CD PROJEKT RED x Twitch: Support A Streamer

+

Chooms!

We’re thrilled to announce that we are partnering with Twitch to host Support a Streamer for the release of Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty! Twitch viewers will be rewarded with a unique weapon skin - the Yasha sniper rifle - for gifting subscriptions to participating streamers.

Starting September 25 until October 21, support your favorite, eligible streamers and you can receive the Yasha sniper rifle skin that will unlock in-game in Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty!

We will announce more details about Support a Streamer for our whole community soon, but today, we want to address all of you awesome creators on Twitch!

If you’re interested in participating in Support A Streamer with your channel, please fill out this form until 10 September 2023 at 23:59 PST (08:59 CEST) - we’ll go through all applications and pick as many of you as possible! The language of your content doesn’t matter - we’re open to creators from all over the world. The only requirement is that you’ve streamed any of CD PROJEKT RED’s games since December 2020.

Stay tuned for more info!

Cool beans! (Do the kids still say that?) My Twitch channel is
....so far, _zero_ subs, but I have hopes.

Actually I have _no hope_ but you'll never win if you don't roll the dice...

“…skin that will unlock in-game…”

Hmm, interesting. Is that worded right? This sort of implies we‘ll get to choose the skins of weapons, am I right in thinking that? Or is this just putting a new gun in your stash?

“…skin that will unlock in-game…”

Hmm, interesting. Is that worded right? This sort of implies we‘ll get to choose the skins of weapons, am I right in thinking that? Or is this just putting a new gun in your stash?
I think they mean another skin/version of a weapon as a separate item, not a skin that you can apply to your weapon.

Oh my god. As if the money goes to CDPR...
This can potentially support small streamers you know?

I have zero interest in Twitch. So many games offer rewards through Twitch these days. I get none of 'em because I can't be bothered to make a Twitch account just for that.

Yet... It's pretty obvious, even for someone like me, that this is a win-win for everyone involved. CDPR gets free publicity and streamers get a few free fans thrown at them. No one loses here.

The lengths some people will go to turn everything against CDPR (or others), even when it's clearly positive, astounds me.

Thanks for showing your support for Cyberpunk 2077 fans streaming Phantom Liberty CDPR!
It's quite a nice bonus for people looking to support their favourite streamer.

I have zero interest in Twitch. So many games offer rewards through Twitch these days. I get none of 'em because I can't be bothered to make a Twitch account just for that.

Yet... It's pretty obvious, even for someone like me, that this is a win-win for everyone involved. CDPR gets free publicity and streamers get a few free fans thrown at them. No one loses here.

The lengths some people will go to turn everything against CDPR (or others), even when it's clearly positive, astounds me.
How exactly is having to create a twitch account and pay a streamer to get a skin in the game a win/win situation from a consumer standpoint? And how is this similar to the rewards offered for other games on Twitch - the requirement for Twitch drops is usually to watch a streamer for a certain amount of time, not gift them subs?

It's essentially CDPR charging you for a weapon skin (something that should at most be a free DLC - CDPR's words, not mine) by proxy (cross-promotional campaigns like this one don't just happen for free, you know). In fact, I'd argue this is worse than paying for weapon skins, because not only do I have to pay money, but now I am being asked to create a 3rd party account on top of that. This stinks so much of the Creation Club nonsense Bethesda tried to pull a few years ago, trying to justify it with modders being paid for their work (in this case, it's streamers).

What astounds me is the extent to which some people will go to ignore/spin all of the anti-consumer practices CDPR have started dabbling in recently - practices the company itself has denounced in the past.

How exactly is having to create a twitch account and pay a streamer to get a skin in the game a win/win situation from a consumer standpoint? And how is this similar to the rewards offered for other games on Twitch - the requirement for Twitch drops is usually to watch a streamer for a certain amount of time, not gift them subs?

It's essentially CDPR charging you for a weapon skin (something that should at most be a free DLC - CDPR's words, not mine) by proxy (cross-promotional campaigns like this one don't just happen for free, you know). In fact, I'd argue this is worse than paying for weapon skins, because not only do I have to pay money, but now I am being asked to create a 3rd party account on top of that. This stinks so much of the Creation Club nonsense Bethesda tried to pull a few years ago, trying to justify it with modders being paid for their work (in this case, it's streamers).

What astounds me is the extent to which some people will go to ignore/spin all of the anti-consumer practices CDPR have started dabbling in recently - practices the company itself has denounced in the past.

Exactly. It's a goddamn skin. Something that has absolutely no effect on your game. It's not even some unique weapon. It's a damn smart rifle. You already have those in your game.

From a consumer standpoint, it's pretty easy. Don't care about something that has zero effect on the game? Don't care about something that doesn't add any kind of meaningful content to the game?

Then don't subscribe.

You're acting as if CDPR is trying to scam you out of your share of the El Dorado.

CDPR isn't pushing some kind of awesome additional DLC through Twitch. It's a skin for a weapon that already exists.

I swear some people think every company out there is acting like they're twisting their arm into buying stuff they don't need. Don't like it? Don't need it? Move on. That's all. It's a nice move for streamers, it's free publicity for their newest product and you don't have any obligation to buy it.

Yeah, the fact that it's going towards supporting a streamer is what makes it okay in my books. And, indeed, it's just a skin. If it was going straight to CDPR, that would be completely different (because that would suggest the value of the skin was 4/5 bucks or whatever it is, which would be daft). But supporting a streamer? That completely reframes things because now that money doesn't solely represent the value of the skin; it mostly represents the value of the streamer.

Tbh im not that happy about it even if i have a twitch account. Its not really about the skin tho for me. Its the common practice of giving stuff ingame for pre order and or subs so on. Not a fan of that no matter the company or game doing it. It must suck for collectors to have to jump trough hoops juts to get this or that. Its probably great got CDPR and the streamers tho.

The reward in this program is the rifle with a unique skin. You will not need to apply the skin, you will simply get the painted rifle in your inventory.

The rifle model itself however will be obtainable within the game without the need to participate in the program. So you can get it, but not with this particular skin.

"Mindless f***ing consumerism wins the day again" - Johnny Silverhand

Extremely disappointing really... and this is from someone who loves the game tremendously.

Would've grabbed it had it been a simple "Watch for X hours" of a stream type of thing, but this "Pay streamer X cash" for in-game content can go crash and burn in a dumpster fire, hate it with passion.

Top Bottom