Last edited:
I am curious though, why not update the existing, highly acclaimed Witcher RPG?

Well, in fact, I dont think it was highly acclaimed. At least if we are talking about the same game.
Even if I consider it the best among all RPGs I've been playing during my RPG years (and it was whole decade), I often met people who thought that it's weak / unbalanced etc. That game needed some minor fixes, that's true, but after that It was (at least for me) a perfect RPG (and that's the reason it was my last) of course if we are tlking about the rules, because everything else is always in GM's hands and if he's weak, then norhing will helph him. Unfortunately, second edition of it never came to be.

What I liked in that game, was the combat system, in which player decisions and tactics were important (unlike Warhammer) and could afford him victory over an opponent with higher stats. Character could be crippled/killed with one single blow, and there were no stupidity like Warhammer's dwarfs, who were more damage-proof while naked than heavy armored knights. Oh, and I was that kind of GM, who plays every fight by the rules & dices even if it means that player characters will die in accidental fight, and for me that game and its rules worked very well. I am not sure how Fuzion system works in that department.

Last edited:
Many people I talk to in RPG communities are angry/disappointed/have low faith in Talsorian because of a game called Mekton Zero that was kickstartered in early 2013 for 50k, which they haven't finished, and which they have not given a progress update to since December. It may well be still in active production and forthcoming soon though. You know how the internet is, people tend to react very strongly and fill a lack of facts with speculation.

the lack of faith in talsorian goes back much farther than their 2013 kickstarter. try the 6 year wait for cyberpunk v3, from 2000-2006. or the nearly 2 years since the man told us on these very forums that chrome 5 was about to drop. or the many delayed projects under mike's time as a producer for microsoft. blown deadlines are just what they do at talsorian. the same way you never trust Peter Molyneux when he talks about the features a game will ship with, you never trust a date on the calendar given by mike and crew.

Top Bottom