CD Projekt RED in the future

+
Yeah Guy N'wah is spot on but it would be nice for them to do 3 pojects at once when they grow enough (3 year for game development time) so we could have one CPDR game each year :D

Reod said:
There is a lot of good fantasy and sci-fi books and such in central and east europe.Personaly i woul kill for CDPR game in "The Book of Entirety" universe writen by Feliks W. Kres :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feliks_W._Kres

Its medieval dark universe with sparse magic (mostly by weird artifacts ) i dont know if it was translated to english but if anyone have chance to read it do it... also each book is very thick(witch i love :D/> ).I wont spoil it but in my opinion its on par with Witcher universe.

Or game based on "Hell and épée" series also from same author its "dark fantasy set in an alternate 17th century, with demons and beings older than Satan himself".

Thank you! I was just looking for something new to read. Russian translation seems to be praised for quality.

Bioware is the perfect example of this in my opinion. They were one of the greats. They did a great job in creating great RPGs, they got big, doing it. When that happened, EA smelled it in the waters and came in and bought them out. Now they churn out crap. OK I don't want to see that happen with CDPR, I've seen it happen with too many good independent developers over the years, I'd go find more of them but I'm dealing with a migraine that is trying to put me under the bed, so maybe later.

What I'm saying is that just because CDPR could well manage to pull off becoming one of the greats, and I can see it happening, I have seen what the sharks in the industry can do. They don't ask permission to come in and take over, if they don't get permission, they find another way to do it, but it happens all the same and that is what I don't want to see, that is why I'd rather see them stay a small, very independent, very successful developer, putting out awesome games that make you think about the decisions those games ask you to make, and suck you into worlds that you never even thought about.

Reod said:
Yeah Guy N'wah is spot on but it would be nice for them to do 3 pojects at once when they grow enough (3 year for game development time) so we could have one CPDR game each year :D/>/>

Id rather they focus on one brilliant game than 3 like you suggest. TBH CDP on the whole is still small in comparison to developers that do have the ability to produce the 3 games.

Even then sometimes it produces repetitive and dull games that are tailored to the many, IE Bethesda and Activision.

Just repeating what Guy said :p/>.

I don't understand what the point is in going massively mainstream and losing control of your own future. This is like hoping a metal band that is successful worldwide only with select audiences (say, viking metal) became larger and popular just because, even if they had to play hip hop instead. Or like wishing a local restaurant specialized in fine dining started serving greasy nachos and fried chicken because lots of people would love it.

Some things should remain within certain limits to keep their original goals and the quality of their work. I wish CDPR success but I also hope they keep making excellent DRM-free games for adults. Some of these monetary conditions that are being requested make this difficult or impossible.

Good Evening All,

Very nice discussion here I'm enjoying what I am reading so far, I Will have to agrre with Kyrienes' last post about Bioware "Being " one of the greats, and hoping I am not taking the comment out of context, I'll use my experience of DragonAge as the example. When I purchased my original DA:Origins and played it I was very satisfied with the game play experience that the Devs from Bioware gave me,and in support of it I bought most of the DLC as well along with DAO;Awakening.

Then came DA:2

I was all excited for that but was hugely disappointed in that one, so much so that I literally played it to the first town and never played it sense. I don't know what people were thinking with that one but for me it was total BS for me, rinse and repeat and cookie cutter areas with never ending spawns of mobs. Well...that's how I remember it anyway.

So I agree that when the " Big Companies " ( Sharks ) smell the blood ( Potential Profits ) the hell with quality... Lets make money instead.

I'm still not going to give up on Bioware just yet, their DragonAge Inquisition could be their diamond in the rough I guess time will tell.

I would Love to See CDP-Red become the top rung that everyone strives to get to, but definitely don't let the $$$$$$$$ blind them, small and in control is the way to go I would have to agree,

Cheers!

Becoming big is not a problem. CDPR selling themselves to some DRM obsessed legacy publishers like EA, that's bad. But that's really up to CDPR. No one forced Bioware to sell themselves either. They could stay independent if they'd wish to. So, if CDPR want to stay independent - they will, even of they'll grow.

Gilrond said:
Becoming big is not a problem. CDPR selling themselves to some DRM obsessed legacy publishers like EA, that's bad. But that's really up to CDPR. No one forced Bioware to sell themselves either. They could stay independent if they'd wish to. So, if CDPR want to stay independent - they will, even of they'll grow.
This , nobody here wants(or talks) them here to go "mainstream" as most ppls understands that term (dumbed down cash grabs etc etc).

But cool down a bit sit and think about it in this way :

What if CDPR would become big publisher with their values?What if their vision of business bacame mainstream ( no more silly dlc , lots of goodies , big expansions and good games).Is that wrong to dream for that kind publisher?

And i think this is what meant to say OP.I said it personaly i would love them to but with their own IP's and good games.

But seems ppls are too burned by todays gaming industry behaviors to think optimistic.Well im still optimistic and i think that CDPR bacoming publisher wouldnt lose their way.

EDIT : Not publisher in EA/Activision etc league but still publishing own games.And looking how contracts for publishing and dicrtibution goes in CDPR history i think they are going in that way with small steps , not rushing it.

Gilrond said:

The Bioware deal is actually a good example of exactly what you must not do if you intend to remain independent. Bioware took venture capital money. They took $300 million of it, from Riccitello's Elevation Partners, to merge with Pandemic. This made Riccitello the CEO. At that point, there was no resistance anybody could mount to the merger with EA.

If you want to stay independent, you have to raise capital in ways that do not hand over control of the company to others.

Reod said:
This , nobody here wants(or talks) them here to go "mainstream" as most ppls understands that term (dumbed down cash grabs etc etc).

But cool down a bit sit and think about it in this way :

What if CDPR would become big publisher with their values?What if their vision of business bacame mainstream ( no more silly dlc , lots of goodies , big expansions and good games).Is that wrong to dream for that kind publisher?

And i think this is what meant to say OP.I said it personaly i would love them to but with their own IP's and good games.

Well, given previously metal band example illustrates why it may be impossible. Sure, a lot of people love In Extremo, but not as many as love this blond kid, what a hell is his name, I forgot. With a strictly niche music, movies, or games you simply can't reasonably expect audience to increase much. Style and approach stay the same - target audience is pretty much the same. So there are two ways to do it: to produce more games for an original target audience (and CDPR, it seems, doing just this by developing TW3 and CP), or to change style in order to increase their target audience and to get much more profits from a single game. I am all for the first approach, but it won't make them rich or large. They will have more sales from two games, but more expenses as well.

Twenty years ago CDPR really was just a CD project: a guy with a compact disk. Back then no one would have said that adults would play games, or that there would ever be a market for a game that could make people think. Had I said otherwise at that time I would have been reprimanded with "reality". Yet here we are waiting for the third installment of just such a game.

Markets change. Demographics change. The world will be very different in just another decade's time, and you have to have a goal. A dream. It doesn't mean being imprudent or overly ambitious. But saying that conditions aren't right for it right now or that big companies "will find a way" of buying out the indie developer is not a valid argument. The likes EA and Activision will have to change along with the markets, and it's up to us to make those markets in our own small way.

Thothistox said:
Twenty years ago CDPR really was just a CD project: a guy with a compact disk. Back then no one would have said that adults would play games, or that there would ever be a market for a game that could make people think. Had I said otherwise at that time I would have been reprimanded with "reality". Yet here we are waiting for the third installment of just such a game.

Back in 1993 there WERE games for adults and games that made you think. It was the golden age of (graphical) adventures and cRPG's were getting more complex (Betrayal at Krondor for example). There were also plenty of puzzle games.

Back then my dad had a friend his age who had a computer almost exclusively for Chessmaster.

So here is a Intellectual Property (IP) that will be auctioned off on December 11th, 2013.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/21/about-two-dozen-parties-interested-in-38-studios-ip

I think CD Projket RED should purchase the whole entire Intellectual Property (IP) for Kingdoms of Amalur for either $1 million dollars (USD) or up to $6 million dollars (USD) no more than that. Then CD Projekt RED can keep it for a while or try to find a good video game development company to develop a new Kingoms of Amalur video game and CD Projekt RED can publish it and maintain the existing one and sell it on GoG.com :D/>/>. I would be so happy and purchase any new Kingdoms of Amalur + from GoG.com, and Steam. I have no idea how much money CD Projekt RED has because they already spent a whole lot of money on The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Cyberpunk 2077, hiring more people, and opening more buildings.

Your thoughts.

Ballowers100 said:
So here is a Intellectual Property (IP) that will be auctioned off on December 11th, 2013.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/21/about-two-dozen-parties-interested-in-38-studios-ip

I think CD Projket RED should purchase the whole entire Intellectual Property (IP) for Kingdoms of Amalur for either $1 million dollars (USD) or up to $6 million dollars (USD) no more than that. Then CD Projekt RED can keep it for a while or try to find a good video game development company to develop a new Kingoms of Amalur video game and CD Projekt RED can publish it and maintain the existing one and sell it on GoG.com :D/>/>/>/>. I would be so happy and purchase any new Kingdoms of Amalur + from GoG.com, and Steam. I have no idea how much money CD Projekt RED has because they already spent a whole lot of money on The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Cyberpunk 2077, hiring more people, and opening more buildings.

Your thoughts.

It has potential, but it does not have a ready-made following. The Red team has concentrated on titles where they have a following in their core market, and they have good reason for not subcontracting game development. Some have estimated the additional cost of making anything useful out of the bits and pieces of Copernicus at $90 million. It would have to be a great bargain to be worth the risk.

An extreme biased opinion I'd say no to Amalur. It doesn't have a great reputation and probably the smallest of cult praise. It's lore was not too bad in some areas and the combat was alright. It's only problem is it's yet another high generic fantasy realm and very WoW-esque in the graphics and world though that could be changed.

My predictions are it will be another huge money dump and loss.

Didn't care much for KoA so I'd be perfectly fine with CDPR not acquiring the IP. I also don't think it fits the theme they're going for in their games.

Ballowers100 said:
Your thoughts.
No.

I only tried the demo but didn't find the game at all engaging. And the artstyle was just awful. I just don't see CDPR investing in said franchise when they can easily come up with their own IP with far more interesting and original setting.

HomemComH said:
They should make more PC exclusives.
That would be the ideal deal for me but it's not going to happen. Nobody is going to back you up financially for staying exclusive to PC and there's a big and profitable market on the consoles.

Better get used to playing games developed for the lowest common denominator (like TW2) or just give up gaming altogether.. :/

Top Bottom