CD Projekt RED at GC 2012 (REDkit footage)

+
CD Projekt RED at GC 2012 (REDkit footage)

Its time for more materials from this years GamesCom. Head over to our official blog to watch the exclusive video showing off the REDkit in action for the very first time. The long-awaited editor of the PC version of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings has been received very enthusiastically during the expo by media representatives. Everyone who is interested in participating in the closed beta of the REDkit, can apply here for the early access.

As I said, I'm not a modder but after watching this report the Redkit seems very... easy to handle... or is it only a hope of mine?

Once more, Thank you!!!

saw it moment you uploaded, just bit lazy to type response :p keep up the good work!

Looking good and pretty advanced, no doubt the community is going to come out with many cool things with it!

Kind of dissapoints me that it will release in 2013. But a good product needs time.

I like to thank you CDPR for the awesome support for TW2 and all the effort you put into making the community happy. :)

M4xw0lf said:
Will mods made with the beta already be released to the avid public?

This would be very interesting to know, indeed.

I'm thinking about signing up for the BETA but I've got no experience in modding and I'm afraid I won't be able to contribute to the testing as much as an experienced modder would.Should I apply for the BETA or not?

Haven't really buckled down to any modding since Neverwinter Nights, tried a bit with Dragon Age but just couldn't get motivated and didn't have the time. Only working one job now so I might have a dabble with this when it comes out. Looks spanking.

Seboist said:
Hopefully somebody will be able to "fix" Saskia's boob armor now.
That would require 3D modelling skills and the ability to import new objects into the editor. Tho I'm sure fandom's priority would be nude mod, if Skyrim mod community is anything to go by :p

Also, my little ponies. My little ponies everywhere.

M4xw0lf said:
You are aware of the meaning of the word mod(ification)? - not "add(somethingelse)"

is english your first language? i mean can the tool be used to alter the existing levels(ie, load and edit chapter 2) or does it only create new levels?

seamusgod said:
is english your first language? i mean can the tool be used to alter the existing levels(ie, load and edit chapter 2) or does it only create new levels?

Marek emphasized the ability of REDkit to create "new adventures" and did not emphasize its ability to modify existing levels. That doesn't mean it won't be able to work with existing levels. What I take it to mean is that it's similar in that way to D'jinni: it will be better at creating new levels, but it will have some ability to manipulate existing ones, and it may not be able to manipulate just everything within an existing level.

Wichat said:
As I said, I'm not a modder but after watching this report the Redkit seems very... easy to handle... or is it only a hope of mine?

Once more, Thank you!!!

It depends what you call "easy to handle". What you saw in the video was simply panning shots of landscape, and what looked like a paint tool for trees (much like you "paint" terrain in other editors). Putting the landscape together as far as what you see in the game is not hard, what is hard is the things you don't "see" in the game, but rather you see the result of them being there.

Kind of hard to explain, but think about the sequence in the La Valette dungeon with Arian. IF you didn't kill Arian, if you go one way, you see Arian being tortured. If you go another way, you see Arian after he's been tortured, just outside the torturer's chamber. To achieve that little sequence, you have to have a number of things in place. On a very high level, for each event, you need triggers to trigger each event, animations, models, place markers where your models will appear depending on the trigger activated, path markers to tell each character where to go, animation markers to tell each character what to do, etc etc etc... then of course there has to be code for most of each element, right? For example, you wouldn't like it if Geralt could trigger both events at the same time and you end up with 2 Arians, or both Arian and his mother being tortured at the same time.. and usually that code comes in the form of a script or scripts that need to be written for each trigger, action, etc.

seamusgod said:

It depends on how the tool is distributed to the masses. It is possible, say, that CDPR would release a tool set in which the modder cannot see the quests and the quest code, or in which they cannot alter or override existing scripts even through modules.

Or, they could release a tool like Bethesda's construction set, one which, although a small number of features have been removed from the kit (supposedly due to copyright issues) the kit allows you to completely alter the entire vanilla game including quests, cells, scripts, etc.

Top Bottom