CD PROJEKT RED at PAX East 2016!

+
- you can be half way in the game and start the expansion
The actual line (at 10:34) seems to be:
. . .If you've already played The Witcher, and you're part way through, you'll be able to get a new quest, where you'll be able to go and take part in the new expansion. . .
He doesn't specifically state 'half way', but I would imagine trying to play the expansion at level 20 would be quite a challenge. A higher level will likely be required.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Dont know what to think about that.
So lets say half main game ~level 20 for example.... so my endgame geralt will be way overleveled for the first B&W adventures :no

He doesn't specifically state 'half way', but I would imagine trying to play the expansion at level 20 would be quite a challenge. A higher level will likely be required.

Blood and Wine's recommended level is going to be 40, much like Hearts of Stone's was 30, if I'm not mistaken.

---------- Updated at 11:52 AM ----------

It's going to be interesting, with competitionists finishing the game (Including both expansions.) at well-past level 50, and then NG+ having a cut-off (Level-wise.) of 70. :p

Blood and Wine's recommended level is going to be 40, much like Hearts of Stone's was 30, if I'm not mistaken.

Joke aside. maybe it was just a mistake like Riven-Twain mentioned.
Otherwise it would be baaaaaad.

If I heard correctly, it is "part way", rather than "half way". It is also said that it will be implemented similarly to the first expansion, and that it will be possible to start Blood and Wine separately as well with a pre-leveled character. Making the expansion low level would not make much sense gameplay wise: after it is completed, the player would be over-leveled for the rest of the main quest, while playing it later would make the expansion too easy.

Well then, I retract my previous comment. Unless we have a scene in Kovir added with the patch that inevitably will come with the expansion or there is a scene related with BaW. (Which with what is presently known and expected, makes no sense) Thanks for the verification to those who posted. * I still have no idea how they're going to explain Geralt going to Toussaint, especially within the timeline of the Main Story. Should be interesting to say the least.
:cheers3:

Last edited:
If a standalone Gwent game is made, it will have to be greatly changed. The way it is now, it won't be played for long because it will get repetitive. In real world, I don't think Gwent is a good game. So, I will really not mind if they don't make it. Though, I'd be interested to find out how it is if it is made.

Since the recommended level is 40, I'd guess it is supposed to be post-ending, although we can start the expansion pre-ending if we would like to.

My wild guess is that, while the majority of BaW will be independent from the main story, it will attempt to add closure to the main campaign, because 1. that's one of the major complaints many people have, and 2. BaW is the last adventure of Geralt. So I wouldn't be too surprised if we can only start the expansion after finding Ciri, and Ciri will show up in the expansion to a limited degree.

Since the recommended level is 40, I'd guess it is supposed to be post-ending, although we can start the expansion pre-ending if we would like to.

My wild guess is that, while the majority of BaW will be independent from the main story, it will attempt to add closure to the main campaign, because 1. that's one of the major complaints many people have, and 2. BaW is the last adventure of Geralt. So I wouldn't be too surprised if we can only start the expansion after finding Ciri, and Ciri will show up in the expansion to a limited degree.

"Since the recommended level is 40, I'd guess it is supposed to be post-ending, although we can start the expansion pre-ending if we would like to."

Was this already confirmed? Thanks.

"My wild guess is that, while the majority of BaW will be independent from the main story, it will attempt to add closure to the main campaign"

I believe we'll get something along these lines as well. Whether it's implemented into BaW or via the patch that will accompany Baw remains to be seen. I do not think it will be like you've suggested with Ciri but hey, anything is possible. It does go against CDPR stating that we can begin BaW at any point during the main game however.

I've had my own suspicions that this would be post-game or similarly to what you said above, it would have some post-game scenes added for closure, primarily Geralts in-game romance decision playing a factor.
During the Gwent-ception talk, towards the end, the fan who asked about Kovir (fan said Kashmir :p ) and if players would see Triss, Damien and Rafal basically answered that that would be a spoiler if they answered the fans question. (Please excuse my paraphrasing) So that's some food for thought.

Last edited:
Was this already confirmed? Thanks.

I do not think so, but
the level cap in NG+ is increased to 100 according to that CNet article (if I recall correctly), that does suggest the expansion quests will have high recommended levels. Although it could also just mean there will be a new "NG++" mode that adds 30 to the level of everything again.

During the Gwent-ception talk, towards the end, the fan who asked about Kovir (fan said Kashmir :p ) and if players would see Triss, Damien and Rafal basically answered that that would be a spoiler if they answered the fans question. (Please excuse my paraphrasing) So that's some food for thought.

It would also be a spoiler though if they clearly said "no", so the answer unfortunately does not tell much.

Top Bottom