Cd Projekt Red : Why do you force gamers by playing Patch 1.6 ?

+
Cd Projekt Red : Why do you force gamers by playing Patch 1.6 ?

There is a well fact everyone is talking about : Pc version Patch 1.5 and 1.6 has The worst LOD in The game .
- Npc Pop In
- Textures
- Buildings
- Terrain

Why im unable to run older patches with my Savegames ? .Fix this issue so Gamers can choose whatever patch they want without Starting w3 again and Use their Load-games .

Thanks

Last edited:
Well you could download the game and only run it at 1.02 last time I checked, I'm sure some hosting site will have the 1.04 patch.

You would just have to use a save from that time, but then most games don't guarantee backwards compatibility of save files as usually something critical changes.

Why im unable to run older patches with my Savegames ? Fix this issue so Gamers can choose whatever patch they want without Starting w3 again and Use their Load-games .

That is not how it works. Not at all. A savegame (thus the name) backs up and stores a lot of variables that determin your progress. Seems no problem for backwards compatibility right?

But now we come to the crux of it, how do you imagine are active quests stored?
All the scrips and currently running processes are snapshoted and are stored to a temporal state.
Now, not only what you see as quests gets stored and is running via a similar system, but every action in the game, every single script the game needs to process all of it's content in such scrips, from the NPCs to the weather, so all of them are written temporarily into your save.
Now change one of those scrips with a patch, maybe even change it's structure (how it'S written), updating to the new version is no problem, as the temporally stored variables are reused for the import, but the other way round it is simply not possible. Each patch would require a toolset that can convert every single file in the game back to all previous game versions, imagine the filesize of those patches, imagine the workload for each patch. You'd basically be rewriting close to every script in the game for every patch to ensure backwards compatibility. Not a good solution, right? So far for the compatibility.

For the LOD let's agree to disagree (or to be precise to agree upon you prefer the slightly better LOD, I prefer a huge load of fixes which even fix some gamebreaking bugs, both valid points from a certain point of view are they not?)

Last edited:
Top Bottom